Old 06-19-2004, 11:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 247/177.5/130

Height: 5'3"

Default Question... Breast Reduction Surgery

I have been pondering Breast Reduction Surgery.. I have lost over 50 nearly 60 lbs and only a cup size. About 6 years ago, I was approved by my insurance company for the surgery.. I was actually sitting in Pre-Op with the IV and all the markings on my breasts. I had a higher than normal white blood count because I had an upper respiratory infection on its way out and the surgeon suggested we wait because it was too risky for the infection to settle in causing complications with recovery. I, at that time was having a terrible feeling about going under anesthesia. I never went back.... My weight is less now that it was before this first episode and my breasts are much larger than before. Has anyone had this procedure done? If so what is your advice? Do you think I should start proceeding with this now or should I wait until I reach my goal of 140? I think this is going to have to be done eventually, I have been large breasted all my life and I have had chronic mild back pain ever since I can remember.. I am so scared...... What are your thoughts?

Last edited by tolose85; 06-19-2004 at 11:14 PM.
tolose85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 11:18 PM   #2  
I climb mountains!

S/C/G: 284/208/145

Default What a surprise, it's me!

Hey Gretchen, I had the surgery years ago and I'm happy to tell you anything you want to know about my experience. Ask me anything. I would recommend that you wait till you've lost all the weight, and then I would recommend with every fiber of my being (and that's still quite a lot of fibers! ) that you do it. You'll never regret it, I promise. It's life-altering. Really.
lessofsarahtolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2004, 11:23 PM   #3  

Thats pretty much the message I get all around... Do it.. I am seriously considering it. The supporting documentation is there. I have what the call "stress" marks that are really red and much different that "stretch" marks.. Hmmm.. I might take you up on a conversation on this subject!! Thanks Sarah!!
Old 06-19-2004, 11:30 PM   #4  
I climb mountains!

What exactly is your fear, if I may ask? What's concerns are holding you back?
Old 06-20-2004, 07:35 AM   #5  

I don't know exactly what the fear is... I will have to sit down and really think about that one.
Old 06-20-2004, 10:19 AM   #6  
Live for the Moment!

Gretchen,

My best friend just had this done several months ago and is very glad she did. She was a chronic back pain sufferer (so bad, she would occasionaly have to go to the hospital for a shot of a strong pain reliever). She lost a lot of weight and then finally decided to take the leap and do it, however she does say that it was one of the hardest decisions to make - trust me, she had a very hard time doing it and overcoming her numerous fears.

My advice to you, is wait until all the weight is gone so you know for sure how much you want to be reduced by, pinpoint what your biggest fear with the procedure is and then you have to decide if getting the reduction is more important to you than not facing that fear.

Either way, this is can be a life changing event so you want to ensure you are mentally and physically ready. Address all issues before going forward...

Good Luck!
Br00klyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 11:54 AM   #7  

My mother-in-law is having it done this coming Monday. She is so excited. She is in her 40's and wishes she had done it years ago. I'll let you know how it goes with her. She suffers from chronic back and neck pain. Gretchen, more than likely your back pain is just going to get worse over the years. I don't see anything wrong with you going ahead and having it done once you are at your goal weight.

Here are what my fears would be with a surgery such as you are thinking about.
1. The doctor might mess up and I would be deformed for life.
2. Something might go wrong and I might die.
3. Something might go wrong and I would have a stroke or something like that that would change the rest of my life.

Those are the first things that come to mind for me. If I sat here longer I could probably think of a few more. There are always going to be risks associated with any surgery.

Gretchen, are you having emotional issues that make you scared about this surgery? Maybe something deeper that you are just not quite aware of yet? Or, do you just think it is just the risks of having surgery that make you scared?
Tammy32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 03:21 AM   #8  

Im planning to have custom breast reduction after I lose my weight to make my chest flat.

basically they just cut in your skin and remove part of your breasts.
bmxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:32 AM   #9  
I AM MY KIDS MOM

S/C/G: 208/162/135

Height: 5' 2.5"

Gretchen,
Is the dr. well known? Do you know anyone else that has had the surgery done?

I wish you luck in whatever decision you choose!
mompen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:34 AM   #10  
I can do this!

Height: 5'11"

Gretchen,

I'm planning on doing this unless my breasts get much, much smaller. Here's what I've learned from talking to a lot of people:
  • Don't do it until you are totally sure you are not going to lose any more weight.
  • Don't do it until after you have children if you plan on breastfeeding.

I've had sinus surgery three times and thus been under anaesthesia. It can make you very naseous, keeps you kind of "sleepy" for about three months, but other than that, is very manageable. Check out the stats on how many people actually are harmed by surgery to help you feel more comfortable with it, if that is your worry.

Nobody deserves to bear that amount of weight on their chest around...I hope you can get yours safely reduced so you can enjoy your healthy new body!
beachgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 10:05 AM   #11  
I climb mountains!

Laurie, I am sorry you've had to deal with all that surgery to improve your sinuses! Gretchen, I wholeheartedly agree with her advice to get some concrete data on anesthesia-related risk so that you can better inform your anxiety. (!) For the record, I didn't experience anywhere near 3 months of drowsiness from the anesthesia.....at worst, it was like a week. I did have nausea afterwards, but I was told that was from the painkillers post-procedure.

Gretchen, the offer still stands to talk about it anytime you feel like. Open invitation, no pressure.
Old 07-27-2004, 10:59 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Gretchen,

I think that if it's something you really want to do, you should do it when you get to your GW, which is pretty soon anyway!

I think anything that helps you, physically and emotionally, is a good thing. I'm also looking into this unless my breasts shrink drastically by some huge miracle.

I know that you have valid concerns, but when you do your research and talk to your doctor, I think you'll feel much better.

Good luck!
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote