Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2004, 12:41 AM   #1  
missaprylj

Lightbulb Lent <OT>

What are you giving up for Lent? (For those of you who do that, of course.)
Ash Wednesday is 2/25 and I have no idea what do to this year....

Old 02-22-2004, 01:49 AM   #2  

I posted the same question in another category? I saw this idea under Bobbie Tops and am going to suggest it to my weight loss support group this week. I think I will take a few food items each week and give up. What have you given up in the past at Lent? I was thinking of giving up cookies and salty snacks and fried foods this week. Each week give up something different. Surely we can lose a few oz. and hopefully a few pounds in 6 weeks?
Old 02-22-2004, 06:12 PM   #3  
missaprylj

I think it means more to me to give up the same things for the full 40 days. I did pizza, soda, chocolate, and donuts last year. For 40 days. I'm still looking for something this year, but I think Chinese Food may be one of them.

Old 02-23-2004, 08:57 PM   #4  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

since I no longer eat sweets, this one was hard to figure out this year. But right now my FAVORITE snack is popcorn (when I can fit in the calories), so that is what I plan to give up.

Last year one of my friends went to mass 2 or 3 times a week during lent instead of giving something up, she added that. Thought that was interesting.
Old 02-23-2004, 09:02 PM   #5  
missaprylj

I've considered that, but it's just not practical. Mass is at 7:30 a.m., school is at 8:15. Darn.

I'm thinking Chinese Food, coffee and chocolate.

Old 02-24-2004, 12:04 PM   #6  
Gonna fly now!

S/C/G: 280/280/150

Height: 5'6

Sandi, that is very interesting! I have heard of people "taking on" a discipline instead of (or in addition to) giving something up. Like an extra spiritually based class, read a new book, etc.

Last year I gave up watching QVC for Lent, and my bank account sure felt better about it! Seriously, though, it can be addicting because they have such beautiful jewelry, accessories, clothes. . .etc, etc, etc!

Haven't decided what to give up this year yet. Maybe something food oriented. Or maybe it should be my extra spending ~ that's a toughie.
Old 02-24-2004, 04:21 PM   #7  
beautiful

i only do lent when someone reminds me to do it. i'll give up pop, since i'm out anyway. (have you tried that diet rite peach? YUMMY!) and i'm gonna say i'll give up cigarettes (since i feel a cold coming on) though i don't know if i can actually do it but i'm going to try really hard and maybe if i can do it for that long i won't start back! fast food is going, alcohol is going. and i'll try extra hard to stay within my points for the 40 days.
Old 02-25-2004, 02:37 PM   #8  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

I am not Catholic.. but I am a Christian.. good luck to all of you!!
I am going to see The Passion of the Christ tonight.. we got our tickets last week. It's supposed to be pretty powerful.
Old 02-25-2004, 03:51 PM   #9  

I'm giving up caffeine....YIKES! And the way I feel right now I'm gonna give up men too
Old 02-25-2004, 08:25 PM   #10  
missaprylj

Yeah, some local Protestant church is showing Passion for free for all teens this Saturday. I have to go to my Great Aunt's funeral.

Closed Thread