Closed Thread

Old 01-17-2004, 05:04 PM   #16  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

I love Great Big Sea - I miss all these Canadian bands that I never hear down here!
Old 01-17-2004, 07:07 PM   #17  

Does the song " lady wearing tight fitting jeans" ring a bell to anyone?? this song is a good work out song for me cause it makes me want to be that lady in tight fitting jeans!
Old 01-19-2004, 10:05 AM   #18  

Slimdown & Lekker - I knew the Canadians would know the Hip! Lekker - I love Great Big Sea too....kinda Irish traditional meets rock meets folk? True - how do you classify them??

Monkeybabies - yeah, sometimes my belly gets in the way of yoga moves! I really like the yoga though, everybody is so focused on their own bodies they don't really notice me falling over in the back of the studio! Everyone can hear you fall over during aerobics! YIKES...
Old 01-19-2004, 10:10 AM   #19  
You can do it!!!!

S/C/G: 294/260/200

Height: 5'3

Angry

"Monkeybabies - yeah, sometimes my belly gets in the way of yoga moves! I really like the yoga though, everybody is so focused on their own bodies they don't really notice me falling over in the back of the studio! Everyone can hear you fall over during aerobics! YIKES

OMG...too funny. So, what kind of Yoga do you practice? I know there is different kinds like Hatha Yoga and such. How did you get it to this? This is something that I would like to get into (perhaps once I loose some rolls.... ) I saw Yoga for dummies at the books store...looked like a good book for me.
Old 01-19-2004, 10:29 AM   #20  

I'm just starting out in yoga - I'm taking Sivananda yoga at the community centre. My fiancé is going with me...and he seems to really like it - which surprised me, quite frankly...he is more a football kinda guy. Fortunately, there happen to be just as many men as women in this particular class. The lady who teaches at our community centre also teaches at yoga studios, but the community centre classes are less than half the cost! A video (or DVD) might be easier to learn from than a book...I know in Canada there is are a few television yoga classes - that might be a good way to test it out before buying a video or taking a class?
Old 01-19-2004, 11:43 AM   #21  
You can do it!!!!

Great Suggestion Kris.....I never heard of Sivanada yoga....can you ellaborate???
Old 01-19-2004, 08:02 PM   #22  

I use exercise dvds and videos, so I don't have music on at that time, but I love tons of different music, singer songwriters like Sarah McLachlan/Shawn Colvin, etc, classic rock, a bit of country (saw Pam Tillis and mary chapin carpenter in concert), U2, The Police, October Project, Over the Rhine ...I could post a huge list.

Loosin It-I love the Canadian singer/harpist Loreena McKennitt. Her music would be PERFECT to use as background for a yoga practice. Have you heard the Canadian group "Imaginary Heaven?" Their music would be lovely for yoga as well.

I've heard Tragically Hip. I'm also a big fan of Barenaked Ladies-first heard them way back in 1992..also like Kate and Anna McGarrigle, Joni Mitchell...and my husband is a huge fan of Guess Who. We have a lot of Canadian music in our New Jersey home!

Dana, I've heard Great Big Sea-we're lucky to have an excellent college radio station. I liked them !

There is a Canadian yoga teacher who has relased two workouts. His name is Eoin Finn. People on the exercise video boards I'm on are raving over it.

Kris, if you get the Women's network in Canada, Sharon Mann has a great show-she has cardio workouts, yoga, pilates, stability ball, kickboxing...we just started getting her show on Fit TV in the states. I have her three DVD set also. I also like Charlene Prickett as well. Her shows alternate between cardio, steo and strength training.

My favorite yoga workouts are with the instructor Sara Ivanhoe.

Sherry

Last edited by suzie76; 01-19-2004 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:36 PM   #23  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

No Doubt
Sugar Ray
Mighty Mighty Bosstones
Anything disco
Old 01-20-2004, 12:41 PM   #24  

Wow! Sherry - you are now an honorary Canadian! I am impressed with your Canadian music knowledge! Sarah McLachlan and the Barenaked Ladies are also favourites of mine! BNL are good for aerobic workouts...their music is so upbeat. I hadn't thought to use Loreen McKennit for yoga - but you are right, she would be perfect! I don't know "Imaginary Heaven", but I'll check them out.

I do get the Women's Television Network - I'll be sure to check out Sharon Mann! Sounds like she has some pretty varied workouts, which is what I need. Thanks for the info!

Monkeybabies - I'm pretty new to yoga. Sivivanda is the only type that I have tried (other than the Ali Mcgraw video). It seems to be quite calm, but should be good for toning. It is verrrry relaxing. There is some "ohming", which I thought would weird me out, but I truly quite like! I think that there are other types which focus more on the workout than sivivanda, but I like that my classes are also an hour and a half for me to relax and enjoy. I have a friend (that is very into yoga) that I could ask about different types of yoga, if you are interested...
Old 01-20-2004, 09:54 PM   #25  
You can do it!!!!

Sure that would be great....I have no clue!!! OOOOHHHHHHMMMMMM!!!!
Closed Thread