Closed Thread

Old 10-10-2003, 01:22 AM   #1  

Angry Hi New and Willing!

Hi.
I was recommended this group by: mthrgoos68 & Kristasmom. Thank you ladies for the kinds words of support.
First of all let me tell you about myself. I am 30, but I most definately feel about 22, younger if not for this dreaded weight I carry around.
I have just recently been trying to understand some of the issues of my depression that has kept me from wanting to lose weight. By this you can tell, I am an emotional eater. I eat when I am angry, sad, lonely, dissappointed or bored.
I have 2 kids and I am married.
Just recently I got the courage to stand on a scale where I wanted to know what I weighed. First time in my life!! Well I am sad & embarrassed to say that I am 298lbs.
How will I ever get this weight off? I don't even know what diet will be good 4 me and which one I will stick to. The word "diet" makes me ill. Seriously! I have history of diabetes and heart failure in my family and I am a statistic.
What do you all suggest? How much should I weight. I am 5"6" tall. Whenever I consider trying to lose weight I give myself too much to handle and I fall off the wagon. And I am right back to where I started. What are some small goals that I could go for? Then as I succeed, I can go for bigger! Right? I know once I start losing weight, I won't want to stop, but getting that first pound of is my problem!
I am so sick of my fat. Please guide me with your helpful support.
And I will inturn be forever greatful and will offer my support in the future!
Islandgurl
Old 10-10-2003, 01:26 AM   #2  

Height: 5' 7"

So glad you came, Islandgurl!

Here's the deal -- none of us can lose all the weight we want to today. Wish I could, in fact, I complained about that only a few days ago, but the reality is it took me a long time to get this weight on, and it will take a while to get it off.

And I'll never be a size 6. But this is OK.

What I can do is, just for today, we can eat healthily. That means following whatever plan works for you. If you want to do Weight Watchers, that's cool. If you want to do South Beach, or Sugar Busters, that's okay too. Various eating programs work better for each of us.

Personally, because I'm older, I'm eating a sort-of neo-vegetarian with some low-fat meat, because I'm in my 50s, and I need to learn how to eat properly to prevent heart disease. Other people need to get their sugar under control.

The first step is to start learning what works for you. Go to the public library or a good bookstore, and get some basic information on healthy eating. Some resources some of us use are the Weight Watchers program, the Harvard Guide to Healthy Eating, Prevention magazine, and a variety of other resouces.
The bottom line is that with over 100 lbs to lose AND KEEP OFF, no faddy, crashy program is going to work.

What I've committed to, and many others who post here have committed to, is that I am learning to eat healthily, eating proper portion sizes, and to eat as though I had already lost the weight I want to lose. That means I eat around 1200-1600 calories per day, I drink a lot of water, and I engage in some form of exercise every day. Some eat more, some eat less. It also means that whenever I eat food that isn't as healthy for me as I liked, or when I eat too much, I forgive myself, and get back on my food plan.

Exercise can be fun, or it can be a pain. I swim several times a week, as I love the water, and it doesn't hurt my poor arthritic knees. I am also starting to do some weight training. Other people do yoga, or pilates, or they just walk. You don't have to do a lot to get started exercising. If you start with 5 minutes a day, you'll find that soon you can do 10 minutes, and then more and more.

Enough from me. Read our biographies, and dive into the posts. When you don't understand what we're talking about, just ask.
Good luck!

290/256/250/160
SW/CW/STG/LTG
starting weight/current weight/short-term goal/long-term goal

Last edited by KristasMom; 10-10-2003 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-10-2003, 08:31 AM   #3  

Island Gurl, so glad you joined us!! You will definitely find support and encouragement here.

It's definitely all about finding what works for you. There are lots of great eating plans out there, but if you hate the food or it doesn't fit in with your lifestyle, then it won't work for you.

Don't think of it as a diet, think of it as a healthier lifestyle. Don't put the pressure on yourself of having to lose a certain amount of pounds in a certain amount of time, just decide that you're going to get healthier. As you make healthier choices, the weight will start to come off.

There are lots of little things to do to get started. Drink your water and lots of it. Drink, drink, drink.

Start some kind of exercise. I know it's so hard to get started, but even if you just go for a short walk. Anything to get up and moving. The more you do it, the easier it will get, and it will get easier. As you get healthier, you'll enjoy the exercise more and actually want to do it.

Watch your portion sizes and eat more lean proteins. Whichever eating plan you decide on, you'll want to be sure to include plenty of lean proteins. As you begin, you don't have to have an exact eating plan in place, you can just make healthier choices. You'll find what works for you and that will help you to choose an eating plan.

Be sure to come here and post often. Let us get to know you better and let us help you, as well as get help from you. There's lots of inspiration and assistance here!
Old 10-10-2003, 08:54 AM   #4  

Hello and Welcome!

These ladies gave great advice, no one can pick the "diet" for you only you can do that yourself, but there are plenty of weightloss methods out there, just make sure it isn't harmful to your body. Exercise and water are very important so don't forget to squeeze them into your new lifestyle I myself have been doing Weight Watchers since June and have lost 23.6 pounds thusfar which it should have been a lot more but I spent 2 months recovering from a car accident with food Anyway welcome again and please let us know if we can help you in any way.
Old 10-10-2003, 11:01 AM   #5  

Talking New as well

It helps to know a little about the person you are talking to so here I go. I am a single mom of a wonderful 11 year old. I have hypothyroidism and every doctor I talk to says it only contributes to an addtional 10 lbs. When I got pregent 11 years age I weighed 150 and when I gave birth I was 310. It was durning this time we find my thyriods did not work. I have tried everything under the sun to loss weight and I am at my witts end. The last resort is WLS. I found this site and everyone here can relate to some part of my postion. So I am seeking all your experiences and helpful hints. Thanks in advance
Old 10-10-2003, 11:22 AM   #6  
Crazy Canuck

Hi Island Gurl! Everyone here has given you so much good advice already, so for now I'll just give a big welcome and I hope you make a habit of sharing your experiences with us, good and bad, because we're all in this together and true understanding goes a long way in lending support. That, and I'm always glad to see a new Canuck on the board!

Turtle, I can certainly relate on many levels - from single motherhood through enormous weight gain during pregnancy (gestational diabetes in my case), through being at my wit's end at finding a way to tackle weight loss (Weight Watchers was my saviour). Have you seen more than one doctor about the thyroid condition? I had a friend who finally got the right mixture of meds and lost a vast amount of weight (over time). As for WLS, I'll let jiffypop pop in and give some advice to you in that regard, she's a success story that's hard to beat!

Again, welcome you two!
Old 10-10-2003, 11:22 AM   #7  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Hi there!!

I am 5'6 and weigh 298 too!! But I'm a smidge older at 35 (soon to be 36). But I definately know where you are coming from! It can seem like it's overwhelming. They say that if you lose 10% of your weight, you are improving your health significantly. That would be 30 lbs. Does that sound doable?? Doesn't 268 sound just great!! Now break the 30 lbs into 10 lb mini goals. You can do this!!

Any idea of the food plan you might want to follow?
Old 10-10-2003, 12:38 PM   #8  

Turtle, Welcome!! So glad to have you join us, and know that you aren't alone. Yup, pregnancy did it to me too. Or I did it to myself during pregnancy, either way my last 4 pregnancies were within 4 years, and I weighed 330 pounds at the end of it all.

Whatever you decide to do, go with a weight loss plan, design your own, or have WLS, we'll be right here to help you along and to get help from you.

Post often and let us get to know you better.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Hi,

Welcome to both of you! My advice is to pick something that you can live with for the rest of your life because, at least for me, it's a total lifestyle change, not just a "lose the weight" change.

I think for people starting out on their own program, baby steps are important. Start upping your water intake, take a walk around the block, and cut out that afternoon candy bar (or whatever). It may be tough, but stick with it, then add more exercise, more water, and cut something else out of your diet and replace it with something healthy. It's incredible what little changes can do.

I am on Weight Watchers, which I really enjoy. I am the kind of person who needs the support of meetings and weekly weigh-ins to keep me accountable. But I think the main thing is to find something that you can do for the rest of your life.

Looking forward to hearing more from you!
Old 10-10-2003, 02:59 PM   #10  

Default WOW what a welcome

I can not believe the response a simply note recieved. I think I have finally found a place that understands the wide range of emotions one goes through when attempting to lose wieght. Thank you all.

Dawn

Beginning 10/10/200
BW/ 325
goal 150

With all your support I might just finally do it
Old 10-10-2003, 04:45 PM   #11  
Old Cackler

hi there dawn!!!! yeah.. i'm the WLS queen around here, but they let me hang out anyway. believe me, many of the issues are the same no matter what program you choose. bottom line, tiny changes. day by day. little by little. one step at a time.

but, out of courtesy to most folks, i put most of my WLS ramblings on the WLS board. and you're welcome to post there as well. or in any other forum that strikes your fancy.

it'll be fun!!!
Old 10-10-2003, 10:55 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 302/179/170

Height: 5'6"

hello to both of you! i dno't have much in the planning way to offer (it's been said!) but as a matter of comparison...

i'm 5'6" and my goal at the moment is 150. some at my height may prefer 140, but i think 150 will do.

ultimately, it's about how a person feels when they get closer to goal, but i thought i'd just give you my guesstimate.
Old 10-11-2003, 12:33 AM   #13  
missaprylj

Welcome to both of you!

You've found a wonderful place the people here are SO great. Post a lot! My biggest advice? Exercise frequently and remember.... BABY steps. Just change *one* thing at a time. If you decide "Tomorrow I'm going to do this, this, this, this, this, this, this and this!" It probably won't last very long. But that's just my personal experience! -Apryl

Closed Thread