Old 08-06-2017, 07:23 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

Wink 264 to 254

I started this journey two weeks ago using BLE and would like to share some reflections and post some challenges. I am not a champion of the approach yet but I think it is sound nutrition and the psychology is interesting.

Down 10 lbs first two weeks which, at 61, is a very good feeling. I know this rate will not continue and that I will hit snags and wooshes along the way. Some reflections on eating a no sugar/no flour diet thus far

Physically:

Feeling of being bloated is gone
Constipation is gone
Reflux is improving
I feel lighter (yeah, even with 10lbs)
The sensation of hunger between meals is ok because I don't feel lightheaded or skaty and actually I am not sure it is hunger.

I am not feeling urges, however Sunday I did eat some pretzels because I drank afternoon coffee on an empty stomach and it tore up my stomach. I dreamed of spaghetti Sunday night. That was my first "craving" and, who knows-maybe those pretzels were enough to set me up.

Things I need to do:

Need to figure out what do to when I am out and about and need "fuel"that is neither sugar or flour. I am thinking nuts and jerky but not dried fruits (they are taboo) -being on a search and rescue team, tromping through the woods for hours expends some real calories and I cannot ignore that.

Need to figure out how to manage nausea. Cutting coffee will help as reflux is my major issue and I am on that path but with caffeine being addictive enough to cause headaches with withdrawl, that needs to go slow.

Things I learned along the way:

Adequate sleep is essential to weight loss.
Adequate sleep is also essential to preventing dementia!
It may be more than just processed grains - Wheat may have a special role.

Things I am studying:

Currently reading "Wheat Belly" which I got for free on my Amazon Prime. I wonder..... if it is the wheat more than anything ...I am not one who "runs to" sugar. It is crackers and pretzels and pasta that I crave......

On Monday I had some fried okra along with a salad and some grilled chicken (only a few pieces of the okra) after avoiding wheat all day and that should not have set off reflux- but maybe wheat was in the batter (not typical but the batter was more cohesive than the normal crumbly stuff I have made). Okra itself is pretty easy on the stomach.

Well, wheat in any form is going away for awhile........not too much a challenge with this particular diet. Sugar is more of a challenge because of use in recipes [I never used a lot of sugar... a 2.5lb tub of organic lasts me 6 months of cooking for two]..

Last edited by grannynancy; 08-07-2017 at 07:02 PM.
grannynancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 05:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 327/262.2/250

Height: 5'7"

Welcome grannynancy! Don't be discouraged about the views and no responses. Weekends are slow and there are a lot of lurkers. I started a thread and got 416 views and no responses. I am OK with that. I was just pleased that 416 were curious as to what I had to say.
When I started reading this I thought it was like a blog and not sure if you wanted responses.
Good luck on your journey.
Ubee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2017, 09:23 PM   #3  

Thanks Ubee. I was hoping to join a more interactive forum. I appreciate the comment
Old 08-07-2017, 02:01 PM   #4  
Here to Learn

S/C/G: 225/140/135

Height: 5'5"

Welcome, Grannynancy!

It's true that 3FC isn't the most active forum anymore, but there are a number of us who are active. I tend to drop off over the weekends but pick back up M-F. I hope you'll stick around!
EagleRiverDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2017, 06:51 PM   #5  

Maybe I should not post over the weekend. .

I saved my post. I will reset it and update so not read as a bloggy thing.

Right now thinking the BLE approach is sound though I am going to NOT eat wheat and see how that does. ......... But one can do this without deviating from the BLE plan of action.

Last edited by grannynancy; 08-07-2017 at 07:05 PM.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:58 PM   #6  
Here to Learn

Oh, I see you're reading Wheat Belly. I haven't read that one yet but I do believe the primal/paleo/Whole30 approach is probably right. I know I cannot lose weight when I eat wheat products. For me, pasta, bread, etc. are off limits. There are two things I've identified that have more impact on my weight than anything else- alcohol, and wheat. If I cut those, I lose weight. If I consume those, I gain weight. So I think you're on the right track!
Old 08-07-2017, 09:00 PM   #7  
Here to Learn

PS:

What is BLE?

I LOVE fried okra.
Old 08-07-2017, 09:13 PM   #8  

Bright Line Eating. It is based on the book which is a food addiction approach that leaves out sugar and flour of any kind and also applies some 12 step principles. It does, however allow whole wheat (for example the complete cooked grain or even shredded wheat but I think there is something "to" the thing about wheat so i am trying awhile of eating nothing associated with wheat. I know I asked my husband to put his unsweetened shredded wheat elsewhere because I wanted to snack on it.
Old 08-08-2017, 12:48 PM   #9  
Here to Learn

Interesting! I hadn't heard of Bright Line Eating. I will have to research it. I love learning new things. Thank you!
Old 08-08-2017, 02:16 PM   #10  

I think, like anything else, nothing is the be all and end all but I think there are some good concepts here and this clearly has a marketing element (the boot camps) but I am taking what I can from the book......

http://www.dietinsight.org/reviews/d...ne-eating-diet
Old 08-08-2017, 04:44 PM   #11  

Looking at the wheat thing. Now I do think a foundation of vegetables with a small amount of fruit and appropriate amount of protein is the way to to go. I am not keen on the amount of protein I am taking in but realize it actually is consistent with medical advice (basically I am taking 90-100 grams protein and about the same carbs right now but most is complex carbs)

This is a counterpoint to the wheat belly arguments

https://www.forksoverknives.com/the-...in/#gs.GdzS3s8
Old 08-08-2017, 05:32 PM   #12  
Here to Learn

Well, I can't comment on those two books but I've seen a lot of comparisons by those who don't research between Atkins and Paleo/Primal. However, they aren't even remotely the same. When I originally went Primal, my doctor was very hostile to the idea right up until I pointed out that Primal is very, very similar to the Anti-Inflammatory diet she recommends. It's not just "eat more meat"- you can be Primal and vegetarian, if you want. And where Atkins focused solely on reducing carbs but not on the quality of the foods- remember all the Atkins bars, shakes, etc? Primal/Paleo focuses on eating real, unprocessed foods. Meats ideally should be free range, organic, ethically treated animals. Vegetables/fruits should ideally be organic. They make allowances, of course, because not everyone has access to or can afford that. But the one area that is pretty much non-negotiable is you give up grains and you give up processed foods. I no longer would say I'm Paleo/Primal or Whole30 compliant (I eat rice and beans and potatoes) but I learned a lot from them and I eat a very clean diet.
Old 08-08-2017, 05:38 PM   #13  

Honestly That is where I want to be headed. Clean unprocessed diet. I will probably eat some grains and some legumes but it needs to be minimal and not foundation. I think for now, more meat and eggs than I would care to eat long term but. Quality protein.

Right now I pulled my memory banks and apples and cabbage are cooking down on the stove along with caraway seeds , salt, pepper and butter. I remember growing up we ate a lot of cabbage. Funny I don't remember brocolli but do remember most of the other vegetables.