Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2003, 09:45 AM   #1  
Losin It For GOOD!

Default Me, Myself, and I

Sorry for going missing all, and sorry for being selfish enough to start my own thread, but I have a lot to tell you all..

I lost my job last wednesday. It rather sucks as I pretty much got screwed over by the entire thing. No severance, no nothing. also the network was down that day so if I want all my personal files off my computer I have to go BACK in to get them. Blah.

I've been okay since then and during the week did really well not overeating, etc, until Saturday.. and that started three days of eating whatever the **** I wanted, and now I'm feeling it - my stomach is upset, I'm groggy, and pretty much feel like crapola. I can't do this to myself anymore - so it stops today.

I am being highly tempted by the successes friends are having with the South Beach Diet... although I know I never succeed without Weight Watchers and meetings - I'm tempted to follow the philosophy and still count my points.

Drawbacks? I have no money so I don't know how I can eat what they reccomend, we have a full fridge/freezer/pantry right now so I can't justify buying more/different foods. I also have a huge caffeine problem - I don't drink that much but if I don't have any I get instant migraine. So, well have to see.

Game plan for today is to go do my workout video then stop at JoAnn's fabric to return/exchange a few things.

Hope you are all well...
Old 09-02-2003, 09:50 AM   #2  
Want to feel better

S/C/G: S/C/G: 240/205/150

Height: 5' 0"

Hi BethAnne!

Sorry to hear about the loss of your job. I'm glad for you that you are back on track today ~ that will help you feel better to deal with everything else.

Thinking of you and praying for another job for you soon. Hang in there!!

Take care ~ Gayle
Old 09-02-2003, 10:05 AM   #3  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

I am so sorry to hear about your job. That's terrible!! What are your plans for new employement??

Congrats on getting your head on straight so soon. I think some exercise today is a great idea.

As far as South Beach...I've always looked at this as a lifestyle change and not a diet. Is South Beach something you could do forever? If not, maybe you are better off sticking with WW. We need to make changes for a lifetime.
Old 09-02-2003, 10:36 AM   #4  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

sorry to hear about losing your job. that is a downer for sure. don't beat yourself up about the binge. you needed it to help grieve for the loss of your job.

i have to agree with sandi about the south beach diet. i've had a look at it too and i know it is not something i could stick to for very long.

look at the bright side, while you are looking for a new job you'll have more time to post with us and exercise!
Old 09-02-2003, 10:43 AM   #5  

Bethanne,

I am so sorry to hear about your job! You will find a new and better one soon!

I admire you for picking yourself up so quickly. You are strong, and you will be okay. We are all here for you.

Hugs!
Sherry
Old 09-02-2003, 10:51 AM   #6  
Old Cackler

oh bethanne... what awful news about your job! but we all know that something wonderful is just around the corner. if you need help with your resume, let me know...
Old 09-02-2003, 10:55 AM   #7  
Losin It For GOOD!

Well I feel better - because I just completed the 30 minute Get Moving! Exercise tape I'd bought at WW last week (before I lost my job!) and for the very first time I have an exercise tape THAT I LOVE!! It's not boring, I love the music, and its CHALLENGING, (I still don't have all the steps down, but I'll get them soon.)

Thanks for the encouragement. I think South Beach isn't a great idea for me right now but that doesn't mean I can't try to cut out some of the carbs, etc and try to eat a higher protein diet like I know I should!!

Jen - thanks so much for the encouragement about grieving for my job. I am a big time comfort eater and I need to remember that - and now its time to move on!

My plans at the moment are to just try searching for jobs wherever I can - Monster.com is dead at the moment.. but I'm sure it will pick up as the week goes on! If I don't have a job by the time I hear about unemployment, I will be hitting up walmart or wherever I have to go to get money in the door, and if i DO get unemployment and still don't have a job, I'll probably work there part time to supplement the unemployment checks.

We're just getting slammed right now, so its hard to stay positive. Greg's ex is taking him to court for a bunch of things (she is just being an evil person basically) and that isn't helping the matter.

I just need to remember that I can only worry about things I have control over, and then, instead of worrying, I should identify ways I can work on those things.

I'm going to go to the fabric store now to exchange a few things, its my reward for finishing my exercise video
Old 09-02-2003, 12:29 PM   #8  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Beth Anne, we're all here for you! /hug I'm sure something will show up soon. You're doing great to get moving. Exercise produces endorphins -- the original 'feel good' drug. /grin And finding something that you LIKE doing is half the challenge, I think.

I hear you about the South Beach thing. I'm not on any particular program -- I just count calories. But I have really tried to eat some lean protein with every meal, cut back on processed carbs (white flour and sugar) and to eat 5-6 mini-meals a day. It has REALLY helped curb my hunger pangs.

You can do it!!!
Old 09-02-2003, 01:05 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Beth Anne, I'm so sorry about your job. That must have been an incredible blow.

What you said about worrying only about things you can control is a great philosophy. And getting your exercise is will boost your spirits, too.

I agree with Sandi about making lifestyle changes as opposed to going on diets. It's so hard for us to not take the short term route, but in the end, going for long term results is the most beneficial.
Old 09-02-2003, 02:48 PM   #10  
on my way down!

So sorry to hear about your job Hope things start looking up for you soon
Old 09-02-2003, 06:47 PM   #11  
2006 - Panda Remix

Beth - Anne , Sorry to hear that things aren't good for you at the moment. Stay strong and know that there are lots of people here who will support you through the good AND bad times.

Hope things get better soon

Amanda xx
Old 09-02-2003, 10:28 PM   #12  

Height: 5' 7"

BethAnn
Welcome to the wonderful world of the jobless recovery!
I got hit in April, but you know what, it has been okay. I (and the others who got hit at the same time) all got unemployment. Because I carried the health insurance (no joke, my husband works for a Christian Scientist who doesn't offer it), we also have to find the money for COBRA, but somehow I'm not panicking.
I got a week of filling in for another writer last week, and they have offered me additional hours later this month.

The reason I'm saying this is that I'm a technical writer, and we get laid off ALL THE TIME. I don't know any writers who haven't been laid off at least twice (except for the ones who are under 25). And I always end up with a more interesting, well-paying job at some point down the road. But this time, I am extending my time off, and concentrating on myself.

What feels right is eating well -- doesn't it stink when you can't binge on food anymore? -- and exercising and doing what is put in front of me on a daily basis. The hardest thing for me is admitting that it feels personal, even though I know that they just laid off the highest paid people in our department (I got the best review in our group 4 months before the layoff, and my references are awesome).

Once I start talking about me, I babble, but it feels good to get some of this out. But, what I'm trying to say is that people do find new jobs, and I hope we don't waste this transitional time in beating ourselves up or in sitting on the pity pot. When I go back to work, I want to be thinner.

Love and hugs, girlfriend. If you like, we can commiserate more.
Old 09-02-2003, 11:09 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Hey, KristasMom, I'm an unemployed technical writer, too. I'd never been laid off in my life (and I'm 50) until I became a technical writer. *Sigh*
Old 09-02-2003, 11:19 PM   #14  
missaprylj

B.A. - Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Just remember that when things get really bad, they can only get better. Not to mention, I'm really surprised by your attitude, and your resolve to keep healthy during these tough times! Way to go! -Apryl

Old 09-03-2003, 01:00 AM   #15  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

Sorry to hear about the job, keep your chin up! You can do this!
Closed Thread