Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2003, 05:51 PM   #16  

Thank-You ALL for your posts...I am sooo happy to be here..cann't really explain it..but I feel a certain "warmth" when I am reading here??..must be the good energy coming thru! I could hardly wait to get home from work to see what ya'll (NC) had posted!!

THIS IS MY PLAN OF ACTION...I have ACTUALLY NEVER tried this approach before...I have always said to myself today I will start exercising, stop eating sweets (sugar), rice, potatoes..etc..etc..and it always has left me feeling overwhelmed so I asked my DH did he feel like I tried to hard..to fast..expected to much from myself..Did he see me that way?..and he quickly said "yes!" soooooo...my plain is to take one thing/action and concentrate on it for a week..then add another..I have come up with the following..please feel free to help me edit or add to my thoughts/plans..this was my first rough draft...but I need to get it in order ...September the 1st is fast approaching!

Week #1~~Practice Contious Eating..I can eat anything..except absolutely no overeating..In my mind this is NORMAL eating!

Week #2~~Begin to Exercise..starting with swimming at my local healthquest...then gradually working my way up to more strenous exercises..such as adding walking in approx. 4 weeks!

Week #3~~Cut out all SUGAR...cookies, cakes, ice cream but not beverage just food!

Week #4~~Drink WATER!WATER!WATER...eliminate all sugar beverages..sodas, juices!

Week #5~~Become CARB contious!...The plan for this week is not to eliminate carbs...but become aware of how many carb I am consuming in one day!

Week #6~~Incorp more Veggies...Is there more green on my plate than starches?

Week #7~~Incorp more fruits..probably staying with two a day..always eaten with a protein!

Week #8~~Change MILK to Soy or Skim!(I Love Milk)

Week #9~~Become SNACK aware!...Eat healthy snacks such as low-fat yogurt with flaxseed or almonds...small apple with no sugar peanut butter..or maybe a protein bar (Dr. Atkins)!

Week #10~~Eliminate the WHITE foods..Rice, pasta, potatoes...and corn, white bread! Eat 100% whole grain bread, brown or wild rice!

Week #11~~Eliminate ALL FRIED FOOD! (This one is really HARD for me...see how I let it be #11)

Week #12~~Substitute some meals for a liquid shake...I would only use one..I have researched and researched..A good one is The Ultimate Meal..high in vitamins..and it is a TRUE meal replacement! This is not a must on days..but I thought it would give me a healthy option...I can also add my two fruits and soy to this drink.

So what do ya'll think?...I really hope this approach works!..It makes sense when I really think about it..And I really am going to work on this becoming my LIFE WAY of eating...and I know that I will not always ELIMINATE all these things above everyday..but I sure can aspire to do it most days....I am human...and I have a problem with food...but just because I eat something that is not perfectly on plan..does not mean I can not begin immediately with the next meal doing GOOD again!..this has always been one of my main problems in my thinking..you ate something BAD...oh well! guess you just BLEW it! I have to learn there are no BAD foods...Eating is such mind work!...Lord please help me!....Thanks again..I am soooo happy!
Old 08-28-2003, 05:51 PM   #17  
2006 - Panda Remix

Another welcome to you Skinny

It's great that you are joining us, you sound so positive and excited in your post and thats great!

Taking control of your eating is the best thing you can do for yourself and your future children. These forums are great and a wonderful source of support and advice - checking in daily really keeps me motivated.

I've just read your plan and it looks great! Like you say, trying to change the habits of a lifetime all at once can be overwhelming and lead to failure - you've got to work at a pace you can cope with and that suits you. I really think you've got the right idea and your plans will really help you ( rather than just being vague about your intentions).

Take it one day at a time and you'll get there

Good on you Skinny, your positivity is great and I can feel it rubbing off on me, so you're already helping others too!

Amanda xx:

Last edited by Amanda Panda; 08-28-2003 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-28-2003, 07:07 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Welcome! That's great that you're trying to change your habits over time rather than all at once. Too much at once can be so overwhelming!

Post often--I look forward to hearing how you are doing on your journey. I recommend the challenges, too. Even when I don't meet my challenge goal, I find them very motivating.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:23 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 316/234/196

Height: 5' 3"

Hi Skinny and Welcome Aboard!

Just a couple of thoughts....

I'd vote for moving the water drinking higher on the list. It has so many health benefits and it fairly easy to get in to. After a day or two, you miss the water if you don't get it and it gets easier and easier to drink 64 oz ++.

Also, from what I've read and experienced myself you are totally on the right track to make your changes (whatever the order) one at a time and make one change a habit before going on to the next change. A week between major changes may be too quick so give yourself time to adjust to each change so you don't get overwhelmed. I want to say that I read somewhere that the average person could only make 1-3 meaningful changes a year and make them stick. Of course, if one of these changes is "food" that covers a wide range

I really took that to heart last year and the big change I made was committing to exercise 3-6 times per week, no excuses. After 3-4 months, I felt like it was really part of my routine. I didn't change anything else and didn't lose any weight but I felt better. After 4 months, I changed my eating habits and have finally started losing weight and I'm sticking with both my exercise and my eating plan.

Good luck and I can't wait to hear how it goes!
Old 08-28-2003, 08:43 PM   #20  

Hi everone, Sheila here... I have also been lurking around for about 2 weeks also. Do you kind folks have room for one more. When i started my weightloss journey I wasat 255 lbs with aprox 115 lbs to lose. I am now at 210 or so. I am starting a new program next week and looking for a nice bunch of ladies to chat with and get to know.
Old 08-28-2003, 10:01 PM   #21  
Howie6267's Honey

S/C/G: 277 / See ticker / 160

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
When I pregnant with jacob, 1 girl got pregnant 3 months later and another got pregnant 3 after that!! Talk about afraid to drink the water!!
But we're supposed to be drinking lots of water! Warn me so I can get my water elsewhere, okay?
Old 08-28-2003, 10:52 PM   #22  
Old Cackler

great goals, skinny... one suggestion, though. we 'not so light' people need more water when we exercise than others, so i second kim's suggestion of moving the water up higher on the list, no lower than second.

and maybe move the fruit goal up to before the cutting out sugar goal. and that's because eating fruit can actually cut the desire for sugar in some folks [of course, for others, it makes them want sugar, but let's hope that doesn't happen with you!]

you've set some really reasonable steps here. someone at work says that it takes 21 days for somethinbg to become a habit. you're gonna do just fine!!!!!

AND WELCOME to motorcyclemom!!!!!
Old 08-28-2003, 11:11 PM   #23  

hello,
I am kind of new here. I been lurking a lot. I am too loosing weight to have a baby. Well I am loosing weight to be overall healthy.

I just want to say that everyone on this board is very supportative and I hope this can be my home too
Old 08-28-2003, 11:41 PM   #24  
2006 - Panda Remix

Talking welcome Motorcyclemom & Dolphingirl

Welcome to the 100lb club!

Jump right in - there are loads of great people here with lots of good advice, support and motivation. It's certainly helped me keep positive and focused since I joined a few weeks ago.

We are all in the same position and all take it one week (or day) at a time. Well done to you both on your weight loss so far..... we can do it!

Amanda xx
Old 08-28-2003, 11:52 PM   #25  

Thanks Amanda!!
Old 08-29-2003, 12:21 AM   #26  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

I'd like to welcome everyone new & say for skinny: don't forget to watch the sodium. It sneaks up on you in the things you don't even think have it.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:40 AM   #27  
missaprylj

Welcome all of you new, beautiful people! You came to the greatest place on earth for weight-loss support. The people here are motivating, wise, honest, loving, and really deeply care how you are doing. Post a lot a lot.... we like talkative people! -Apryl

Old 08-30-2003, 11:18 AM   #28  

Hi Sheila and Dolphingirl! Welcome!
Closed Thread