Snacks?!

• Hey Guys,

Im having a really hard time with craving fast food and junk (chips mostly)...

Any suggestions on healthy salty snacks?

I'm basically trying to keep a low-fat diet... I love potatoes way too much to give up carbs...

~Celina~
  • Do you have a Trader Joe's in your area? They have great snacks like potato sticks, mini crackers, veggie chips and other wonderful things.
  • I often use pretzels as chip replacements. Salty, crunchy and low-fat.

Low fat tortilla chips with salsa (Salsa has almost NO calories). Sometimes I add a tablespoon of non-fat sour cream, chopped tomatoes and green onion, and stir it up to make a dip. It doesn't look very appetizing, but it is tasty.

I am always looking for snack ideas, too! Any other ideas out there?

Kris
    261-188-155
  • Microwave light butter popcorn -- I don't particularly care for the taste of "smart pop" or 94% fat free, but the "light butter" tastes good and isn't too bad on calories/fat.

If you don't have a problem with Olestra, the Fat Free Pringles are really tasty (I go through a can of these a week ). I like the Wow Doritos and Wow Tostitos, also, but I don't care for the Wow potato chips.

Pretzels are good. Baked Lays are pretty good (I like the BBQ better than the regular).

Surprisingly enough, sometimes a dill pickle spear helps with salty, crunchy cravings. Celery works for some people too (not me though).

Hope this helps.
  • WoW guys ... thanks for such a quick response...

Some of my own ideas are Crispy Minis and Spudz.... I find Ketchup the best... they're the closest to chip flavour...

Great thread... i hope we all benefit from this one!

Enjoy the Sunshine!
    Celina
  • popcorn.. I'm eating some right now.2 points! 94% fat free
    pretzels
    what about a baked potato.. sometimes I have those for lunch.. with salsa! and ff sour cream! yummy!!!
    how about homemade turkey jerky.. nice salty snack.
    I also make a brocolli dip and use baked pita bread.. (cut into 16ths) - wonderful.
  • Hey -

Baked potatoe with Salsa is an Awesome idea for lunch... I've now added that to my grocery list...

Can I have the recipe for your brocoli dip please?

Thanks,
    Celina
  • Kashi TLC crackers

Carrots w/ ff ranch dressing/dip

FF pretzels

blue corn tortilla chips & salsa (medium heat, wooo!)

Tumaro's tortilla w/pepper jack cheese melted inside.
  • <SIGH> genisoy chips. for 25 chips, it's 100 calories and 7 grams protein. and they come in great flavors: cheddar, nacho, ranch, salt n vinegar, and a couple of others.

it's easy to eat the whole bag... drat!!!!!!
  • I know that most people loathe rice cakes, but I LOVE them.... I eat those anytime I have a chip/salty craving... it works well for me. I also eat carrots like crazy. There is a GREAT beef jerky, i think it's Jack Links or something... it's kind of expensive, but it's the best beef jerky I've ever had and the whole bag has like 3 grams of fat in it... and it's the tender chunks kind or something i think.... I'd have to check and make sure exactly. I also eat pickles or fat free cottage cheese sometimes.
  • i'd have to say matzo's jewish crackers really nice. i dont' have any additional salt in my diet only whats already in food cos salt makes you retain water. amongst other things.
  • If you cook a little, you can cut a potato up into steak-fry size, sprinkle a little olive oil on them and bake them up. They are low in fat (if you don't over-do the oil) and yummy! You could make your own chips the same way by slicing them thin.

I'm so glad you guys reminded me about popcorn. On my second day back on WWatchers and off Atkins, I'm remembering low-fat carb options that I used to love! I'm going to get some popcorn now! Yum!
  • Great Idea Angi! Thanks..

Im going to make homeade chips this weekend... put a tiny bit of olive oil, some salt & pepper.. YUM!
  • I second the beef jerky bit. We make our own, which is easy if you have a dehydrator (or you can do it in the oven if you watch carefully). That way we can control the added salt. We just have the butcher slice an eye of round "real thin for beef jerky" (they should know what you need), marinade it overnight, then put it in the dehydrator.

When I want crunch and salt, I go for red radishes. I sprinkle a little salt on 'em and go to town. I take a Baggie of fresh veggies to work in the mornings -- carrots, green pepper slices, cherry tomatoes, sugar peas, and radishes. I munch on them as I work when I just want something crunchy. The radishes always disappear first.
  • Popcorn Points -

After Much Debate WW Corporate has released a notice that 1 full bag of the 94% fat free popcorn is 4 points.

You're limited to 4 TOTAL grams of fiber, not 4 grams per serving. It sucks, but its true.