Closed Thread

Old 09-02-2014, 12:20 PM   #91  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

Hello, everyone! I had a fantastic (on-plan) weekend. I have lots of posts to catch up on and I'll post a long one later, but I just wanted to check in and say hi.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:42 PM   #92  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Hi All!

I was thinking about how I keep preaching about being patient and just keeping on track, taking it one day at a time. And, I totally believe that. I just know how hard it is to keep the faith when you’re working hard and not seeing the blessings fall on the scale. I just think it is an understandable frustration, and we all suffer from it, and that’s ok. But, it is so important to keep going. And I think the best way to do that is to express that frustration on this thread. Rant about it! Tell everyone here how unfair it is! But we can’t just give up. We have to come here, get the support we need, and continue to struggle through until we come out on the other side. Thankfully, it seems like there is always someone posting who has a good attitude and can talk any one of us off the ledge. So thankful for the support and I’m equally thankful when I can be that calming voice!

Calluna: Glad you had a good weekend!

LaurieDawn: So impressed with you taking the leap to get rid of the old clothes. I have been trying to do that with mine, although there are some I can still get by with wearing, even though they are loose. I want to put off buying new for as long as possible. But I think getting rid of the big clothes is great. You should have that confidence!!! You're doing so well!

Uber: I agree with you, I don't think there is anything wrong with taking the quick approach. Each person has to do what works for them. So fast or slow, whatever works!!!

Martini: Sorry you aren't feeling it today! But, I think that's good that you are stopping the off plan stuff today! Some days are definitely better than others, but hang in there until the good days resurface!
Old 09-02-2014, 02:09 PM   #93  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Well, obviously I'm in a WHOOSH cycle! Dropped another 0.8 since yesterday which means that this morning I was 254.8!!! After being stuck at 260 forever, suddenly I find myself in the bottom half of the 50s decade. Looking back at my weight tracker from the 2009-2010 loss I see that I had an incredibly losing streak, dropping from 260 to 250 in 19 days. Oddly enough, it was the first 19 days of September. Obviously, I can't hope to do that again, but it does make me wonder about "set points..."

Diane Thank you for posting what you did! It DOES help to freak out sometimes, and I can't tell you guys how often I've thought of something that someone on this thread said that helped me get through a rough patch. It is so true that weight loss without freak outs does not seem to be possible, but sticking with it, more often than not, does eventually get you somewhere. I struggled since Jan 2012 to get back on track. I made four or five false starts, and finally it's working again. WE DON'T HAVE TO SETTLE FOR A LIFE OF MORBID OBESITY!!!!

Jenni Size 8! Sigh.... now that is a size that I have NEVER been. Stick with it and you'll zipping up the 8s before you know it!

Calluna Hooray for good weekends!

Laurie Throwing out the fat clothes is a big vote of confidence in yourself. Get used to looking at the small clothes hanging there and reminding yourself that they fit! I got some clothing gift certificates for Christmas gifts, and I'm holding onto them! It's weird how plus sizes seem to stretch from about 210 on up indefinitely, but when you get down around that 200 range, all of a sudden, you have to change clothes every ten pounds. You are going to drop below 200 before you know it!

Martini Hope today is going better for you.
Old 09-02-2014, 03:52 PM   #94  
Jessica, Becoming Me

S/C/G: 260 / 199 / 150

Height: 5' 6" | MG: 185

Laurie, I'm so happy for you being in the 207 range. You're so close to 205 now. I'm lagging a little behind you but I'm sure I'll get there soon enough. And I am totally feeling you on the clothes thing. If I had more disposable income, I'd totally by a few new pairs of jeans so that I wasn't constantly pulling them up at work. Not to mention that I was so tired when I got home last night that I pulled off my work jeans without unbuttoning or unzipping them... it was a weird feeling when I realized it.I've been known to wear my 20W on days, but it has a lot to do with days where I'm chilly and wanting to prolong the life of my work jeans by not wearing out the thighs when I'm not at work. It's funny that that's one of the things I still worry about. When you're big, the thighs on your jeans go fast... So won't be something I'll miss as I keep losing weight.

So I got myself that new scale last night. I ended up going with a traditional one over a digital one for two reasons. One, it was cheaper. Like $10 cheaper. Two, given the experience with my brother's digital scale, I think it'll be nice to have a break from something that has a greater chance of malfunctioning. That being said, it does mean that I'm going to have to adjust to life with out tenths of a pound. Honestly, I think it might just do me some good. When the scale isn't measuring tenths of a pound, you don't notice quite so much variation every time you step on and step off.

Today's weight? 210.0 lbs. Yup, finally officially hit the 210 mark after a weak of wanting to break a scale and, more importantly, that means I've lost 50 lbs in 19 weeks. <3

Last edited by garnetrising; 09-02-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 09-02-2014, 06:18 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 276.4/215/160

Height: 5'6

Uber: Great job on the woosh...and it has been over 10 years since I have seen a 8!

Diane...that is such a great attitude and those words are in my head a lot that's what keeps me plugging....although today has been a struggle only because I feel REALLY hungry!

Laurie...thank you...had the interview today ...was interesting with a 3 person panel...felt well out of sorts...like I haven't had an interview in over 15 years...worked at my other job over 10 years!

Jessica...congrats on your 50 pounds and that rocks!!!!!
Old 09-02-2014, 06:22 PM   #96  

Posted to soon!!!

Today has been really hard. I had an interview...it was like me thinking if I was in the dating world again. I was at my previous job for over 10 years haven't had an interview in probably 15 years....3 people interviewing...wow...I am glad for the experience though. I have been having these spells where my stomach hurts so bad and I sweat so much my clothes get wet....and to top it off today I cannot feel full! First day since I started this process....just feeling off that is all!
Old 09-02-2014, 08:09 PM   #97  
thinks she can

S/C/G: 321/266.1/170

Height: 5'9"

Another quick post because I'm living in crazy town (population: 1) right now.

Yesterday I was 100% on plan. Today I'm feeling better and am committed to making today another 100% on plan day. Hopefully I can string a few of these together and get back in the groove again.

None of that would be possible without all the support I'm getting here. I'm humbled and deeply grateful. It genuinely is going to take a village to get Martini thin.

Laurie - Throwing out the clothes that don't fit is huge!! HUGE!!!

Uber - What do you mean by set points? I think I know what they are, but I'm reading quickly and didn't make the connection between that and your annual woosh.

Jessica - Decimal points are so overrated. I personally feel so much better off without them.

Jenni - Fingers crossed for the interview results! I'm sure you did great!!
Old 09-02-2014, 08:50 PM   #98  
Back with a story

S/C/G: 281 / 254 / 160

Height: 5'3" - I got taller!

Quote:
Originally Posted by calluna View Post
Hello, everyone! I had a fantastic (on-plan) weekend. I have lots of posts to catch up on and I'll post a long one later, but I just wanted to check in and say hi.

Hey Calluna! On plan weekends make me feel like a Rockstar, too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slashnl View Post
Hi All!

I was thinking about how I keep preaching about being patient and just keeping on track, taking it one day at a time. And, I totally believe that. I just know how hard it is to keep the faith when you’re working hard and not seeing the blessings fall on the scale. I just think it is an understandable frustration, and we all suffer from it, and that’s ok. But, it is so important to keep going. And I think the best way to do that is to express that frustration on this thread. Rant about it! Tell everyone here how unfair it is! But we can’t just give up. We have to come here, get the support we need, and continue to struggle through until we come out on the other side. Thankfully, it seems like there is always someone posting who has a good attitude and can talk any one of us off the ledge. So thankful for the support and I’m equally thankful when I can be that calming voice!
It is so hard when the scale isn't changing, or changing in the wrong direction. Being pregnant again after a new low and seeing it all pile back on in a hurry has been SO difficult. And this is the third healthy pregnancy I've had during my weight loss journey! But staying healthy and on plan when the scale doesn't cooperate is the most difficult part of losing weight and keeping it off. It is also a crucial maintenance skill, but that doesn't make it easier!

Support is crucial, I totally agree. Never underestimate a calming voice, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post
Well, obviously I'm in a WHOOSH cycle! Dropped another 0.8 since yesterday which means that this morning I was 254.8!!! After being stuck at 260 forever, suddenly I find myself in the bottom half of the 50s decade. Looking back at my weight tracker from the 2009-2010 loss I see that I had an incredibly losing streak, dropping from 260 to 250 in 19 days. Oddly enough, it was the first 19 days of September. Obviously, I can't hope to do that again, but it does make me wonder about "set points..."
A whoosh cycle? Don't look that one in the mouth!

As for set points, I definitely have them. I'll swirl around a certain weight for weeks. And when I have regained, even during baby time, it settles at particular weights. Homeostasis at work, I'd say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenjenangel027 View Post
Posted to soon!!!

Today has been really hard. I had an interview...it was like me thinking if I was in the dating world again. I was at my previous job for over 10 years haven't had an interview in probably 15 years....3 people interviewing...wow...I am glad for the experience though. I have been having these spells where my stomach hurts so bad and I sweat so much my clothes get wet....and to top it off today I cannot feel full! First day since I started this process....just feeling off that is all!
Wow! I hope the interview went well! I'm sorry you're not feeling well, though

Quote:
Originally Posted by martini View Post
Another quick post because I'm living in crazy town (population: 1) right now.

Yesterday I was 100% on plan. Today I'm feeling better and am committed to making today another 100% on plan day. Hopefully I can string a few of these together and get back in the groove again.

None of that would be possible without all the support I'm getting here. I'm humbled and deeply grateful. It genuinely is going to take a village to get Martini thin.
I've been off and on your weeks lately and today is back on plan as well. You put it well - stringing together enough days to get back in the groove. Absolutely.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:39 AM   #99  

Jenni Congrats on getting the interview over with. Sounds stressful, but I'm sure you did great! Hope tomorrow is a better day. I have those super hungry days and there never seems to be any reason for it. Hope it passes!

Jessica Congratulations on the new scale and on hitting 210! I think knowing our weight in decimal points is probably totally nuts. I know that going if I lose .2 and that takes me to a new number like from 255 to 254.8 I'm all excited about losing a pound, but if I go that same .2 from say 254.8 to 254.6 then I'm all pissed that I didn't lose. It's nuts!

Martini You know that crazy town you're living in? You better make room on the couch over there as WE ARE ALL CRASHING THE PARTY!!! You really can string together a couple of good days and then a couple more. Try really hard to force yourself not to look back at all and start each new day as a completely normal on plan day instead of thinking of it as a day that you might totally mess up due to having messed up previously. As for my "set points" comment, I don't think it's really scientifically proven, but my body seems to be perfectly happy to settle at certain weights, and I always think I'm more likely to plateau at those points.

Taryl Pregnancy is tricky to manage, food-wise, but you've done this before and you can do it again!
Old 09-03-2014, 09:43 AM   #100  

Height: 5'5"

Good morning, All!

Taryl - It always amazes me that you have been able to stay on track during pregnancies. I have seen so many people on this board lose weight to get pregnant, then gain and keep gaining during and after pregnancy. It's really, really hard, and you are on baby #3. I am so impressed by your persistence. It's not the struggle that's unique -- it's your determination to fight through it.

Jenni - Interviews can be the worst! I applaud you viewing them as practice. That's actually how I survived my first few dates with my now-husband. ;-) I'm sorry that you're also having physical symptoms of stress. This is where real life really does interfere with our best-laid plans for weight loss. Hope the interview results in a great job offer, or at least provides you with the experience to get a great job offer soon. Also, hope the physical discomfort subsides.

Calluna - Yep. I'm with Taryl. On-plan weekends make you a rock star!

Diane - You have been a calming voice for me repeatedly. I often think of the time that you were explaining that you just couldn't skip your work-out after telling your son that he couldn't skip his practice. It's just something we do. Even when it sucks.

Uber - I hope you rush through the 250s again. There's nothing like slamming through a decade after being stuck at the top of it forever! I feel like I did that with the 220s. I hope that you repeat your 18 days of September experience. Even if you don't, I'm so thrilled that you're back from vacation, back on plan, and 260 is becoming a distant memory.

Jessica - So excited you finally took the scale plunge! And incredibly impressed at your 19-week results. 50 pounds! That's my secret "if I maintained at that weight forever, I would be sort of okay with it" weight. 190 seems "normal" to me. I am so excited to be approaching Onederland with you!

Martini - Yup. What Uber said. I live in Crazy Town, too, and it seems like a good idea to maybe consolidate our addresses and be crazy together. We are the village that is going to get Martini thin. And in the process, we are going to get thin ourselves.

I have been feeling kind of off since last Thursday evening. After my run that afternoon, I felt out-of-sorts. I self-diagnosed with exercise fatigue, and after work on Friday, I slept for 14 hours straight and took Friday and Saturday off from the gym. I did do some "active recovery" stuff Saturday and Sunday (kayaking and recreational swimming), and then a fairly relaxed lifting session Sunday. I ran for a new personal best Monday (2.1 miles, 30 minutes straight), but still felt off. Yesterday, I almost didn't go to the gym, but then I decided to do it, and that made me feel much better. I then upped my calories last night, and I think I'm recovered. Who knows? In all my years of working at weight loss, this was a first for me.

Thanks for the kudos on getting rid of the clothes. It was less of a conscious decision and more of an annoyed one. I could NOT stand looking at them another second. But since this weight isn't new to me, I still have a lot of clothes that fit. I am looking forward to shedding another 20 or so pounds, and then doing some serious thrifting!
Old 09-03-2014, 12:25 PM   #101  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Hi all.

Having a grumpy day now. I am not very happy with my daughter right now, and I'm letting it get to me. It's a long story, not worth getting into right now. I get so tired of her drama. She is 20.... I try to be patient....

Got some running/walking in today. I wasn't looking forward to it, but I knew I needed to do it. I discovered today that it is actually getting better. I had been feeling like I wasn't making any progress at all, but today when I really thought about it, I can tell that it is better. Not perfect yet, but better! So, that was good.

LaurieDawn: Sounds like you are working through the "not feeling it". I think sometimes our bodies fight back a little. It sounds like you made some good choices to try to work through it and you are coming out on the other side! That is great that you can consciously work through it all.

Jenni: Hard to interview after having been in one job for so long, but you're doing it!! Good luck!

Lotus: Yeah, add me as one who is impressed that you can stay so disciplined through a pregnancy. I was not that way at all, and that's part of the issue I get to deal with now! You're doing great!

Martini: It is smart to take it one day at a time. You had a good on plan day yesterday, and hope you have another one today!!!

Uber: Glad you get the joy of a whoosh cycle!!! That's a great place to be!

Jessica: Great news on the new scale! And congrats on the new numbers!
Old 09-03-2014, 12:44 PM   #102  

Martini...Hoping to hear how great you are doing!!!!l The starting is so hard but once that is through it is much easier. I always try and think that it takes 21 to create a habit!

Taryl....Thank you...I've had four kids...my last three were 3 years apart and that took a toll on my body!!! You got this!

Uber...hoping for more of a woosh for you! Glad to hear you are doing so wonderful

Laurie...thank you...I am not bummed if I don't get it I know I will get one when the time is right. It's all so new to me LOL but it will be hubby's turn to be the house husband

Diane...hope all that drama leaves soon....oh do I know it and hate it also I an almost 18 year old step daughter and my oh my the boys at 15 and 16 are WAY LESS drama!!!!! All's we can do is brush it off because they will have to learn at some point...that's my theory anyway....we will see if it has any truth when she hits the 20's....I hope it all clears away so the grumpy clouds will go away and the happy ones will come with joy!!! Okay now you can really tell I have little ones too...LOL

Still feeling off today. I don't know if I caught a bug or what. I have not been exercising so much I still do at least 3 times a week...but I really want to get another 20 pounds off before I attempt to finish the C25k! So maybe just a bug I have no idea! Saw 232.8...I REALLY want the 220's!!!!!

Last edited by jenjenangel027; 09-03-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 09-03-2014, 12:56 PM   #103  

Good Morning everyone!

Well, the scale has just been LOVING me this week! This morning, I saw 253! I'm down 5 lbs below my pre-vacation weight and a whopping 9 lbs lower than my post-vacation bloat weight. I'm not doing anything different except that I started walking with my son to school which adds about 25 minutes of walking to my day. So motivating to see the scale moving so fast, although I'm realistically expecting that this whoosh will end soon and I'll return to my previously glacial pace. I can't tell you all how eager I am to drop below 250!

Jenni Hope you're feeling better today!

Taryl Definitely I have weights I tend to stick at too. Some weights are just easier to maintain and harder to break through than others.

Calluna Hope your week is going well.

Martini Can't wait for you to pop in and tell us all that you've been splendidly on plan!

Laurie I know just what you mean about the "I could stay here forever" and "feel normal" weights. For me, 220 or below would be good enough, and 190 is definitely a "feel normal" point for me. In the 190s, I had a normal body fat % for my age and I could shop in the normal-sized stores.
Old 09-03-2014, 01:12 PM   #104  

Diane and Jenni Looks like I ninja's both of you!

Diane Just wanted to tell you that I relate on the kid front. My 23-y.o. is taking a semester off school and will be living at home for a few months. He's arriving tomorrow and I'm sure there will be some stress. Please feel free to vent here!

Jenni Sorry you're still not feeling well. Maybe you're fighting off a bug. Try to go easy on yourself.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:16 PM   #105  
Jessica, Becoming Me

S/C/G: 260 / 199 / 150

Height: 5' 6" | MG: 185

Jenni, wow. Sounds like some major nerves and anxiety in regards to the job. Or maybe you're coming down with something? Either way, take care of yourself and I hope you feel better soon.

Martini, I feel like I'm in a crazy box all the time so you're not really alone. Way to go with getting back on track.

Taryl, hope that you and Baby #5 are doing well.

Laurie, I've been having something of a similar experience with the fatigue since about the same time. That's crazy weird. I'm thinking it's a combination of factors that just happened to make a perfect storm but I'm still trying to let myself rest.

Diane, I'm sorry for the daughter difficulties... we girls can require a lot of patience. And I'm glad to hear that you realized how far your walking/running has come. Sometimes, we don't give ourselves enough credit.

Officially, I'm gonna say it's 209.0 lbs. In reality, I couldn't really tell if it was on 209 or 208 so it's probably in between. You know what, though? I'm happy with it either way. I do think that cutting out the tenths of a pound is going to be good for me.

I'm still working on my active recovery week. It seems like no matter how much sleep I get or how much resting I'm doing by the end of the night at work, I'm still exhausted and achy. Add that to the fact that I woke up starving this morning and I've been feeling munchy and I'm starting to think that time is coming. XD
Closed Thread