Old 01-11-2014, 11:54 AM   #331  
Deal Witch

S/C/G: 262/see ticker/160

Height: 5'2"

SeeMyFeet - I'm so happy for you!!! Yay! I know what you mean about tracking overload, there sure are a lot of options.

Frances - we Re saving you a place on the Onderland couch! You go girl!

1454 calories/1201 net, but my weight is up to 195.6. I'm not sur what's up, maybe I'm just eating too much. And I'm sure too much salt is an issue lately. Grr I love salty things! Do sore muscles weigh more? Omg my thighs are on fire! But I did the 50 squats yesterday and I'm doing 55 today.

On the lift app, I've committed to doing these four things daily: squat challenge, drink 4 16oz glasses of water, 30 bicep curls, and 10 minutes on the stationery bike. None of those things take much time, so I have no excuses. 😄

Happy weekend!
Llilith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 12:05 PM   #332  
Deal Witch

Hey I just found this, which makes sense since my normally lazy muscles are hella sore today.
http://www.shape.com/weight-loss/wei...se-weight-gain

I feel a little better about the number on the scale today and it may be time to go back to weekly weigh ins for my confidence and motivation. I'm not going to stop my workouts, though 😀
Old 01-11-2014, 05:21 PM   #333  
Crusin' into a new me

S/C/G: 260/234/160 reboot

Height: 5'5"

Ugggh weigh in today +1. Wrong direction...

Just keep swimming, swimming, swimming....
BuffieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #334  
Deal Witch

1653 calories today/299 exercise/1354 net... And I'm UP AGAIN - 196 this morning. If th gain is because I started working out, I wonder how log it lasts.

I did the squats yesterday, 55 of them. 60 planned for today and then tomorrow is s rest day, based on how the challenge is set up.

I'm going to stay off the scale til Wednesday, my official weigh day.

Last edited by Llilith; 01-13-2014 at 12:58 AM.
Old 01-12-2014, 11:59 AM   #335  
I think I'm losing it!

S/C/G: Highest 350 308/220/160

Height: 5'5"

Yes! Sore muscles = water weight! This is a hard thing to understand when you're exercising to lose weight, and the opposite shows on the scale! Don't lose heart. I had the same experience. You know that muscle is more dense than fat, anyway, so it's possible you're building muscle. The "derriere" is the biggest muscle in the body, and that's what you're working with squats, so it's understandable that the scale would jump!

Is it squats or crunches you're doing? I thought you said squats, but I see above you say crunches.

I love that ache from sore muscles - it means I've worked something that needs to get stronger, and the ache means it is! Squats are tough! Have someone take a photo of you from behind, now, in the beginning of your challenge. When you finish, I bet you'll be amazed at the results!

Last edited by AwShucks; 01-12-2014 at 12:03 PM.
AwShucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 12:59 PM   #336  
NewB'day:27Jun16

S/C/G: 233.4/231.2/199

Height: 5ft 3in

A few more calories yesterday....a little more sleep today...and what do I want to do today? Eat and sleep!

So...Jan 12...How's your New Year going? Keeping your resolutions? Things improving? For me--so far, so good. Annnnnd....it looks like I'm in a Weight LOSS trend. It's taken a lot of tweaking to get those graphs to move in the right direction. I'm hoping that this is the fix and that it will last. please please please

Gross! Today is No Pants day on the NYC subway system. For the rest of us, it's Take Your Towel day. Good excuse to keep working on those glutes, huh Lilleth??
SeeMyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:15 PM   #337  
apple to apple core

S/C/G: 275/215/175

Height: 5'7"

Llilith, getting caught up on the links you posted. Lmao @ the pic accompanying the article about gaining weight while working out... she's got the perfect wth look while staring at the scale! I've had that same look on my face so many times during my diet I can't count, and I'm not even working out. Also love, love, love the my bootay song I think weightlifting will cause weight loss stalling and even gain at times, just like the article said, so try not to be discouraged. I'm going to start weight lifting as well as other muscle building activity as soon as I'm under my soft goal of 190. I fully expect the same scale behavior that you are experiencing now. I could seriously use a better shape, though. Not that I'm entirely jello everywhere, but I need some help.

How can we be sure of how many calories we are burning with workouts? I haven't started yet, and would like some opinions and would also like to hear about experiences. I know that apps can give us an estimate of how many calories we burned as well as uh the arm things - fitbits, etc. I have read on other threads that some people halve those calorie burning estimates because devices and apps overestimate them. Some posters state they don't eat calories back from exercise. Any advice appreciated.
TooWicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 01:40 PM   #338  

S/C/G: 300/see ticker/165

Height: 5ft 8in

TooWicky, I am gadget obsessed and have a fitbit and a Polar loop. The loop is linked to a heart rate monitor on a band and is, I think the most accurate. However I don't take any of the gadget measurement as 100% truth and to be honest, don't eat the calories I burn due to a workout - I try to stick to the daily amount I budget for on the basis of a sedentary lifestyle, so workouts are bonuses. However as I am losing more weight i m realising maybe I need to eat the odd extra 100cals here and there if I do workout a lot so tend to be more flexible with portion size on the days I work out. Having said that, I have plateaued in the last two weeks after my Christmas whoosh.

I mainly use the gadgets to make sure I hit targets with steps, and have enough active minutes. With the polar loop I am getting interested in what heart rate is good for fat burning and trying to use it to help train for running (building up to 10km).

To be honest, I am loving exercise more than I would have ever believed. I love the feeling of being well and getting fit, and having energy. I was the fat kid who voided all sports - maybe the novelty of it is what I like too!

Go for it.
CrazyCatWoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:27 AM   #339  
Deal Witch

AwShucks - I'm doing squats, not sure why I typed crunches above. No crunches now please LOL. Great idea about the pic - gonna have hubby do it in a few.

SeeMyFeet - LOL at the NYC subway pants/towel day. Too funny!

TooWicky - I have been estimating them mostly based on the database from the loseit app. I try to figure them low, just to be on the safe side. And, I do consider the calories earned back fair game for eating. I'm looking at the net calories after exercise - I don't know if my body would have enough fuel to do the exercises when starting from a low calorie base of 1200 if I didn't. Plus I love to 'earn' more food calories. It's a bit of an incentive for me.

CrazyCatWoman - I love gadgets too - I'm using a jawbone up now and various apps that I've mentioned before. My favorite so far is the LIFT app, although I've only been using it for three days. I really like the feeling of accomplishment when I check something off the list and get to see the string of unbroken days with goals I've met. The fitness trackers all seem to have their limitations - like the jawbone won't count things like stationary biking, or even walking while shopping if you are pushing the cart with the hand you are wearing it on. Strange. I am starting to like the feeling of exercise too - that is so weird to me, but it's pretty great too!

So, this picture I am posting below is me today, at VICTORIA's SECRET. Some might remember that months ago I said one of my goals was to be able to walk into VS and buy a bra right off the rack. Today I went and got measured. I was a 38DD!!!! My old bras were 46C. I'm so excited and proud to have reached that milestone I set for myself. And I got to have a wonderful day with my adult daughter - she took the pic and said she was proud of me!

Old 01-13-2014, 02:22 AM   #340  
Walking

S/C/G: 104/ticker/81

Height: 180

At 215 pounds I think.
noshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:28 AM   #341  
apple to apple core

S/C/G: 275/215/175

Height: 5'7"

Gratz on the NSV, and happy photo, Llilith Thank you to you as well as CrazyCatWoman for the feedback on calories and gadgetry.

SeeMyFeet, yay on being in a weight loss trend !

Keep it up Frances123 and noshoes - GREAT JOB!

BuffieLynn, scales can be completely wacko sometimes, can't they. One night, after eating all day, I decided out of curiosity to weigh myself at the end of the day instead of the morning when I usually weight myself. When I saw the number I was like aw naw - I noped right off the scale and never did that again.

I had my official weekly weigh-in this morning, and, although I had seen a lower number during the week, I ended up at 194 for my official weekly weigh-in. That was a 1½ lbs loss from the previous week, so I'm not complaining. It's that TOM so I was somewhat fearful I might even see an increase, but, at least for today, it was a loss.

Random epiphany: If I lose 6 more lbs I will WEIGH LESS THAN MY HUSBAND amg finally!!!

NSVs:

- my size 16 jeans are getting loose in the caboose (but they still fit in the waistband. Thanks, residual apple shape problems)
- I was invited out after work to go over to Applebee's with the girls, and I did not have the biggest tummy in the group.
- For the first time in a bunch of months, I did not get one comment on my weight loss while at work. People are adjusting to the new me
TooWicky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 08:39 AM   #342  
NewB'day:27Jun16

S/C/G: 233.4/231.2/199

Height: 5ft 3in

Mornin' all!

The weekday routine is here! Yay!...kind of....I had 2 "calorie up" days over the weekend and I'm hoping hoping hoping that didn't blow everything to smithereens. I ate healthy food, just a bit more than my usual 8/900calories (and more bread). Anyway, I'm chasing my ticker again, and hoping the chase doesn't last long.

Yea, Lilleth, the thought of NoPantsDay is funny, but kinda gross to see the pictures on the news!

Welcome noshoes!

Size 14 pants!!! Holy cao! I will have to get down to below 150 before I can wear a size 14 again.
SeeMyFeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:38 PM   #343  

S/C/G: 263/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

Hi everyone!! great to read all your posts and catch up with your progress!!

Llilith, I'm so happy you got to go to Victoria's Secret!! I remember you saying that was a dream goal so it's great that you've achieved it! And such a difference in size!! What kind of bra did you go for?! And you're doing great with the exericise! I'm doing a tushie challenge of daily squats every day but it's much less than you're doing, today was 30 and it builds up to 60 by Jan 30th. Oh, and great article by the way, I read something similar about how the scale lies to you but I guess it's like a necessary evil, we can't really avoid weighing as how else would we have much idea of how we're doing. Keep at the exercise, I think it pays off in many more ways than just the scale too!

TooWicky, great NSVs - amazing on the pants!! And great steady losses too, well done!!

Re: Technology...this is about as advanced as I get! I still calculate calories on paper and I don't use any apps or anything. I think I'm seriously low-tech compared to all of you. My husband despairs of me and even my youngest can use the internet better than me...I guess my strengths lie elsewhere, I'll let you know when I find them!

I've had a manic morning today what with one thing and another but I managed to weigh in first thing AND I'm off to the gym this evening when things have calmed down a bit, but I'm happy to report I am officially in onderland!! I kinda got there before Christmas but I'm sure by the 25th I was back in the 200s again, but now I am determined to make this stick!!

Get the shot glasses out Llilith, I'm ready for the tequila!!
jennybutler357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 01:42 PM   #344  
Deal Witch

wooohoooo Jenny!!!

Plenty of room on the onderland couch, since our butts are way smaller now!

edit to add - I forgot to answer your question, Jenny. I went with a Dream Angels Perfect Coverage bra in white with black straps and black lace accents. Matching panties too woohoo!!

Last edited by Llilith; 01-13-2014 at 02:04 PM.
Old 01-13-2014, 02:05 PM   #345  

S/C/G: 272/See Ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

was down to 197 yesterday and back up to 199 today... it happens- I usually have to bounce for a couple days to make it permanentish.. Tough weekend, this weather is driving me nuts. We put our car into the ditch on Friday night and then after getting it pulled out (thank you Jesus for friends) took 2 and 1/2 hours to drive home in a trip that usually takes 15 minutes. So much ice and we slid all over the place. Stress! But I didn't fix it by eating, came home and went to bed. That is a major victory for me!
lotsakids is offline   Reply With Quote