Old 03-29-2013, 12:53 PM   #1  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Default Stay the Course

Well Nate (my scale) is having a fit of some sort this week.

I know it's nothing to worry about - I'm on plan and have added exercise and have been really good about drinking my water. But for some reason it's really bugging me.

So I just keep telling myself to "Stay the Course."

Which is easy in my head, but hard for some reason today.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:36 PM   #2  

S/C/G: HW~330 CW~291.4 GW~285

Height: 5'4

You can do it! I keep telling myself I am one day closer to the goal!
JustB1027 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 03:37 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 286/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

I'm feeling the same way rodeogirl I've been at this pretty steady since the middle of January and the scale has never been so fickle as it was this past week. It just doesn't want to play nice.

It's like I have one of those cartoon idea clouds of the bathing suit I want to be in this summer floating over my head and every time I get on the scale it get's smaller and smaller. Today it popped all together.

I'm trying to stay positive, stay on track and remind myself that even if it takes a little longer to get where I want, there is no reason to derail the whole train.

Hopefully next week will be kinder to us.
charliee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 05:12 PM   #4  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

If you're on-plan, and your plan works for you, it WILL work. Sometimes it works over a month rather than over a week. I know I often have to look at the overall trend rather than the day-to-day (or even week by week) or I can get discouraged.

I also write up "health scripts" -- encouraging pep-talk paragraphs and motivational sayings that help keep me on track -- and re-read them when I need them most.

If you can hold steady for the evening, chances are good you'll be okay tomorrow. Studies of dieters show that if they stray in the afternoon, and "give up" for the evening, they may get completely off track. If on the other hand you stray in the afternoon, and get right back on-plan the rest of the evening, you are less likely to get off-track more than that.

And for future, you may want to look into tools for helping when this happens again (and it WILL happen again -- it happens to all of us!). Plan now for that eventuality.

Most diet plans are great for telling you what to eat and what not to, and what exercise to do. They don't really touch on how to deal with food you have a "history" with, binge-triggers, family issues, social food situations, and how to recover when you stumble so you don't just throw yourself down the mountain instead.

There are a couple of good books that deal not just with diet, but with behavior change. You might find them in the library. My go-to books for this sort of thing are Four Day Win, Thin Commandments, and Beck Diet Solution.

You CAN do this! And next time, the good habit will be that much stronger.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #5  
career counselor a-gogo

Intellectually I know I'm ok - I know that a week can go by without a loss and it's nothing to worry over.

Emotionally I want to see a new low! All the time!

Patience isn't my strong point.
Old 03-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #6  

Hang in there, rodeogirl! You are working hard and the scale will reward you. Our bodies are mysteries and we never know when and how much we are going to lose. I swear the weeks that I am *extra* good with food and exercise the scale gives me the big ol' finger. But then we kiss and make up and I get a wooooosh which makes me so happy.

Just keep plugging along, don't let your grumpy scale stray you from the course.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 06:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 291/234/170

Height: 5'9"

I totally understand what you mean rodeogirl, but I just try to remind myself when I hit a "pause" in my weight loss that it is only temporary, and that my body needs time to catch up with all the changes.
ForeverVivid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:15 PM   #8  
career counselor a-gogo

I just want to thank everyone for the comments. I dunno why I was having such an emotional reaction the other day - it helped a lot to come and vent and later the night i wrote this I REALLY wanted to go raid the fridge and eat everything in sight. I managed to stay upstairs (away from the kitchen) and kept a not perfect day from turning to disaster.

Anyhow thanks!
Old 03-31-2013, 11:20 PM   #9  
dirty labour daughter

S/C/G: 318/301/155

Height: 5'10"

Good for you, rodeogirl! Glad you kept your night binge-free and got the support you needed!
merilung is offline   Reply With Quote