Old 02-09-2012, 07:57 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

I agree with what everyone is saying. DO NOT lock yourself into something that might cause disappointment. Your goal of losing over 150 pounds in 9 1/2 months is very ambitious. Here are 2 things I did to help me see what was happening.

First I strung 100 beads on a ribbon and hung them on the bedroom curtain near the scale. Every Wednesday, I moved beads from right to left as I lost. There are still 10 beads to move as I re-evaluate things.

Second - I made a chart on Excel that had the date for every Wednesday in 2011 down the first column. My weight loss goal was in the next column. I deducted 3 pounds per week for the first 10 weeks. I thought I could maintain that amount of weight for that amount of time. Then I deducted 1% per week through the end of the year. In my mind, this was a realistic goal. It took me to 152 pounds by Christmas. The third column was my actual weight. In addition, I put certain weeks in bold as a reminder of certain goals - a camping trip with friends, nephew's wedding, niece's wedding, class reunion, etc.

What the chart did was break 100 pounds down into weekly goals that were completely obtainable. I think it was a big reason I was able to stay on plan so easily. I set out to lose 100 pounds by Christmas, but changed my mind - perhaps temporarily - when I got to 90 pounds by October 1st. I'm 60 years old and my face was getting too thin. My skin was too loose. I was starting to look older than 60. I needed to "regroup." My body is good (in my opinion) at a size 10 - 12. I'm not looking to wear a bikini or cute thigh high boots.

I'm saying this to let you know it's almost impossible to judge your final goal when you are starting out. Changing your goal is OK. Stay flexible. Stay focused. Stay on plan. You can do this.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:23 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 271/219/145

Height: 5'9"

I know that there are people who have lost over 100lbs in a year. Maybe even lots of them. But I found that a sustainable, long-term, this-is-a-lifestyle-change-and-not-a-diet-or-exercise plan kind of weight loss for me was more like a pound a week. To be honest, I've lost close to 50 lbs over more than two years, so the real progress has been more like half a pound a week. When I am strongly focused, that pound a week is achievable, but it comes with periods of less focus where the losses are slower.

I'm not saying this to be discouraging, but to say that 130 lbs in 9 months is a lot and setting the bar that high is a good way to get frustrated.

The other thing I would say is that even though I'm less than halfway to my weight loss goal, where i am now is awesome. My face and body look totally different -- some people don't even recognize me when they see me. I'm also a lot stronger and healthier -- my resting pulse is down 20 points, my blood pressure is down 10-15 points, I can do lots of athletic stuff that I couldn't at 270, like rock climbing and hiking with a 40lb pack in the mountains, and running a 5k and completing a bootcamp class that has all the little skinny girls wanting to die as well.

I know that I'm going to keep going as long as it takes me to feel done. I'm 100% sure. This feels really different to me than any other time I've tried to lose weight and I've gotten further as well. So, do try to lose weight before your birthday, but celebrate regardless of how far you get.
defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 09:26 PM   #18  
In it to win it

S/C/G: 295/Ticker/150

Height: 5'4"

I put myself in the mindset that all I have to lose is the amount on my ticker. Right now I'm working towards 199. I don't think about anything but that number when it comes to my weightloss. Once I reach that goal I'll adjust my ticker to a new goal but keep the same mindset. If I thought about how much I actually have to lose total I'd go insane!
BeachKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #19  

S/C/G: 350+/172/150

Height: 5'3"

The idea of losing 200 lbs seemed totally crazy to me - it just sounded like so much and was so daunting. I went with a "this is how I'm going to be for the rest of my life" plan, and let the numbers come off as they have. I definitely get excited about milestones - being under 300 and having lost 100 lbs were the big ones for me, and now I'm 6 lbs away from onederland and really looking forward to that.
I guess the difference for me was not saying "I'm going to diet until I get to 150 lbs" but thinking I'm going to make healthy changes for life and lose weight and see where my body winds up, hoping to eventually get to a healthy BMI and the ability to wear skinny jeans
Now I have 54 lbs left and that doesn't feel so crazy...
freefall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:10 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 322/see ticker/160

Height: 5ft5

I guess I should have been a little bit clearer. I completely agree that this is a lifestyle change and am making it such. I am not putting a deadline on my weight loss but I am pushing myself to do everything in my power to get to that number. My husband and I would like to have a child and at this weight I simply can not do it. Soooo we have always said 30 was when we wanted to start trying and I feel that if I can make it to 165 than I won't be back to 250 when I get pregnant. Pretty much anything under 200 will make me happy. If I don't get there by then I don't however a goal is a goal and I am going for it for now.
OnMyWayDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 09:56 PM   #21  
300lbs in avatar

S/C/G: 339/287/225

Height: 5'9

I know exactly how you feel. When I first decided I was going to start my weight loss journey and I decided on my goal weight It was scary thinking about having to lose 140 lbs! but I just decided to give my self 30 lb goals to give myself some kinda short term celebratory achievement. it's only been about 2 months and I'm about 3 lbs away from my first goal of 30 lbs lost. It goes by much quicker when you set small goals and then completely block out the fact that you weighed more and start again from that achieved goal. I've also joined a lot of challenges and the 5 lb lost thread has helped me because I'm only thinking about winning that challenge and not even thinking that I'm losing 5 lbs to win. each time I win I get closer and closer to my goal. Good luck.

Last edited by CaliforniaDreamer; 02-10-2012 at 09:59 PM.
CaliforniaDreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 04:20 AM   #22  
committed

S/C/G: 299/147/120

Height: 5'2"

I have to just take it one pound at a time. I CANNOT look at the total I need to lose, or even 5- or 10-pound chunks.

How much do I have to lose? Just one pound.

Rinse and repeat.

I've lost almost 130 pounds so far. Need to lose ONE more...
piper10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012, 05:04 AM   #23  
pick your hard

S/C/G: 240/192/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by piper10 View Post
I have to just take it one pound at a time. I CANNOT look at the total I need to lose, or even 5- or 10-pound chunks.

How much do I have to lose? Just one pound.

Rinse and repeat.

I've lost almost 130 pounds so far. Need to lose ONE more...
brilliant attitude!!! and obviously successful as you've done it 130 times!
Kitcherella is offline   Reply With Quote