bump to the top
SmallSteps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:56 PM   #17  
I can do this

S/C/G: 230/222/175

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallSteps View Post
I may try a multi vitamin again and see if I still have the same responds I use to which was severe vomiting very shortly after taking it.
I can't take vitamins on an empty stomach. Try taking it after (on top of) food rather than before eating, or taking it at bedtime. If it's a stomach issue, one of those might help.

I'm worried about losing hair--my hair is already thin :-(
bethFromDayton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 08:24 PM   #18  
Restart 11/2012 at 153lbs

S/C/G: Hw194/Sw160/Cw120/gw125

Height: 5'2" on the dot!

I actually lost less hair, my husband just commented on how he has not found my long hairs on him lately, maybe it is a vitamin deficiency I take like 15 different things. I don't know what on my list has helped but I take calcium, d, Folic acid, magnesium, chlorella, spirulina, olive leaf, cayenne, chlorophyll, potassium, flax seed oil, omega red, c, vitamin e, fruit and veggie blend. I take iron like a couple times a week cause I used to test anemic in the past. Hope u remedy your problem, I know hair loss causes stress which in turn causes more hair loss.
chubbiegurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #19  
Starting over sucks.

S/C/G: 485/445/250

Height: 6'1

I don't know what changed, but I was losing quite a bit of hair up until this month. I am taking biotin, but only 500mg per day. I've lost 35 pounds this month so it isn't due to a loss slow down. Maybe the primrose oil I added?
Radiojane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:46 AM   #20  
Trying for normal

S/C/G: 253/ticker/175

Height: 5'5"

SmallSteps when I was pregnant I couldn't take the pre-natal multi-vitamin, it made me want to puke. I was pretty sure it was the high iron content in it. I took a regular multi, iron separately (as a liquid) and a folic acid only supplement and had no problems at all.

I know it will be expensive, but you might want to experiment with supplements that aren't an all-in-one. You can isolate and avoid the one or more that makes you ill.
AlmostMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:03 AM   #21  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallSteps View Post
I have never lost this much hair before when I was dieting but there is a first time for everything right?

No I do not take multi-vitamins they make me deathly ill for some unknown reason.
Do you take them with food? If I don't have food in my stomach when I take a multi, I get nauseated and very uncomfortable. You also might try taking a children's multi rather than an adult's multi. See if you can tolerate one of those.

I also agree with a previous poster who mentions eating enough protein and good fats. If you are eating very low fat, you may not be getting enough protein and fat to maintain hair growth.

I aim at 1200 calories most days, which is pretty low. But I make sure to eat at least 80 grams of protein each day. I think it helps my hair and nails. Other times when I've eaten very low fat (think Pritikin), I've definitely noticed hair loss and split nails.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:35 AM   #22  
Living Intuitively

S/C/G: Heavy/Happy/Free

Height: 5'6"

New Chapter Vitamins are incredibly incredibly gentle on the stomach. http://www.amazon.com/New-Chapter-Ev.../dp/B003DGZREM

I would definitely look more into vitamins, since you are taking a rather aggressive dieting approach.

I also second biotin. I use it on a daily basis. I also use krill oil.
lunarsongbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:07 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 304/236/160

Height: 5'7

I have medium length blond hair and I always start losing a lot when I go on a diet. The more rapid the weight loss, the more hair I lose. I estimate I lose 20-30 strands per day and these are long hairs from my scalp, not broken ends. Fortunately I started with very thick hair, so now (after 6 months of dieting) it looks like average thickness.

I eat the proper amount of protein. I also take a multi-vitamin every morning. (I find my stomach easily handles pills in the morning but it's more fussy later in the day.) I do take levothroxyin as I have a low thryoid but I have had that for 10 years and the hair loss is not related to that--it's definitely triggered by losing weight.

Cutting down to 1400 calories or less per day, no matter how balanced the diet, results in losing weight and losing weight = losing hair for me. I hope that when my body gets used to the lower calorie way of life, it will resume normal hair replacment. Because I'm not going back to 3,000 calories a day!

Thanks for the tip on biotin--I will research that.
palomino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 03:42 PM   #24  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

The last time I lost a lot of weight quickly, I definitely noticed hair loss but ironically I didn't notice it when it was happening. I have very thick, long, curly hair. I noticed it when I went to get a haircut 4 months later and the stylist was working on my layers and noticed a new "layer." There was so much regrowth that it looked like I had a short layer put in - I like long ones only. Ick!! But, it kept growing and is normal now. So, yeah, it grows back. You just might have a new hairstyle when it does. But, getting a new haircut to go with your weight loss can be fun

*Definitely what kaplods said - it's worth it to make sure this is just related to weight loss.
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote