Old 12-02-2011, 04:27 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/271/150

Height: 5'4"

Question need an opinion over here!!! heart rate monitor or work out clothes?

So my stepmother is giving me an early xmas present and I am trying to decide between a set of work out clothes (compression tank and bermuda shorts) or a heart rate monitor. But I am having the hardest time deciding what to choose!

I'm still at the begining of my weightloss (only about 8 lbs down from my highest weight of 280) so part of my is leaning toward the heart rate monitor because it will be something that will last me for a larger span of weightloss, but the other part of me really wants the clothes because I only have one "nice" outfit to work out in (I do have a few really ratty tanks and yoga pants, but so holy/ripped that I wouldn't go to the gym in any of those).

The sale on the workout clothes ends today, so I need to make a decision soon. So ladies (and gents?) what would you choose?
rune2484 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 04:44 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

I would get the heart rate monitor and then go to Old Navy for some cheap workout clothes.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:06 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/204/125

Height: 5'3''

I would get the clothes. I got a heart rate monitor after checking craigslist forever and found that it didn't really apply to me yet because most any workout I'm doing I'm huffing and puffing and it's more important to just move. Plus I had to loose some weight to fit into the chest strap. That's something they never really tell you about.

That being said...where is the sale!?
luvinit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #4  
Against all odds

S/C/G: 340/331/170

Height: 5'8"

Hi,

I have a heart monitor, and it is a Polar brand heart rate monitor with a built in weight loss system that tracks your heart rate and really challenges you. I had this same dilemma a few months ago and although my clothes are a little ratty (I sew up the holes for until I have money to buy more) I have lost a baseline of 5 lbs a week (given I eat the right things lol) it's like having a personal trainer there with you to help you along. I highly recommend it! That, and you can use it until you reach your goal and beyond! It has a maintenance function on it too! that, and if you're losing weight as fast as I am, you're going to need more workout clothes soon anyway lol
darlingbrit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 05:58 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvinit View Post
I would get the clothes. I got a heart rate monitor after checking craigslist forever and found that it didn't really apply to me yet because most any workout I'm doing I'm huffing and puffing and it's more important to just move. Plus I had to loose some weight to fit into the chest strap. That's something they never really tell you about.

That being said...where is the sale!?

LaneBryant.com is having a buy-one-get-one-free sale today, and it applies to their activewear as well - it is still expensive, but much more in the realm of reason at this price!

Thanks for all of the thoughts - I'm still on the fence. I wish I could try on the HRM chest band before buying - or at least find out what the measurements are.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:11 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 255/holding at 162/160

Height: 5'-7"

Get the monitor. You can get temporary clothes on sale and for little money if you watch for them. I wore KMart shorts and tees/tanks for my whole 90 pounds. Now I'm much more apt to actually spend a bit of money on workout clothes since they'll actually fit till they wear out.

Nice gift, buy the way.

Lin
linJber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
I would get the heart rate monitor and then go to Old Navy for some cheap workout clothes.
THIS THIS THIS!!!!
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 180/159/169

Height: 5'6.5''

The heart rate monitor will be your best friend for a long time.Cheap(and cute) working out clothes are easy to find at Walmart or Target.Lucky you!

Last edited by singing; 12-04-2011 at 09:15 PM.
singing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #9  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Heart Rate Monitor - for sure! I just started using mine and it makes all the difference in the world. I was happily plugging away on the elliptical and now I realize I wasn't working nearly hard enough. I love watching my heart rate instead of the minutes!
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 02:15 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 270?/See Ticker/185

Height: 5'9"

I had to go workout clothes shopping 3 times over the course of my journey. I would wait until you are close to goal to get some stuff you really like. The monitor will last you no matter what your weight is. One thing I did do was buy quite a bit of workout gear once I was out of the plus sizes, even though I wasn't at goal yet. I always hated the plus sized workout clothing options.
fattymcfatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 11:44 AM   #11  

Thanks everyone! I am going with the heart monitor because I figured it is better to understand my body than it is to clothe it, lol.

But to clarify - in reguards to workout wear - I haven't found any other workout clothes that I am comfortable in. I am in the 28ish size range at LB, so finding stuff at Walmart and Target (at least in the area that I live in) is meager at best. So that is why I was strongly considering the activewear.

Thanks so much for your guidence I REALLY appriciate it!
Old 12-06-2011, 06:00 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 265/260/170

Height: 5'6"

Have you considered trying to order cheap workout clothing online? Often a store like Target will have more sizes available through their website than you'd find in the store. And I've never had trouble returning a thing that didn't fit.

Also, I have had the same Polar heart rate monitor (an F12) for 5 years and I LOVE it. I've replaced the battery twice (cost about $10 each time) and it's still going strong. I once participated in a fitness study where they measured my calories burned in an exercise lab using all sorts of advanced equipment, and they let me wear my Polar during the sessions just so I could double check its accuracy--it was always within 25 calories of the lab readings. I was impressed and I love knowing that I am getting an accurate readout of my calories burned.
severine is offline   Reply With Quote