Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2003, 08:05 AM   #1  

Default does anyone strength train?

Good morning,
I was wondering if anyone here had success with strength training? I really need to tone my body (especially hips/behind and arms). I bought 3 pound weights (I'm a wimp) and a video from Prevention magazine called "Fat to Firm," which is a twenty minute strength training video.

Any suggestions or success stories appreciated! Does it really increase your metabolism and help you drop clothing sizes (along with healthy eating and aerobic exercise, that is?)

Thanks,
Sherry
Old 01-16-2003, 08:35 AM   #2  

Most definitely!!! I am a HUGE proponent of strength training for well-being. There are tons and tons of different routines out there, and I've never run across one I thought was bad ... Obviously you've picked one to get started, and that's the important thing. I've been lifting weights for about 7 months now, and while I wouldn't say it's been any obvious help with weight loss, it has made a world of difference in my mood, energy and attitude.

After you've done it for a while, you'll probably want to explore some more options ... I think it's a good idea to vary your workout every once in a while. If you're not feeling more energy, you're probably not working hard enough -- and in my experience you don't have to push yourself all that hard to get that feeling.

You'll probably also want to get a few more weights soon. Many routines instruct you to go from lower weights to higher, or higher to lower (I prefer lower to higher myself) ... plus you'll discover that you really want to use a heavier weight on some muscles. For instance, especially when I started, my shoulders were particularly weak and I found a 5-pound weight on shoulder exercises was pretty strenuous. But with my biceps, I had to use as much as a 10 pound weight to get a real challenge going.

So, IMO, do your 20-minute routine for a while, and when you start feeling you need to expand start doing some research -- the library has plenty of books on the subject, and of course there are gyms and plenty of videotapes. And ultimately, you don't have to do hours and hours of work each time to get results.

Good luck!

Pen
265/218.5/150ish
Old 01-16-2003, 08:44 AM   #3  
Searching

Default I get a rush out of lifting weights

It makes me feel good to lift weights. Huge endorphin rush and now I can pin the old man down The tone is a wonderful thing and can get you into your clothes faster. Don't underestimate the power of the push-up.Stong arms, back, and shoulders!

Miss Chris
Old 01-16-2003, 10:16 AM   #4  
Future marathon runner

S/C/G: 310/185/Where my body takes me

Height: 5'8"

I do strength training also, I lift weights and do all different toning exercises. I've noticed that the inches are coming off really fast. In my arms now, without flexing, you can see the definition on my muscles. I really enjoy doing it.
Old 01-16-2003, 10:31 AM   #5  

I'm just getting back to it. I've scheduled strength training at the "Y" Mon/Wed/Fri. I'm a huge fan of it. I lost 100 pounds doing it before. (along with aerobics)

Yikes..you say. You lost 100 pounds and gained it back? Yep. Got diagnosed with arthritis, started on huge steroids, depression, lived lousy.. and voila. You have me now.

Sandie
Old 01-16-2003, 10:45 AM   #6  

I'm strength training as well right now & really am enjoying it. My arms are still like limp noodles , but my legs are getting firm & toned. I love it!
Old 01-16-2003, 08:45 PM   #7  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

I enjoy it, as well. Makes me feel like I'm REALLY exercising
Old 01-18-2003, 11:48 PM   #8  

Default Me too!!

The only exercise I really like to do is strength train. I hate aerobics/cardio/whatever, and have to force myself to do it.. I have 3, 5, 8, and 10 lbs weights, and really need to get a set of 12, 15 and 20!!! I can do bicep curls with 20 lbs weights!! (I was playing in Sears a few days ago). All that, and I'm around 375 lbs!! I think I'd look amazing if I lost the fat, because I'm very strong.

Now, if I can stop ordering out for Pizza and eating everything in the house and actually USE those weights and do some exercising and stop using every excuse in the book, maybe I'd have that amazing body after all....

Theresa
Closed Thread