Old 02-16-2011, 05:40 PM   #16  
Porthardygurl

S/C/G: 315/see ticker/180

Height: 6ft

Hey OhMYdogs, We are almost at the same weight right now and i totally share in your frustration and discouragement. I am working out almost every day and counting calories and doing south beach at the same time and in the first week i lost 7 pounds and im now finishing the second week and ive only gone down like .5 of a pound....and yet im doing everything right..i know its going so slow..its discouraging..i want to throw my scale out cause it feels like my hard work is doing nothing..Nothing to show for..I try to eat about 1600 calories but its hard getting up past 1200..im trying to figure out how to add more good calories.. It takes so long when there is such a long way to go..ive got another 95 pounds to go..
Porthardygurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:50 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 295/278/160

Height: 5'7

PHgurl, we should be buddies, I'm even from your neck of the woods (originally), I am Victoria born and raised!

Maybe you need to up your calories too? Things like peanut butter are a good, healthy way to get calories in I'm not sure what else, I'm gonna have to rearrange my thinking when i go get groceries, and allow for some higher calorie (but not crazy high) foods. Eggs are about 75 calories per egg (whites are a lot lower), cheese (even light cheese) is high in calories too, avocado is higher too i think ...maybe we should ask in the calorie counting forum??
OhMyDogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:27 PM   #18  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

You can even google healthy snacks, I'd stay away from anything that is mostly carbs though.

Peanut butter with celery
Cauliflower with a bit of ranch (FF if you like)
Other veggies such as carrots in baggies.
Hard boiled egg (the yolk is good for you)
Tuna with mustard and veggies
a few pickles spears or mini pickles
some almonds
sugar free jello
etc

Last edited by beerab; 02-16-2011 at 06:28 PM.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:30 PM   #19  
onedayatatimer

S/C/G: 224/ticker/145-155

Height: 5'9.5"

I wanted to chime in here by saying something that I read here a few months ago. Someone said that the concept that we lose 1-2 lbs. per week really messes with our heads...and I agree. We actually lose up to 1-2 lbs. a week on average. I also read somewhere here that when we have been obese for a while, it makes those weight loss formulas of what we should lose if we create x amount of deficit quite inaccurate. This isn't for everyone and all of our bodies are so different. I just wanted to say that those two things really resonated with me because it made me realize that I have this idea of how I am supposed to lose weight and when that doesn't happen, I get very discouraged and feel like giving up. I hope this helps someone.
luckymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 06:33 PM   #20  

Thank you beerab....we were just trying to find healthy ways of eating MORE calories, as increasing by 500 is going to be a bit of a challenge.

Also...this will probably sound like a dumb question, but if I drink 144 oz of water a day (that's 4.5 litres) don't I have to worry about water intoxication, or of offsetting my electrolytes? Yeah, I have a little anxiety LOL.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:51 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 258/246.2/140

Height: 5'4 1/2

OhMyDogs, I definitely understand where you are coming from. Thank you for expressing how you feel. The responses from everyone else have helped me. I'm doing Diet to Go and I'm on their 1200 calorie low fat plan. I'm going to add more calories. That is after I work of the extra I've added from my 4 day binge.

I also get on my scale constantly. I have scaled it back some, because I don't want to see when the scale goes up and down. I think it does something to me mentally when I see the scale number increase.
Caring4myself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:31 AM   #22  

OK So I have a question....I got on the scale this morning, because I was going to get a new "start weight" for my new, improved, upped calorie try. So I get on, and POOF, I am down 3lbs since yesterday (YAY YAY YAY)

Do I still proceed to increase my calories?

I'll do whatever you all think is best, I just want to be sure.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:41 AM   #23  
Keepin' on...

S/C/G: 350/208/150

Height: 5'4"

Hey Ohmydogs, I'm late to the thread, but I wanted to tell you that I lose weight in whooshes, and even moreso now that I've started really ramping up my exercise. It was really frustrating to be working my fanny off and have the scale stay the same for 2 weeks! Then I'd lose 4 lbs. This last stall lasted almost 3 weeks, then I lost 5 last week. Stayed the same this week, probably will again next week, then I hope for another whoosh.

I do tend to eat more calories than you do -- 1500-1600 most days. I am very satisfied on that amount, don't tend to get out of control munchies and hunger pangs, and have lost 87 lbs in about 9 months (15 since New Years!). Can't hurt to give increasing calories a try, except that I know it can be a bit scary. The whole thing's an experiment, really, and I wanted to find a range that I could lose decently in but with some room to move down if I really sincerely stall out later on down the line.

Congrats on the 3 lbs! WOOOOOO!
shannonmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #24  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Water intoxication is something to worry about if you ONLY drank water. You will still be eating food and you will also be urinating so you should be fine.

You can also build up the water consumption- try to go up 8 oz a day until you hit a spot that is comfortable for you- maybe shoot for over 100 oz a day until you are comfortable with that number then adjust up if you think you need to.

I would still increase the calories- you don't want your body to get used to living off of that small amount as it is.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:56 AM   #25  

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerab View Post
Water intoxication is something to worry about if you ONLY drank water. You will still be eating food and you will also be urinating so you should be fine.

You can also build up the water consumption- try to go up 8 oz a day until you hit a spot that is comfortable for you- maybe shoot for over 100 oz a day until you are comfortable with that number then adjust up if you think you need to.

I would still increase the calories- you don't want your body to get used to living off of that small amount as it is.
Thank you very much!!!

Now, I just gotta find a way to fill in these extra calories!! LOL. I am also going to step up my working out at home. I do a good job the 3x a week I go to the gym, but what I do at home on my non-gym days is sissy! Time to get up and doooo it!!!
Old 02-19-2011, 11:15 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/140

Height: 5'5

...Just adding some support...don't give up and remember why you're losing weight in the first place. I know that sometimes when i have my cheat days and I get on the scale in see that I have gained it make me want to quit, but I realize that my reasons for losing weight are bigger than my current disappointment (if that makes sense).
NubiaxRu is offline   Reply With Quote