Old 11-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #1  
Hot Momma

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5 ft

Default So......

Remember when I said I was going to start weighing myself daily. I weight in the mornings before I eat, after I use the bathroom. oh man, maybe I should go back to weekly. I thought I mentally prepped myself for the daily fluctuations but uh.....yea! Its not even freaking fluctuating, it's just stair climbing. Sunday I was at 210.4 (same as last week). Monday morning it was 208.9, Tuesday 208.4, Wednesday 208.9, Thurs. 209.8, Fri---210.4, Sat-211.4

What the #@#%#@%#@~! man. Keep in mind Sunday through Wednesday I kept it very low calorie (1300) in anticipation of Thursday. Revved up my exercise. And I only ate one meal Thursday, which was just thanksgiving dinner. Than got right back on track for Friday. I keep telling myself maybe it's water retention. I mean I already drink like 80 ozs a day, so last night I downed an extra 30 oz. thought it'd help. Instead, I woke up to 211.4lbs. I feel a bit bloated, but it can't possibly be 3 pounds worth of bloat. I was in the 208's on tuesday and now i'm heavier than I was last week.

Somebody calm me down. :-(

Why can my brother eat and eat and eat and eat. And still be a walking scarecrow. I work out, eat a friggin sandwhich and swell up like a balloon.

Last edited by ksmommy; 11-27-2010 at 10:19 AM.
ksmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:34 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Ummmmm
It Could easily be 3lbs of bloat.
If a sandwich makes you bloat, maybe you have an intolerance to wheat? I know I can't eat too much.

Not trying to talk you into it but it can take ages for the daily weighing stats not to freak you out. It took me months, and still some days I throw tantrums at 'undeserved' gains or stickings; but it Does get better, and it's really helped me keep my sense of control and prespective: I'm in the fortunate position that it really is 'not rocket science' for me, it really is only a case of eating less and moving more. With that in mind, if I see a poor result on the scale but yet I know I ate correctly, 98% of the time I can nod and move on. If there's a possiblity that I overate, or maybe I can see increases related to a particular food, then I can take steps after only a day, rather than let a problem build up over a week.

Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #3  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I suggest checking out the daily weighing thread here in the 100 club. You'll see that all of our weights bounce around just like yours. It could be anything. Maybe your body is holding onto a bunch of the water you drank for repairs or whatever. Maybe you ate too much salt for Thanksgiving, quite likely actually. That weight won't drop for a few days.

Hang in there!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:45 AM   #4  
OMW to a brand new me!

S/C/G: 312/seeticker/135

Height: 5'1"

yeah it takes a while. I weigh every morning and still have occasional freak outs. Yesterday being one of them!

But three pounds of bloat is easy. When I started freaking out too much about my daily fluctuations, I just started keeping a calories journal. I have my calorie goals, and fiber goals. If one of those is off for a day or too, I can ABSOLUTELY see it reflected in the scale.

I also keep a fairly detailed spread sheet complete with graphs LOL. Seriously. I have one that is daily (during the work week) and another one that is weekly. I mark when its TOM, when I have eaten more or less, when I have changed my workout schedule, birthdays, holidays whatever. When I add a new food back into my eating rotation. Everything. Then I watch. If something makes me go up or down more than I like, I change things up.

It is all about gaining perspective and control. And logging your calories and stuff correctly.

As for your brother, I have a sister like that. She can eat whatever, and be fine, me.I LOOK at a brownie and gain five lbs LOL. My Daughters are the same way with each other. Not all bodies are created equally. Find what works for you and be patient. Not gonna come off overnight, it could take years.

OH also, try not to stress. I know that stress makes my body totally retain water.
lazylioness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 10:48 AM   #5  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
And I only ate one meal Thursday, which was just thanksgiving dinner.
And how many calories was that.

I know this was not the case with you, but we were driving home from our Thanksgiving dinner and on the radio it said that the average Thanksgiving dinner meal has 4500 calories!!!! Wowzer. And they said that was just the meal, not going back for leftovers in the middle of the night or anything prior to it. Just. The. MEal.

Anyway. That's not much data there. You need to see a longer period of time to learn your patterns. Stick with your plan. Be patient. Continue to consistently create a calorie deficit, that's 1 ,2, 3, 4,5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, (etc) days in a row and the weight will have to come off. It will have no choice but to.

Consistency. And patience. And then more consistency.

And more patience.

Oh and please don't compare yourself to others. You don't know what they're doing and not doing when they're not with you.

You need to concentrate on you and learn what will get you to be and then stay slim and healthy. Nothing else is important.

Consistency. And patience. Just thought I'd throw that in again .
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:35 AM   #6  
Hot Momma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
I suggest checking out the daily weighing thread here in the 100 club. You'll see that all of our weights bounce around just like yours. It could be anything. Maybe your body is holding onto a bunch of the water you drank for repairs or whatever. Maybe you ate too much salt for Thanksgiving, quite likely actually. That weight won't drop for a few days.

Hang in there!
I just went and checked out the thread. Made me giggle a little bit. Seems i'm not the only one having wtf daily weight gains. Puts it in perspective. I'm definitely participating in the December daily weight in's.

Sucks that water retention from eating too much salt will last several days, my official weigh in day is tomorrow. I never understood why people were constantly trying to avoid low sodium foods. definitely an ah-ha moment for sure.

And for the most part, I really really behaved Thursday even though it wasn't my typical low calorie meal. Didn't get seconds, and left food on my plate. That's a first time EVER.

I guess after I start doing this longer, I won't get to frazzled to see it go up and down, or up and up then drop down. I REALLY would like to get the heck out of the 200's by January 1st.

Last edited by ksmommy; 11-27-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 11:47 AM   #7  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

I can bounce around up to 5 pounds a day!! The first few times you see that it can be VERY frustrating, disappointing and depressing!! Usually when I see a crazy rise the next day I will see a small drop.. BUT not always! Sometimes it will climb for days. Then it can take days and days to come back down or it can simply woosh and in a day or two it's all gone and takes some with it.

I can't explain it, but I know if I stay on plan it will happen, it has to!
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:55 PM   #8  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

Its tough, but you really need to stick to it and think about the longer term trends. Lots of things can make your weight fluky for a week or so, but in the long term if you are doing the right things the average will be in the right direction.

It might help to plot things in excel and maybe take the running average. That way you can see that after you plot things for a week or so that even if there is a jump up for a couple of days that the trend is still down.

It takes a while to be comfortable with the jumps, but the longer you stick to it the less power the scale has over you and the more confidence you have in yourself and the good healthy decisions you have made.

Trust yourself and the good things you have done more than the fluky scale.
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 11:21 PM   #9  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

I've been weighing bout every other day for a month. tryinjg to pay attention to fluctuations and what may cause what to happen.

I noticed that tues or wed, my 'official' weigh day(s) I usually lose 1-3 lbs, in general. but, after that, during the week I bounce up and down, I noticed that when I exercise harder or push myself a bit and wake up sore,I can bounce up as much as 5 lbs. then it's gone once my muscle soreness is gone. (this has to do with glycogen in your muscles, which when you exercise increases and I read that one lb of glycogen can be packed in up to 3 lbs of water) Once the soreness is gone and my exercise routine has acclimated to what I'm doing a bit more, the scale is back down 1-3 lbs which is usually tues or wed.

So, people tend to think oh I ate good and worked out harder than usual and I gained what is going on?!

but it's math. If you KNOW you did not eat an extra 3500 calories ( 1 lb of weight) or more that week, then I wouldn't stress, your body does weird things but for the most part, unless you are eating more than you're burning, that gain is not FAT and that iswhat we should worry about.

its' taken me awhile to get here, and overexposure to the scale (and paying attention to trends) has helped me get here.I am confidant I"m doing everything right and like robin said, sooner or later it will come off, it has no choice.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:17 AM   #10  
slim endgame

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/150

Height: 5' 4"

Somebody calm me down. :-(

Why can my brother eat and eat and eat and eat. And still be a walking scarecrow. I work out, eat a friggin sandwhich and swell up like a balloon.[/quote]

ksmommy- I'm sorry I laughed when I read that last sentence! I feel your pain, I really do. I finally got the nerve to weigh this morning and I went from 200.0 to 203.2! I did eat a large meal Thanksgiving day. And later on that day I had cake. The next day was football day, and I had chips and dip. But today I'm back to my regular calorie counting.
I did figure out that one meal not only had a lot of calories but I ate ham. Along with the chips and dip that was a lot of sodium. I usually watch my sodium intake. So I think some of the 3 Lb. gain is water retention from all the sodium.
I do weigh daily- it keeps me in check. I keep a journal with the weight and date. But on my wall calendar for the whole house to see I write down my weight on each Sunday. Even though each day shows weight ups and downs- each Sunday's on the calendar shows a lower number each week. By weighing daily I can see foods that I need to try and limit. Not completely cut out- just limit.
Smile darlin at least you have control of your eating and exercise!!
goal4agirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:20 AM   #11  
Hot Momma

i'm trying. really really trying not to let it get me down. This morning it's down to 211.0. and today is my official weigh in day. 1lb up from last week. 3 pounds from Tuesday. I know, know know. it's water retention. I feel absolutely bloated and so miserable right now. tmi, And i'm constipated to top it off. I'm never eating Thanksgiving dinner again!!!

I've been downing green tea since Friday, seems to be adding to the problem not fixing. So....yea. I'm going to stay extremely active all day, see if that helps. I gotta clean my daughter's room so that should keep me busy for at least an hour. ha!
Old 11-28-2010, 09:43 AM   #12  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

Up 0.8 today but I truly have not deviated, so it can't be a fat increase. So I'm serene. No honestly.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 09:53 AM   #13  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksmommy View Post
i'm trying. really really trying not to let it get me down. This morning it's down to 211.0. and today is my official weigh in day. 1lb up from last week. 3 pounds from Tuesday. I know, know know. it's water retention. I feel absolutely bloated and so miserable right now. tmi, And i'm constipated to top it off. I'm never eating Thanksgiving dinner again!!!

!
It's not that you never have to eat Thanksgiving dinner again. You've just learned what happens when you do. You can now make a decision if it's worth it do you to do so, because you've learned that the scale will go up and stay up for a while.

Now you know. Knowledge is power.

And there's more knowledge (& power) coming. You'll see.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 05:20 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 208/ticker/143 - HW: 240

Height: 5'8''

Ditto what the others have said. I especially second the bloat idea. I ate carefully on Thursday and still gained 3lbs of water weight; it takes some longer than others to drop that. It really does take time to get used to the fluctuations, it took me months to gradually stop hyperventilating when the number shot up. After awhile though, if you keep at it, it's actually rather comforting, because then you're used to the changes and not as apt to be discouraged when you have a small gain. When you KNOW you haven't gone excessively off plan, there's no reason to panic.
Laureedee is offline   Reply With Quote