Old 10-05-2010, 03:11 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 260/190/160

Height: 5'4"

Default Has anyone gone from Weight Watchers to Calorie Counting??

So I have a question for everyone out there. Has anyone switched from following a Weight Watchers plan to Calorie Counting? How did it go? Pros/Cons? Good sites with info on the subject?

I have been on Weight Watchers for over a year and did tremendously well. I have lost about 75 lbs on the plan to date. The past month or two I have been struggling a little bit. I haven't gained any weight back, but have been maintaining. I was thinking that maybe trying something new would give me the swift kick in the butt I need to start getting back on track again. If anyone has any stories they can share (good or bad) or opinions, all are welcome. Thanks!
IHeartMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:20 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 256/ticker/150

Height: 5'11"

I did. I lost to my goal weight (about 75 pounds) and then to Lifetime on WW, and then when I reached Lifetime and stopped paying, (I used eTools, so I lost my points counter) I switched to CC and lost about 30 more.

I haven't really noticed a difference, my weight loss pretty much remained steady, but calorie counting does make you more accountable. There are lots of things (I know you're aware of it) that are 100 calories, but only 1 point and if you let yourself count more than one of them as 1 point, you'll really mess yourself up.

Anywho, I switched and it worked for me... Good luck with your goals!!
cherbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:55 PM   #3  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

I've never done WW, but I have some friends who have. The basic concept behind the two is similar (you have a limit of points/calories that you have to add up each day), so I don't think switching from one to the other would be all that difficult.

I kicked around the idea of WW before, but the biggest push for me towards CC is frankly, I'm cheap! With all the free online tools, phone apps, etc., it seemed silly for me to pay someone else to use their "system" when I can do it myself for free.

I also know that slow, steady weight loss is generally much better for you, but wow...the people I know doing WW seem to lose SO slowly. I wasn't out to drop 50 lbs overnight, but I don't think I would have the patience to be happy with 1/2-1 lb/week or whatever. On CC my weight loss varies, but generally I lose 1-3 lbs a week. A little less lately since I'm getting lighter, but of course that will happen with any plan as you approach a healthier weight.

As always, what works for one person doesn't always work for another and I think any plan that is healthy and proven (i.e., not some crazy Hollywood 500 calorie diet) is great as long as it works for you. If you want to give CC a try, I say go for it. If it doesn't work, you can always go back to WW.

Oh, and congrats on your loss! I hope to join you in onederland real soon!
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:09 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/190/160

Height: 5'4"

Thank you guys for your response!

NorthernExposure-I agree about the paying for a weight loss system. I have never once paid for WW. I actually did all of the research online and found all the info I needed without having to pay a membership or go to any meetings. That is one thing I refused to do is pay to lose weight. I was actually able to lose a steady 1.5-2lb per week on WW, but that's without eating the optional points every week. I just think I am getting a little bored with it.

Last edited by IHeartMe; 10-05-2010 at 04:10 PM.
IHeartMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 04:36 PM   #5  
Calorie Countin' Fool

S/C/G: 274/ticker/150 for now/137?

Height: 5'6"

That's great! After I made that post, I actually averaged out my losses for the year because I was curious. As of today, I've been doing this for exactly 38 weeks (since January 5th). As of Friday, I've lost 66 lbs, so I'm averaging 1.7 lbs/week. (I'd probably be a little further along if it weren't for the "break" I took this summer. I have summers off and my goal was to not gain, but I actually lost about 10 lbs.) So 1.5-2 lbs a week is about what I've been doing too when you average it all out.

One of my friends just recently quit the "formal" aspects of WW (no more meetings), but still does it on her own. She has a lot less weight to lose than I do, but I think it's kind of hard for her to stay on track because she seems to be losing so slowly and just loses focus. I think she does use her "bonus" points though, so maybe that's the key to a bit faster weight loss with that particular program.

Yeah, I think sometimes it's necessary to shake things up a bit. Sometimes I get bored with CC, but it's working for me so I stick to it. I have been varying my exercise quite a bit though, and that seems to help.

Good luck!
NorthernExposure is offline   Reply With Quote