Old 05-05-2010, 09:36 AM   #1  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Default So, does breakfast make all the difference in your day?

I discovered a while back.. actually while I was off plan!!.. that if I have carbs for breakfast I have a hard time all day long staying away from food in general.

The past few days I have been trying to have a fast breakfast (kids are demanding in the morning) so I ate a bowl of cereal and some fruit. I have struggled all day long on those days with wanting to eat like a pig! Today I took the time to make myself an omlet with 4 egg whites, 1 whole egg (I need that yolk ) 2 slices of ham and a slice of 2% cheese. (I also ate a slice of cheese and a slice of ham in the process of making my food)... it came to about the same calories as the cereal and fruit.. but was all protien.

I just realized it has been 2 1/2 hours since I ate it and I'm not hungry at all! The past few days, an hour after I ate I was STARVING for more!
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #2  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

that's interesting! It's always great to find out what works best for you. My automated breakfast (I say that as it's the same pretty much every day LOL) is a bowl of cheerios with 1% milk, a banana or some other fruit sliced into it, and when I'm done that, I eat a scoopie of 1% cottage cheese. Best of both worlds and I feel like getting some much-needed calcium Not hungry at all til lunch! yay!

The few odd days where I run out of time, I pick up a coffee/low fat muffin combo from McDonalds (both for $1.67!) and I'm ravenous by about 10:30
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:45 AM   #3  
fat-fighting ninja!

S/C/G: 276/seeticker/235

Height: 5'7

I used to never eat breakfast before i started my journey.. but now.. IM sooooo hungry when i wake up i have to eat.. i used to eat oatmeal everyday because i loved it.. but i ate it every day since march and now i want nothing to do with it.. So i eat some high in fiber cereal.. and on Sundays i have eggs! or pancakes.. i dont know how people dont eat breakfast.. its like my fave meal of the day!!!
2phatinvictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #4  
Proud Y Chromosome Member

S/C/G: 285/231/under 150 (normal BMI)

Height: 5'5"

Default The Short Answer: YES!

Yep, breakfast is a must for me. Nice protein smoothie with some added fruit. Yummy! I can't afford to skip meals/snacks. When I do, it plays havoc with my blood sugar.
diabetic z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:55 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 170/159/135

Height: 5'4"

Yes! A scrambled egg and cottage egg goes a long way to keep me satisfied.
I used to have oatmeal in the morning and found myself wanting a snack at 11:00; not so with the egg and cottage cheese. I can go right to lunch without a snack.

Sharon
artic123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:15 AM   #6  
Back in Action

S/C/G: 213/197/140

Height: 5'6"

Yes breakfast makes ALL the difference in the world to me. And like you, if I start my day out with carbs, I'm usually hungry all day, and watching the clock like a hawk waiting for the next feeding time. If I start my day with a well balanced breakfast that includes mostly protein and vegetables and a small amount of whole grain type carbs I'll never look at the clock once until lunch.

Last edited by Lori Bell; 05-05-2010 at 10:16 AM.
Lori Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:18 AM   #7  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I've never been able to eat regular cereal of any kind without starving within the half hour. Now I find I CAN eat steel cut oats (not even old-fashioned...gotta be STEEL) or Fiber One.

Depending on my lift days, I also add an egg.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #8  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

I definitely always eat protein with breakfast. If I don't I turn into a wild beast lol.

You can always hard boil eggs and eat one each morning with your breakfast- I've done that it's great. I also have a microwave egg poacher- 45 seconds gets me a hot egg. It's more hard boiled but it's fine when I just want a hot breakfast. I eat it with a sandwich thin and laughing cow wedge.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:56 AM   #9  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Yes, breakfast makes a big difference for me. I eat the same breakfast every morning, 3 servings of eggbeaters and 1 piece of whole wheat toast. For many months my breakfast was 2 servings of eggbeaters and 2 pieces of whole wheat toast. After so much talk here about low carb, I decided to drop one piece of toast and add one helping of the eggbeaters. I was equally satisfied on both breakfasts but I did start losing weight again after the change. Not sure that it is the reason though, the change dropped my calories and I also upped my exercise so I can not pin point anything as THE reason my weight starting moving again.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #10  
Token rooster

Height: 6'2

As I'm reading this, it is 11am and I'm starving! . Most days I eat the same breakfast (multigrain bagel with peanut butter). I eat this before I go to the gym and I find that the protein in the peanut butter and the fiber in the bagel helps a bit with hunger.

My day starts early as I eat my bagel around 5:45am and then I eat lunch around 11:30. After lunch, I'm definitely fine till dinner time later in the day. Lunch seems to be the only time I'm watching the clock to eat .
matt_H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:07 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 263/ticker/156

Height: 5'7"

I have hard boiled egg whites for my breakfast protein. I eat 2, sometimes 3, so I don't want to eat that many whole eggs (I also have a whole hardboiled egg in my lunch salad just about every day). I have the egg whites along with low fat nutrigrain waffles, mostly because they are easy to take to work and toast there, so it's nice to have a very easy grab and go breakfast!
PeanutsMom704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #12  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I need to eat breakfast and I need protein. Today (like Matt) was a small whole grain bagel with PB and a banana. That should hold me till 11:30. I do have room for a source yogurt cup in their as well for a mid morning snack.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:14 AM   #13  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Breakfast is SO important to me that I eat not one, but two breakfasts each day. Immediately after getting up at 6 am, and right before working out, I have 4 oz plain nonfat yogurt, 4 oz nonfat cottage cheese, and 4 oz blueberries, mixed up with some ground ginger. I also take some of my fish oil supplement, vitamin D, and calcium-magnesium.

Then I work out, which is usually half an hour to 45 minutes of strength training or biking.

Then I eat my second breakfast, which consists of chocolate milk (16 oz nonfat milk, 1.25 oz really good cocoa, some ground cinnamon, and 2 packets of sucralose), 2 microwave-scrambled or poached eggs, and 3 to 6 ounces of fruit such as mandarin oranges. (This morning I had some mandarins and a mango.)

I have to be extremely careful in the mornings to not set myself up for blood sugar swings during the course of the day, because I am very sensitive to having too much or the wrong kind of carbohydrate first thing. I need lots of protein, some good fats, and good carbs. And the two breakfasts surrounding my workout prevent reactive hypoglycemia.

After all that, I am fine until lunchtime.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #14  
Argh.

S/C/G: 308/273/175

Height: 5'9"

I'm also a dedicated breakfast eater - wouldn't be without it. Mine varies a little bit depending on how on-track everyone is getting started for the day. Sometimes it is an egg-beater omelet with veggies, sometimes BRM 5-grain cereal (basically oatmeal with several other good grains), or some kashi. Occasionally add berries to that. on the weekend it is most likely the same, although I love coddled eggs on toast and will have that, too.
calluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 11:37 AM   #15  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Ok.. so I ate that breakfast at 7, and posted this at 9:30. About 10:30, I wasn't hungry, but was shakey (hmm is this the sign of carb withdrawl?? No I'm not cutting carbs, just am seeing if I need to cut them in the morning). I ate 2 servings of frozen fruit (still frozen.. and was amazed at how good it was.. great idea for a snack there... I usually thaw it because I don't like to bite into frozen stuff). It's 11:30 and I'm ready for lunch.. not sure I'm hungry or if my brian is just sooo used to eating at this time of day that I feel like I'm hungry.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote