Old 04-20-2010, 08:54 PM   #1  
Philly Dancing Queen

S/C/G: 265/245/170

Height: 5 ft3

Cool The Mental Wackjob - Do You Get Angry When You Eat Healthy?

This is going to sound weird (I feel like a lot of my thoughts start this way) but sometimes when I'm planning my meals, I get really, really angry.

I know we're "supposed" to feel better when we eat healthy, but really, I don't like salad. I'm not a big fan of broccoli. I don't get cravings for apples. When I eat healthy I just feel.. unsatisfied.

I want frigging chicken fingers and fries. When I want something bad and I chose something healthy instead, sometimes I just get upset. It feels like I'm being punished.

My head recognizes that chicken fingers and fries aren't good for me. And yet... still, furious, beyond! I know! Crazy!

There are things I don't care about - desserts, mainly. But today I started really healthy - steel cut oatmeal with pears and dates. And then I was teaching from 9:30-5 straight and by the time I got home, I had chicken fingers and fries. Now I HAD salmon and asparagus in the fridge. Just thinking about eating it pissed me off.

Anyway, I know all of you just LOVE your frigging veggies and can't wait to exercise twice a day. You're leaping and skipping to the gym! But that's not me. It's a fight every damn minute. And I'm fighting myself.

OK, that is my wackjob posting.
toomuchmoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:07 PM   #2  

You are not alone. *hugs*
ShylahEQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #3  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I'm sorry but I just HAD to laugh at the last paragraph... do you HONESTLY think that every single person here LOVES to eat their veggies instead of chicken fingers and fries every single time? And skips to the gym? Yah... no.

I had chicken breast/quinoa and broccoli for dinner last night. What did I really want? Pizza. Gooey ooey pizza. I had my chicken/quinoa/broccoli. I wanted... pizza... see what I mean?

Did I WANT my two hour walk last night? nope. I wanted to sit my arse on the couch and watch blu-rays on my new flat screen tv... but I went. And walked and felt good... but I would have rather watched tv.

Sometimes you do the things that you have to do because to NOT TO DO THEM is far too detrimental to your health... mentally and physically.

Now on the subject of chicken fingers and fries. What about dipping chicken breast tenders in egg whites, whole wheat flour and spices/herbs and baking them in the oven? Then take some potato (sweet potato would be better but even white is okay) cut into fry shapes, toss in a bucket with lid a T of olive oil and herbs/spices. Bake on a cookie sheet.

So now... you have your chicken tenders and fries.

and do you know what I HAD tonight for dinner? Pizza.

A whole wheat pita spread with 2 T tomato sauce. topped with 1/2 cup chicken breast, 1/4 cup each onion, red pepper and mushrooms and 1/4 cup shredded mozza. Bake.

Ooey gooey pizza.

cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:33 PM   #4  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

ps. You are NOT a whackjob
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #5  
Jennifer

S/C/G: 248/231.4/150

Height: 5"1'

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmama View Post
I'm sorry but I just HAD to laugh at the last paragraph... do you HONESTLY think that every single person here LOVES to eat their veggies instead of chicken fingers and fries every single time? And skips to the gym? Yah... no.
AMEN!!!!

Yah....no.... I argue and fight with myself everyday, but it is a fight worth everything I got to give!

I second cfmama.... you are NOT a wackjob! you are perfectly normal!
bythenumbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #6  

Definitely not a wackjob. We can all relate. Its a fight for all of us every minute. and sometimes we lose that fight but we get right back in the ring. I get angry all the time at my salad and broccoli and carrots. but in the end it will be worth it. and trust me, i know we all drag ourselves to workout even when we would rather be doing something else. so just know that you are not alone

Last edited by ChunkySmoo; 04-20-2010 at 10:01 PM.
ChunkySmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:16 PM   #7  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I used to think I was crazy too. I thought I was an emotional basketcase.

I think I went into the field of psychology (earning a master's degree and almost went on for my doctorate) because I was hoping to understand and fix MYSELF.

I thought the diet-rage I felt was a symptom of some deep underlying psychological issues, and I spent more than three decades on (what I now believe was) a wild goose chase.

What I thought was mental, I know believe was mostly PHYSIOLOGICAL.

On a too-high carb diet, I am hungry all of the time. Crazy hungry. Full-to-bursting-and-still-hungry crazy hungry. The kind of hungry that I'd been told PROVED that I had emotional "issues."

It made sense, until I discovered that lower carb eating caused the hungry to disappear. If it had been caused by emotional "issues" it seems pretty unlikely to me that any diet could have fixed what counseling and therapy had not.

I'm just as convinced that my diet-rage often has a physiological component that is as strong or stronger than the strictly "emotional."

The reason I think so, is because I can largely prevent or at least shrink the rage, by taking a few precautions (during TOM, it's harder to control, so I'm guessing hormones play a role too).

If my blood sugar is low - or even if it just drops quickly (from eating something too high carb - which becaue of insulin resistance causes a sudden blood sugar spike followed by a sudden blood sugar drop), I get easily irritated and angry (and understatement). It's not just irritation and anger, it's an entirely insane rage (so bad during TOM, that hubby calls me "werewolf," if I'm not on the right birth control).

For me, I have to eat small, frequent meals or the rage becomes entirely overwhelming and I feel like I have two choices - eat off plan or HURT someone. It feels like my head is going to explode if I don't eat (carbs usually).

I'm getting better at recognizing the early stages of that irrational anger, and treating by eating. What I eat matters, so I try to pick something with a balanced proportions of fat, carbs and protein (because if it's too high in carbs, it will be just a short time before I have another spike).

My husband is actually better at recognizing the early signs than I am. He says when I start treating him like he's being a jerk, 9 times out of 10 it's a sign that I'm getting hungry (the other 1/10 of the time he's actually being a jerk).

I'm not saying this happens for everyone. But I do think that physiological causes for diet-rage should be explored BEFORE looking for mental ones. I wasted decades looking for a psychological problem that didn't exist.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:29 PM   #8  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChunkySmoo View Post
Its a fight for all of us every minute. and sometimes we lose that fight but we get right back in the ring. ...trust me, i know we all drag ourselves to workout even when we would rather be doing something else.
Well...no, I wouldn't say this represents me, at all. Most minutes I am not fighting against myself over food or physical activity. Probably at least 90% of the time, actually, I actively desire to eat healthy food, find it extremely tasty and satisfying, and want to engage in the types of physical activity that I enjoy.

As kaplods points out, there are very often physiological (rather than psychological) causes to extreme hunger, mood swings, food cravings, low energy, etc. Eating too many white/refined carbs WILL make a person crave even more white/refined carbs; this is established fact. For many of us here, including these things in our regular diets is very much like willingly taking poison.

I would not be able to do what I am doing if it was a fight all the time. A big key to my success has been to find ways to make it not a fight. There are ways, if you seek them.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:31 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Height: 5'4"

Obviously I love my salads. That's plainly why I weigh over 200 llbs. My FAT backside got that way eating salad and broccoli. The fact that I sat around and ate 3000-4000 calories a day while I did no exercise could not possibly have made me so stinkin' FAT. Must be all the exercise I love to do. It's so great to hurt like Hades everytime I have to do anything active.

Even worse than eating salad and forcing myself to exercise is being FAT. I CHOOSE to eat healthy food now and I CHOOSE to exercise because I do NOT want to stay FAT. You have a choice, too...and angry is irrelevant. You have to decide if you want to be FAT or keep doing something about it.

If you want to eat junk, then eat junk. Just realize that you can't have it both ways. Nobody can. I am angry too. At the part of me that just didn't nip this in the bud 90+ lbs ago.

Barb

Last edited by angelskeep; 04-20-2010 at 10:33 PM.
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:36 PM   #10  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by toomuchmoxie View Post
Anyway, I know all of you just LOVE your frigging veggies and can't wait to exercise twice a day. You're leaping and skipping to the gym! But that's not me. It's a fight every damn minute. And I'm fighting myself.

You are most definitely not alone in your feelings and you are not a wackjob!

I'm with cfmama - find healthier alternatives to some of your favorites that still allow you to eat better without feeling like you are being punished.

Focus on what's important in the long term, not want you want in the moment. Focus on your successes and have those help you through the times when you feel like saying 'screw it'. Also, find things that you love - both food and activity-wise - that fit your commitment to this better way of living.

Do I always follow that advice? No. But most times I do. And while some may disagree with me, I think it's OK to treat myself once in awhile. It helps me look at this as a long-term sustainable way of life rather than a short-term fix. I don't go crazy and binge eat like I used to, but on the weekend if we're out at a restaurant with friends and I want onion rings or to share a slice of cake or whathaveyou, and can fit it in calorically, then I do. And I don't regret it. And it helps me not feel angry and deprived the rest of the time.

Last edited by LitChick; 04-20-2010 at 10:40 PM.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 10:44 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 195/172.8/145

Height: 5'2

Oh I snickered when I read this post too. I would've laughed but then the kettle chips I was eating(all the while watching biggest loser I might add) might have went flying out my mouth and we can't have that can we....
As you can tell I am with you 100%. I am angry about eating stuff I don't want and its pretty clear by how I started this post I am not doing too well with my eating. Exercising when I don't want to. Watching people at work bring in fast food for lunch every flipping day. I am angry just in how my life has turned out so far. I DO NOT want to hear how people feel soooo much better after they exercise. I just consider THOSE people completely off their rocker!!!

But................as someone here has said before...........life is filled with doing things you don't want to do.....I don't always want to go to work, do dishes, do laundry, clean my house, and sometimes don't even want to take a shower but as adults its just what we have to do. So do it and at the end of the day and the end of your workout(my workout is at the end of the day and usually ends on the treadmill) stand at the end of your treadmill look at it, take position, and kick the damn thing!!!! And as you walk away say "yup I kicked your a@@ today buddy"
DisgruntledOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:13 PM   #12  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

OMG i love this post so much LOL it's honest and real and something I can relate to!! SOoooo often I've felt out of place on here, simply because I didn't want to 100% overhaul every food item in my life - and I didn't!!! I've lost 126 lbs (FRACKIN ****! WOOT!) and I did it MY way, which includes eating 'regular' food, but a lot less of it. The spoiled child in me wants a heaping plate of mashed potatoes and meatloaf, but no, i take one small slice and a scoop of spuds and some veg and I'm done with it. I knew fast food was killing me, it's even killing skinny people I honestly believe that, but I did not revamp every single meal in my life to be healthy. More often than not, yes, I do pick healthy stuff because I want more bang for my calorie buck. but it's just like paying bills - YES I want those new shoes, but too bad the mortgage payment is due. You gotta make a choice, sux but there it is. You don't have to love it, you just have to do it
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 11:58 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

You know what really makes me grumpy? Having to get up for work at 6:00 am. I want to SLEEP IN. I'd much rather just sleep in than go to work, even though my alarm is set.

Cleaning the cat box makes me grumpy, why do those furry purry beasts have to poop so much? And throw the litter over the side!

And don't even get me started about flossing or getting the oil changed in my car or paying bills. Grrrr. I'd RATHER spend that money on cute sandals or a massage or that adorable dress from Sundance. What would life be like if I came home and ordered that dress instead of paying the power bill, I mean, the money is in my account, it's right there, just like your healthy dinner was right there waiting for you!

Life isn't about getting what you want all the time. I have to go to work, I can't sleep in. I have to do errands and make dinner and clean the bathroom and crush all the stupid cans for stupid recycling.

It sounds like you don't really look forward to your "healthy" dinners, and frankly what you described for dinner does sound a bit on the blah side. My secret - I don't eat stuff I don't like. My dinners average around 500 calories (they are my biggest meal) because I want to look forward to dinner!

Some of my favorites:

3 blue corn crispy shells, spicy ground turkey (this is great because I can use the leftover for salads later in the week), a little low fat cheese, tons of salsa, tons of crisp lettuce - I looove taco night!

Home made pizza with a boboli whole wheat crust, a little spicy marinara, spinach leaves, sun dried tomato, roasted garlic, onions, a little low fat/fat free feta (I divide the pizza down the middle and make a "normal" version for my husband, works perfectly!)

Pork loin stir fry with tons of veggies (that I like! like carrots, baby corn, broccoli and no vegetables I don't like, like icky green peppers), over brown rice. I have this recipe with a yummy chicken broth, honey sauce. Love it!

Home made pasta sauce, I like my own pasta sauce better than any jarred and most restaurants. I use sun dried tomatoes and fresh basil. I measure the pasta 2 oz dry and it's so good! I like it with turkey meatballs.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:00 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Oh, here's my favorite salmon recipe - it's divine! I do look forward to it

Maple-glazed salmon

INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup maple syrup
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 pound salmon

DIRECTIONS
In a small bowl, mix the maple syrup, soy sauce, garlic, garlic salt, and pepper.
Place salmon in a shallow glass baking dish, and coat with the maple syrup mixture. Cover the dish, and marinate salmon in the refrigerator 30 minutes, turning once.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
Place the baking dish in the preheated oven, and bake salmon uncovered 20 minutes, or until easily flaked with a fork.

NUTRITION INFORMATION
Servings Per Recipe: 4
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 265
Total Fat: 12.4g
Cholesterol: 67mg
Sodium: 639mg
Total Carbs: 14.2g
Dietary Fiber: 0.1g
Protein: 23.1g
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:03 AM   #15  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Well, toomuchmoxie, it looks like you just started on this... maybe you only just started on 3FC, though. In any case, I think you'll find that the longer you stay with the healthier eating, the less appealing those junk foods will be. That's the good news, btw!

I'd say, work it out so you are eating foods you like--as Glory87 said. If you don't like lettuce salads, don't eat them. I once was on a "diet" that had me eating a lot of eggwhite omelets and turkey breast. I despise eggwhites. I couldn't wait to get off that diet. (Which shows just how much commitment I had!) And I don't like turkey to this day! Oh, and I should add that any weight I lost was right back on in a short time. But you figured that out, eh?

As for the anger--I dunno--did your parents give you food every time you acted out? It could be that the "child within" is throwing a tantrum because it always worked before and got her the goodies. You are just going to have to sit that kid down and tell her she can yell all she wants, but this is what's for dinner...

As for the exercise, yeah, we're all just skipping off to the gym... But that, too, gets better the longer you do it. Really.

Have confidence in what you're doing and stay with it. Things will change.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote