Old 03-28-2010, 05:07 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 270/238/175

Height: 5'9"

What a jerk! When I was looking for a PT, I interviewed them over the phone. I was BLUNT! I told them each "I don't want a size 2 cheerleader. I want someone that can stand up to my strong personality. I prefer not a man. (I can bulldoze over most men) Joann(my trainer) is a size 2 but she is tuff! She doesn't 'ask' me to do something. She TELLS me! Thats what I need tho. I pay $40. an hour for her. Sometimes I HATE HER. But I am getting results so its working.

Try someone else and tell them up front EXACTLY what YOU expect. Just whatever you do don't give up. YOU CAN DO IT!
mmiller2829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:09 PM   #17  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

I had an issue like this with my gym teacher in high school. I was already pretty overweight when I was in her class, and some days I just had a problem with my ankles hurting and etc. She would accuse me of being lazy, even though I worked my butt off more than anyone else in the class, and improved my mile from 22 minutes to 13. But because I couldn't do it in 7, she criticized me. I just think people have this idea that overweight people are just lazy and looking for an excuse to get out of any physical activity, where if you were thin and said, "Hey look, my ankle is really hurting today, I must have strained it, can I just do a light jog or walk today instead?" she would have been like, "Oh, okay, sure."

But, it was my fault to let something like that bother me. I'm pretty sensitive, yet still over all of these years I still get upset remembering it when I should just get over it already. But all this time it just furthers my fear of people thinking I'm lazy. Who cares what people think? I know, easier said than done, but honestly, if you're doing this for YOU, then it doesn't matter what they think. Someday you'll be all thin and prove them wrong As for me, I'll probably never see that gym teacher again, but I don't have to. It's all in the mind!
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 07:58 AM   #18  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Rakel, I have the same "laziness" issues, only mine don't stem from anything. I think it's just the cultural fact that the words "fat" and "lazy" are OFTEN paired. Therefore, if one is fat, one must be lazy too. I work harder than I lot of people I know! Most people who are fat do! Heck, it's four time harder for an obese person just to get out of the bed! Or tie their shoes. Or pick something up off the floor.

I love the PT I ended up with. I told him about my bad shoulder right off the bat and he has had the same injury, so he was really good about putting me through exercises to strengthen it but that wouldn't hurt it. He had my shoulder muscles burning and I was so afraid they would hurt the next day, but they did not. And I have been protecting those puppies for years!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 10:54 AM   #19  
To be fit and FLY....

Height: 5'6"

......and they wonder WHY some people won't go to the gym.....for EXACTLY the way he acted.

As you (or some of you know) me and my family joined one this week....thanksfully there are people of ALL SIZES there so I don't feel like I stick out like a sore thumb.

I just can't believe he was making so many judgements - I'm sorry you had to endure that.

Look for a new trainer and steer clear of him. sheesh!
Summerblue is offline   Reply With Quote