Old 02-01-2010, 10:37 AM   #31  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

I run around my ping-pong table with Wii fit. I jogged 11 minutes this morning and was pretty proud of myself! The only problem is it's not so good on the ankles because I'm constantly rounding a corner.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:41 AM   #32  
Shrinkin' Salsa :P

S/C/G: 127/122/72 (kg)

Height: 5'9"

Rawr! I got my not-so-sorry backside out of the house this morning and re-started c25k. Lord it was slippery!
salsa chip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:06 AM   #33  
Fighting The Binges

S/C/G: HW274/RW215?/GW137

Height: 5' 4"

I started running on the treadmill at the gym about 3 weeks ago I think.
I'm up to 2 x 1 mins runs with 1 min in between and then a 2min run at the end, 8.0km ph.
I should be increasing that now but by the end of the 2mins at the moment I feel like I'm going to die lol. Any advice anyone for extending my run somehow. I'm starting to get a bit upset with myself that I'll never be able to run longer than 2mins...
Loving Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:28 AM   #34  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Loving Me.. you will be able to run longer. It just takes time. Have patience. I find I can run longer outside. If the weather is nice for you.. try it.
Maybe for one workout slow down your run. Instead of 5mph do 4.5... but do 2.5 mins instead of 2.
Mix it up and keep running. Trust me - you will improve if you keep working at it!

I have a 5K tomorrow... what was I thinking? a 5K in Green Bay, WI in February??? right now it's snowing outside. I'm nuts!
Charbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #35  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by traci in training View Post
Can I just say - as someone who was never an athlete, never a runner - that running is empowering? Walking is fine. Eliptical is cool. Running is POWER. Even my slow-poor form-can only run one lap-getting passed by eight year olds-running is AMAZING! I swear your age goes down with each step you take. And it does hurt sometimes. But with time it hurts less. And your form gets better. And you go a little faster. And you feel even stronger. And pretty soon some of those years you leave behind when you run STAY behind when you stop. And I can't imagine how good it's going to be when I can run a MILE. I'll bet I won't feel a day over 30 on the day I first run a mile!
Traci, I could have written this post myself!!

That's exactly how I feel. EXACTLY! I *was* very athletic as a young person, but it had been at least 15 years since I'd even taken a running step. I used to constantly worry about needing to run to get to one of my kids if they fell or something. I just couldn't do it.

When I run now, and I've really just barely started, a couple months of just a little running here and there, and now I'm on C25K week three, but I feel SO YOUNG. It's amazing. I've never done anything that made me feel like that-- like I've just busted through a barrier and left my old tired lumbering self behind.

And I also feel it the rest of the time, when I'm walking around, my legs and my body feel so young and strong. It's just an amazing feeling!
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:31 AM   #36  
Half Marathoner!!!

S/C/G: A bunch/ticker/140

Height: 5'5''

Glad to see there are so many other runners out there!

I graduated the Couch to 5k program and ran 2 5k's and one 2.5 mile race and am completely addicted to races! Unfortunately, after my New Year's 5k I was told to stop running by my doctor because I'm having hip pain that we are trying to figure out and fix. It's driving me crazy not being able to run and worrying about losing all of my hard earned endurance! I've had an x ray and an mri and I have an appointment with an orthopedics doc to show him the results of the x ray and mri on the 22nd so It will be almost 2 months without running....makes me sad.
EveLHaelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #37  
Strong is the new Pretty!

S/C/G: 245/ticker/1??

Height: 5'2"

Loving Me - I don't know that it will work for you, but it's working for me, so I'll tell you about my plan. I am working on increasing the percentage of minutes I run. I started out at 5% (3 min. out of the 60 I was on the treadmill), I'm now at 11.7% (7 min. out of 60). Using the percentages I can still do the same thing if I don't have an entire hour to spend on the treadmill. Right now if I were going to be on it for 30 min. my "rules" would mean I have to run at least 3.5 of those min. I also spend some extra minutes at a jog and I work on adding to those at the same time. Right now I jog 12.5% (7.5 out of 60 min.). My running is still done 1 minute at a time and my jogging is done 1.5 min. at a time. I alternate which one I add - one session I will add a run, the next time I add a jog. In the last few weeks I have gone from 5% of my time being non-walking to 24.2% of the time being non-walking. I'm also gradually increasing the speed of my walking to make it easier to convert it over to jogging/running.

I hope that was helpful and not too confusing.
FitGirlyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 03:31 PM   #38  
Fighting The Binges

Thanks for the advice, it's all very helpful.
After my post I decided to have another look at the C25K program. As week 1 is 60sec runs and no more I decided to give it a go at the gym yesterday.
I ended up doing 26mins on the treadmill in total, 6mins brisk walking on different inclines to start with, then 20mins alternating 60sec running with 90sec walking, and I did it!!! So I ran for 8mins in total yesterday. I have NEVER felt such a buzz in my entire life that I can remember. I really couldn't believe that I'd actually run for 8mins total, so when I went to the gym today I really didn't think I could do it again. Well, I did, and because I lost count, I ended up doing another 60sec run so did 9mins in total!
I haven't felt this proud of myself in a very long time, if ever, so whatever it takes I'm going to keep going with the running. Looking further on in the C25K it seems very scary and impossible for me to even run 90secs several times right now, but I will do it. It may mean I have to repeat weeks, but I'll get there.
Old 02-05-2010, 03:54 PM   #39  
Not Giving Up!

S/C/G: 351/ticker/160

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by traci in training View Post
I want to be a runner but right now I interval and it's really jogging more than running. I was using a treadmill but DH says I "fight the belt" and that my form wasn't good and the impact was too high. So I've started running on the indoor track at the Y and that's going much better. I try to run a lap-walk a lap but after a mile I generally end up walking two and running one. It's all good - I run more and walk less all the time. My goal for February is to run two laps, walk one lap.
Can you elaborate on what he means by 'fight the belt'? I wonder if something similar is happening to me. I find it much easier to run outside than on the treadmill. My times on my outside runs are always better than inside.

I do love to run - well, jog, really - and have done a few 5Ks and am now in the process of training to run/walk (ideally a circuit of 5 minutes running with one minute walking) a half-marathon at the end of March. Last week part of my training included a 7-mile run/walk and I picked a particularly hilly course. Torture! This weekend I have to do 8 miles.
LitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 06:06 PM   #40  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving Me View Post
Thanks for the advice, it's all very helpful.
After my post I decided to have another look at the C25K program. As week 1 is 60sec runs and no more I decided to give it a go at the gym yesterday.
I ended up doing 26mins on the treadmill in total, 6mins brisk walking on different inclines to start with, then 20mins alternating 60sec running with 90sec walking, and I did it!!! So I ran for 8mins in total yesterday. I have NEVER felt such a buzz in my entire life that I can remember. I really couldn't believe that I'd actually run for 8mins total, so when I went to the gym today I really didn't think I could do it again. Well, I did, and because I lost count, I ended up doing another 60sec run so did 9mins in total!
I haven't felt this proud of myself in a very long time, if ever, so whatever it takes I'm going to keep going with the running. Looking further on in the C25K it seems very scary and impossible for me to even run 90secs several times right now, but I will do it. It may mean I have to repeat weeks, but I'll get there.
Loving me!! That is JUST SO AWESOME!!!

I was unbelievably ecstatic when I tried week one and realized I could do it...

In the beginning, I wasn't really following C25k because it was too much of a pain to track time and change the speed on my treadmill, so I changed to the indoor track at the Y and a C25K program on my ipod-- and voila.

The most incredible thing happened to me day before yesterday-- I had just completed week two and I wanted to do another week two because I was adding in an extra workout--but I accidentally set it to week three-- longer but fewer intervals. So when I got to COOL DOWN I thought I was in my last running interval, and I kept running...when I realized I'd run completed a week three day, and run even a little extra I was so elated!!!

There something about running that just really says "I'm doing this!"
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 07:59 PM   #41  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

Charbar - I would love to hear how it goes for you. I am considering doing one next Saturday. I live in Iowa and it's not much better here lol
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 08:22 AM   #42  
missjkd

S/C/G: 218/ticker/118

Height: 5'2"

I always found by running one 5k or 10k a month kept me in check. However since I have gained about 30 pounds since the fall my running has basically stopped. I am motivated again and I began running this week. I plan on doing a 5k St Paddy's Day race next month. I already registered to do the 10K in the Cleveland Marathon in May. My ultimate goal is to see how will I do on that 10k because I would love to register for the Akron Marathon (of course the half) in September. Running really melts the pounds and has so many great benefits.
missjkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 10:27 AM   #43  
Fighting The Binges

I am absolutely LOVING running. I am on Week 3 of the C25K and I haven't felt better in years, if ever.
This weight loss journey is so huge for me, but the exercise, fitness, and more important running is like nothing I've ever experienced. I get such a buzz from constantly pushing myself further and further and finding out just what my body can do. I wanted to start running so that I could still exercise when we are away etc, but I've already gained so much more than that...
Old 02-21-2010, 11:37 PM   #44  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

My 5K was COLD .. but was awesome! I took off over 5 min from my last 5K in December.
The past two days have been awesome! On Friday I finally reached a 10 min mile.. (yeah!!!) and on Saturday I did my longest run ever.... 4.25 miles... and I didn't stop to walk at all.
I loved it! Keep up with it! Running takes patience.. but is so worth it
Old 02-21-2010, 11:39 PM   #45  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loving Me View Post
I get such a buzz from constantly pushing myself further and further and finding out just what my body can do. ...
That's exactly why I do it! I can't express how much of a "high" I get from exercising. It makes everything easier.

I feel like if you are dieting and not exercising it would be like trying to drive a car with no gasoline.. sure you could push your car - but why would you?