Old 01-05-2010, 04:22 PM   #16  
Oh buddy, it's on!

brandi, that's definitely important - finding a gym you feel comfortable in. Good for you!
Katy05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 04:50 PM   #17  
Positive Focus

S/C/G: 225/ticker/125

Height: 5'1"

I remember back in the day when I worked at a gym known for it's commercials of toned people. Frequently I would see first-timers come in and look around as if they expected the gym to be like the commercial. It was soooo not like the commercial. As someone posted before, it's a reflection of your community's population. There are thin and fat people at the grocery store, Target, the movie theater, etc. So is the gym. In fact, from my experience there, I would say that a large majority of the people at the gym are newbies. The gym needs that financially because the newcomer's initial fees far outweigh the ongoing fees long term members pay. Kind of like at a WW meeting. There are always 5 or 6 women who have been there for years and accomplished thier goals, but the other 30 in the room are new and newer. The gym is a great place to meet people like yourself that want to learn new things - and find a workout buddy. Gabbing on the elliptical is always way more interesting than the TV show and makes the time fly! Have fun with it and enjoy your new escape place!
BeachBreeze2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:49 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I went at my highest weight ( 278 ) and while I did feel like I was going to be the "fat girl" ( and maybe I was ) by the time I got there I didn't care or notice. I put on my headphones and did my own thing. If ppl stared at me, I didn't see it. I'd venture to think most do the same thing I do. Do their own thing, and not worry about the other ppl there.

Trust me, once you start going and get those endorphines going, you'll want to keep coming back!!
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:50 PM   #19  
Focused on the Future

S/C/G: 237/132/137

Height: 5' 3"

Hopefully you can find it within yourself to go back and not let it get to you. You are making the effort and you have to start some where!
JustBeckyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 197/195/145

Height: 5'7"

Sometimes I feel a little self conscious at the gym too, but then I remember that I don't pay attention to any of the other people there (well, except for maybe a couple of cute guys :-p ) and that they aren't paying attention to me. Also, I just think- hey... I may be chunky but at least I'm at the gym trying to change that and not sitting at home on the couch (like usual!)
Sarby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 10:29 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 297/257/184

Height: 6'0"

UPDATE: I can't thank you guys enough! I did go to the gym yesterday. I felt great afterwards and very proud of myself for facing a fear that has (really) been around for over a year now. Everyone was very kind you all were right! I didn't feel judged, and instead of the picture I had painted in my mind (aka "muscle city" haha) it really was representative of my community. There were all types of people there. I actually am looking forward to going back today (I never thought I would say that!) because it was such a positive experience.

I do have to say that I have scanned through this website for years now, but ended up never joining thinking "oh something like that couldn't possibly help...I need to focus on what counts - exercise, diet, etc." What a great first experience with this community. You ABSOLUTELY helped me so much when I was in the gym yesterday evening. When I got nervous I frequently remembered all of the encouragement and words of advice I'd gotten from all of you and it inspired me...thanks!
brandijune44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:05 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 219/172/160

Height: 5' 4"

I am so happy for you. I was thinking of you last night. This morning I sat down at my computer as soon as I could hoping to see a post from you. You are doing great!
Helen ready to lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 297/257/184

Height: 6'0"

Helen - I can't tell you how much that means to know that someone was routing me on last night! Thank you so much!!!
brandijune44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 06:19 PM   #24  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

glad to hear it! tons of inspiring and informative stuff here.
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote