Old 01-05-2010, 07:50 AM   #16  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post
Funnily enough, I am not diabetic. You'd think I would be, considering all the women on my dad's side of the family are, but my blood sugars are always perfect, even at my high weight. I suspect PCOS or some sort of hidden thyroid issue, but I haven't pursued a diagnosis because I have friends with PCOS and the meds don't really make it much easier for them to lose weight. If I can't break this plateau I'll have to bite the bullet, though.
I have PCOS and in my opinion, knowing you have it only helps if you want to have an excuse. It's a dreadful thing to have, especially if you are trying to conceive. We lost a baby to PCOS. BUT, you're right, the meds really don't help and the often prescribed birth control pills only cover up symptoms, they don't really cure them. So as long as your sugar is under control, I wouldn't worry about knowing whether or not you have it. And they test for it by doing a fasting glucose anyway.

On the plateau side of things, just don't do what I did! I lost 30 lbs and then gave up and gained it all back! I still keep asking myself why, why, why did I do that? Keep going! Stay strong! Maintain. You obviously know from experience that this can last a while.
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:50 AM   #17  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post
I'm always amazed by the people who say they are compacting, or whatever it is that you do that makes you feel smaller even though you haven't actually dropped pounds.

I NEVER see any change unless I drop pounds.
In my experience, weight training helps a lot with this. Not even just traditional lifting, but weight-bearing exercise as well. You swim a lot, I know, and that's a first-class calorie burner, but it's non-weight-bearing so you're not building the big muscles in your legs and core the way you do when you're running or doing Pilates or the elliptical or whatever. If you add in some weight-bearing or lifting, you might see that 'tightening up' people talk about.

I've certainly tightened up a lot in the past three years, though not nearly as much as I'd like, and I thought I'd see more dramatic results with this current program I'm following. I have smoothed out a little in the back (the love handles region), but other than that there's not much happening. Maybe because I was already lifting for a long time before I started P90X.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle98272 View Post
This is coming from the 266 pound woman mind you so please do not let me offend! Maybe your body likes 150? My doctor asked me lately when I asked her what my reasonable goal weight would be, "What is the weight your body went to naturally before you started to diet?" Mine was 175lbs. Definitely "fat" by the BMI but it seemed easy to stick at. (of course I was 22 years old!)
No, I think you're right, my body is enjoying 155 very much! Trouble is I'm 5 feet tall, and 155 does not look so hot on me. So my body will not win this war! LOL Also, my doctor told me she'd like to see me hit 115. That's not only less than my goal, but on her scale that's five pounds less than on my scale, which means I'd have to aim for 110 at home to please her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
I have PCOS and in my opinion, knowing you have it only helps if you want to have an excuse. It's a dreadful thing to have, especially if you are trying to conceive. We lost a baby to PCOS. BUT, you're right, the meds really don't help and the often prescribed birth control pills only cover up symptoms, they don't really cure them. So as long as your sugar is under control, I wouldn't worry about knowing whether or not you have it. And they test for it by doing a fasting glucose anyway.
I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles with conception. I am reassured by what you say about the effects of the meds, though. I just watch my friends yo-yo up and down weight-wise and use the PCOS as an excuse, and I don't want to fall into that trap.

The good news about your loss and re-gain is that you know you can do it because you've already lost it once. And honestly, if I haven't given up in disgust yet, anyone can hang in there. It's really worth it, even if I never lose another pound. I feel awesome.

Last edited by thistoo; 01-05-2010 at 12:33 PM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 08:58 AM   #18  
Calorie counter

Height: 5'4.5"

Sorry, didn't mean to be a downer! LOL! Yes, we lost a baby, but we have two beautiful boys and I'm so blessed to have them. I only threw it in there so as to sound a little less callous about PCOS. Yes, it's a horrible thing and some women suffer terribly from it. I just know I used it as an excuse for not being able to lose this weight and I'm so over it!
Eliana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #19  
Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckymommy View Post
I'm in the middle of a plateau right now, but not for as long as you're experiencing. My heart really goes out to you. Your workouts sound intense. I was wondering if you've tried calorie cycling? You can Google it and a lot of people have good results with this, as long as it doesn't trigger binge eating in them. I think it's a good way of shocking the body and it sounds like your body might respond to a little shock. I'm completely brain storming, but do you think that since you're not running anymore, that has slowed things down? Also, I find that I burn about 1,000 calories at the gym, but that really doesn't make a difference which makes me think that all those numbers are wrong. It doesn't matter because I don't tap into those calories with my food, and it sound like you don't either. My question is: do you still keep active the rest of the day?
I have tried calorie cycling, yes. It's a great concept that just didn't work for me. I think it might have been that I let myself get a little too crazy on my high days, and my low days were a real struggle. But whatever the reason, it just didn't work out. I know it works really well for other people, though, so it's a great suggestion.

I'm wearing a heart rate monitor these days that tells me my calories burned according to my heart rate, and it seems more or less accurate. Certainly more accurate than the machines at the gym. I definitely don't eat those calories back (I never understood that concept anyway!) so it's part of my overall deficit. Basically my BMR is 2400-ish, I burn around 1000 a day, and I eat 1800. So I have a 500-600 calorie deficit, plus my exercise. (I don't work out twice every day, but I try to work out 90 minutes at least most days.)

I do wonder sometimes if lack of running is part of my problem. The cardio I'm doing now (Beachbody's Insanity program) gets my heart rate up to 170-180, which is my max, and that's what running does for me. So I figure it's comparable, and maybe the key to getting the scale to move again. I just have such a love-hate relationship with running; I love that it helps me lose, but I HATE doing it. If it's all that works, I'll go back to it faithfully, but I have osteoarthritis in my knee and I'm worried I'm going to blow it out one of these days. Not a valid excuse!

As far as activity during the day goes, I'm a librarian, so that does mean a lot of desk work. I walk half a mile each way from my car to work and back, so that's a little extra activity. I try to get up at least once an hour, whether it's just to run up two flights of steps to the restroom (my rule is 'never use the public restroom', so I always have to go up or down two flights to pee, which I do approximately a million times a day!), go across the street for a cup of coffee, or just wander aimlessly around the building. Some of my job is physical as well; we're working on a big weeding project right now, so I spend time standing in the stacks pulling dusty old books off the shelves and seeing how often they get checked out. That involves a lot of pushing/pulling of carts and going up and down stairs, too.

Quote:
Finally, are you (pardon the question) going to the bathroom properly? I hate to ask this question, but it's important. Even if people go every day, they might not be doing enough, so that can make things worse too. I thought I'd just mention it.
This is actually something I have trouble with on a regular basis! I mentioned it to my GP and she said, and I quote, "Eat more fiber." Thanks, Doc! Seriously, though, I try to fit in that much fiber, but it's tough. Beans are pretty much out since they're so high carb, and she has no other helpful suggestions. It's all a balancing act, but that certainly contributes to my problem, yes.

Last edited by thistoo; 01-05-2010 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #20  
Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eliana View Post
Sorry, didn't mean to be a downer! LOL! Yes, we lost a baby, but we have two beautiful boys and I'm so blessed to have them. I only threw it in there so as to sound a little less callous about PCOS. Yes, it's a horrible thing and some women suffer terribly from it. I just know I used it as an excuse for not being able to lose this weight and I'm so over it!
Oh, no, you weren't being a downer! I just know what my sister went through trying to conceive (she adopted two gorgeous brats last year) and I know the heartbreak that goes along with it. She has pretty severe endometriosis, though she's carb-sensitive like me as well so I wonder if that contributed.

I'm glad you're over it! It's a miserable struggle for sure, but it's not insurmountable. Thanks for reminding me of that.
Old 01-05-2010, 09:32 AM   #21  
since 10/23/07

S/C/G: 286/ticker/136

Height: 5'5"

About every 30 pounds I go through a horrible plateau. I've noticed it happens with changes in exercise,,,such as going from a heavy cardio routine to a heavy weight routine.

One way I've found to break the nightmare is to change the balance of my foods or add in foods I normally don't eat and remove food I normally do eat. My last plateau was horrible. I upped the exercise, ate less...couldn't break it. I used to eat a chicken sandwich for lunch everyday. I switched up to a veggie soup with a grilled cheese sandwich. I added more squashes to my diet and removed pasta...I use spaghetti squash whenever I make a dish with noodles. I removed rice and added quinoa. These diet changes got me moving again.

It's frustrating though

Last edited by jay41; 01-05-2010 at 09:40 AM.
jay41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:51 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 297/198/190

Height: 5'8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post
In my experience, weight training helps a lot with this. Not even just traditional lifting, but weight-bearing exercise as well. You swim a lot, I know, and that's a first-class calorie burner, but it's non-weight-bearing so you're not building the big muscles in your legs and core the way you do when you're running or doing Pilates or the elliptical or whatever. If you add in some weight-bearing or lifting, you might see that 'tightening up' people talk about.
I am really looking forward to starting weight training. I've been playing phone tag with the trainer since before the holidays-- I hope that's not a bad sign. I signed up through my local Y and I'm thinking it's only taking this long because of the holidays...we have a tentative date for tomorrow and I'm really excited....

I should say that I am WAY fitter, more muscular, whatever, than I was when I started. When I started, I was having trouble with stuff like getting up off the sofa!! What is ironic is that I'm really more of the athletic type-- I was a competitive athlete as a young person. I'm fairly well coordinated and I used to play a lot of sports, but sadly, I gave them up one by one as I got heavy until I only walked, and even then, it was so sporadic that I got really fatigued on hills and stuff. What's driving me crazy is my 40" waist. I keep measuring even while I'm stuck at 230 thinking maybe all the running and swimming will help, but so far not.

What is the heart rate monitor that tells you about calories burned? Are you talking about a POLAR monitor type thing? I have one that connects to my treadmill, so I can see target HR... I have a problem with running that toward the end of the workout my HR started to go above my target HR. I'm not sure how much of a problem that is.

I have to say that returning to exercise has been BY FAR the best part of weight loss-- better even than wearing smaller clothes and looking better. Not only do I feel better, but it gives me an outlet for my stress that feels much better than my former carb fests.

Plus, I forgot to mention the good news-- I'm back down to 228 this morning!!!!!!

Last edited by ubergirl; 01-05-2010 at 09:52 AM.
ubergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:40 AM   #23  
Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post
What is the heart rate monitor that tells you about calories burned? Are you talking about a POLAR monitor type thing? I have one that connects to my treadmill, so I can see target HR... I have a problem with running that toward the end of the workout my HR started to go above my target HR. I'm not sure how much of a problem that is.

I have to say that returning to exercise has been BY FAR the best part of weight loss-- better even than wearing smaller clothes and looking better. Not only do I feel better, but it gives me an outlet for my stress that feels much better than my former carb fests.

Plus, I forgot to mention the good news-- I'm back down to 228 this morning!!!!!!
Hey, congratulations on 228! That is awesome news.

I use the Timex T5G971 Heart Rate Monitor because it's affordable and it counts calories burned. So far it's worked really well for me, at a much lower cost than the Polar monitors that a lot of people recommend (though I'm sure those are fantastic, I just couldn't afford one.)

It's the chest strap/watch combo type HRM, which isn't always super-comfortable, but you get used to it.

Unlike yourself, I've never been an athlete, so this is all new territory for me. I am SO enjoying my fitness, I have to say. I mean, good gravy, I have a pull-up bar hanging in my house. I can't actually *do* a pull-up yet, but I'll get there, by God. Of course, a year ago I would have laughed in the face of anyone who suggested I'd someday be considering running a 10-mile race, so I guess anything's possible.

I wonder if your personal trainer is so busy because it's the new year and they're drowning in requests from the resolutioners. Soon enough those people will give up and you'll get much more attention, I'm sure. I hope your appointment for tomorrow stands, though. I used to hate weight training, but now I really look forward to it. Well. I enjoy it once it's done, anyway.
Old 01-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 97.2 kg / 88 kg / 60 kg

Height: 160cm

The only thing I could guess is that your calorie deficit is far to high.
If your burning 1000 calories per day plus a deficit through food thats huge.

Normally its not recommended to have a deficit of more than 1000 calories per day.

I would suggest eating back some of your exercise calories.

Going as low as 1300 and exercising off 1000 gives you a nett calorie intake of 300.

I hope you find whatever you need to make it through your plateau.. but i think more food might be the trick.
simplebutterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:43 AM   #25  
Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplebutterfly View Post
The only thing I could guess is that your calorie deficit is far to high.
If your burning 1000 calories per day plus a deficit through food thats huge.

Normally its not recommended to have a deficit of more than 1000 calories per day.

I would suggest eating back some of your exercise calories.

Going as low as 1300 and exercising off 1000 gives you a nett calorie intake of 300.

I hope you find whatever you need to make it through your plateau.. but i think more food might be the trick.
Of course you're totally right, and it's absolutely logical. It's just TERRIFYING to go up so much in calories! But I'm sticking with it and I think it might just be the answer. (Fingers crossed. Time will tell!)
Old 01-05-2010, 10:44 AM   #26  
Really maintaining now!

S/C/G: 375.6/low 160s maintaining

Height: 6'

ubergirl, really, hang in there. I'm currently about fifteen pounds lighter than you, and much of those last fifteen pounds have come off my waist, dropping me from about 39" to just over 36". I've lost in my waist all along, but not as dramatically as I have in other places. I'm middle-aged, and probably getting perimenopausal, so I have some issues in that area, and was truly feeling kind of hopeless about it, but sure enough, my waist is catching up, if not as quickly as I'd have liked.
catherinef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 11:17 AM   #27  
Finally Losing Myself

S/C/G: SW 278/ CW see ticker/ GW 150

Height: 5'5

I am plateau-ville myself and I do not understand it. The numbers are not budging are getting me down in spirits not in weight. I started a Bootcamp program 3 weeks ago that is kicking my a$$ and still no drop! This week I decided to do cardio on the treadmill on my off Bootcamp days, I guess I put alot of faith that the change with Bootcamp would blast my plateaus and it isn't YET.
You are a inspiration that you kept plugging along thru a year long stall. Thank you for posting about this I am going to be watching you closely for tips as you figure out how to overcome this. I love your dedication!
Nikki6kidsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 12:03 PM   #28  
Caroline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki6kidsmom View Post
I am plateau-ville myself and I do not understand it. The numbers are not budging are getting me down in spirits not in weight. I started a Bootcamp program 3 weeks ago that is kicking my a$$ and still no drop! This week I decided to do cardio on the treadmill on my off Bootcamp days, I guess I put alot of faith that the change with Bootcamp would blast my plateaus and it isn't YET.
Oh, plateaus. They are honestly the bane of my existence. I am wondering, however, if your new level of exercise means you're not taking in enough calories? You might need to up them a little and see what happens. Didn't work for me, granted, but it has worked very well for other people in the past.

I've been doing Insanity and P90X simultaneously, which is a LOT of exercise, and it's great to feel stronger, but I haven't lost any size at all. Are you measuring? You are probably packing on muscle like crazy, which is part of my problem, I'm sure.

I imagine your plateau will break pretty soon (my body is especially stubborn because I'm so carb-intolerant; most people don't have the same problem) but it's tough to be patient in the meantime. Hang in there! You are doing an amazing job.
Old 01-21-2010, 01:22 PM   #29  
Diet Started: 1/4/10

S/C/G: 164/ticker/99

I don't have any advice, persay, but as a fellow 5'0"-girl, I wish you so much luck and success, thistoo! We shorties gotta stick together. I really hope you're able to smash this plateaus, and make it to your goal!
Wild Vulpix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 10:10 PM   #30  

I definitely feel the pain. I got into One-derland at the end of the 1st week of October by the start of the second week of November I was at 190 and have been hovering there ever since even though I am currently training for a half-marathon and run an average of 15-20 miles a week. I count calories and stay between 1400-1600 daily. I focus more on my weekly calorie intake than my daily intake but still NOTHING! It's frustrating to be able to run 8 miles non-stop and not be able to move the freaking scale! Admittedly, I have not been doing any sort of strength training in the last four months or so. I purchased Jillian's No More Trouble Zones and plan to do it twice a week and maintain my runs on the other four days. I HOPE to return by the end of the month and finally be out of the 190s. I am just SO sick and tired of having to lose weight, I just want to get to maintenance already. Although I do enjoy working out, I am frustrated at feeling like it isn't accomplishing my ultimate goal which is to be at a certain weight. ARRRRRRRRRRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... ..
Deana is offline   Reply With Quote