Closed Thread

Old 08-05-2002, 12:03 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 325 / see ticker / 150

Height: 5'4"

Default Question for those that exercise....

How on earth do you exercise when it is very hot and humid out? I don't have an air conditioner(only fans), and our main living area(where we spend most of our day and where I would exercise) is on the second floor(not ground level).

How do you motivate yourself to get up and move that booty when if all you do is sweat just sitting and not doing anything?

I myself sweat a lot just changing my son's diaper when it is hot and humid. It just drips right off my face and I feel like I am soaked in sweat. It is just so darn uncomfortable feeling. How do you get passed that and push yourself to exercise anyhow.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:32 PM   #2  

Jen:
Power walking through an air conditioned mall is a good way!
I find motivation by enjoying the way I feel and move so much
better.
I find this heat brutal as well. We live in Toronto and our summer
has been disgusting.
Anne.
Old 08-05-2002, 12:43 PM   #3  

You could also try walking outside in the evening or early morning, before it gets to hot. My girls and I like to walk just befor sun set. I can usually get a mile in before the sun goes down to far.

Bella23
Old 08-05-2002, 01:32 PM   #4  

I agree with Bella, I try to get my hiney moving first thing in the morning before it gets hot and humid out.

Kim
336/???/170
Old 08-05-2002, 02:00 PM   #5  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Go swimming!!
Plus getting into a swimming suit is a great motivator.

today my exercise will be mowing the lawn - an actual favourite thing for me to do.

Jen.. I have lost 25 lbs so far.. up until this year I used to sweat something terrible in the summer. I hated hot weather. This is the first summer where I am starting to really enjoy the weather. It's not effecting me the way it used to - something to look forward to

Dana
Old 08-05-2002, 03:04 PM   #6  

It's hard for me to motivate myself to exercise, but I just literally FORCE myself to do it. The HOT & HUMID weather we've been having isn't helping, but I've still been trying to get in a minimum of 15 minutes of exercise each day. If I'm going to walk outside, I only do it just before sunset. It makes it so much easier to do it when the sun isn't beating down on you! The tip of walking in an air conditioned mall is also a great idea if you have one close by. Another thing I do, if I'm getting bored with walking, is just step up and down our front steps for 15 minutes or so in the evenings. I've found that just changing my routine around frequently really helps keep me motivated & prevents burnout. Swimming would be another possibility (although not for me as I wouldn't be caught dead in a swimsuit yet! )

Good Luck! I hope you can find an exercise routine that you like (I'm still searching for mine!) & the weather will cool off SOON!

Dana - I've noticed the heat isn't bothering me as much this summer, either. It's nice
Old 08-05-2002, 03:36 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 325 / see ticker / 150

Height: 5'4"

Those are great suggestions, just big problems for me. I don't know if my daughter(5yrs old) could walk a mile, and I don't know if I could stand to bring her with me(which I have no choice about) as she complains about it.

The mall thing is out as again I have to bring my kids and all I hear is whine and complain, plus there's too many people there.

Swimming, I don't have anywhere to swim. I don't have a pool nor the money to go to a public pool that often, plus me in a bathing suit.. that's just not!!!

I really would like to start up with my Richard Simmons tapes, so I guess I will just have to 'sweat' it out eh...

Also I don't remember sweating like this when I was a teen and then I was a lot more active than now...and I mean a lot more active.

Thanx,
Old 08-05-2002, 04:35 PM   #8  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

up an dearly is the best way to do it. try pilaties if you cang et your hands on them they are suppoed to be great. what about the oxycise??
Old 08-05-2002, 04:39 PM   #9  
1/2 Marathon May 15 2011

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'0"

Jen.. can you walk at the mall first thing in the morning? before your husband goes to work? that is when all the mall walkers are there.

Can you join a babysitting co-op? I belong to one here and babysitting is free - in turn you also have to sit - this is great fun for your kids.
Old 08-06-2002, 11:03 AM   #10  

A babysitting co-op would be great for you, is there MOMs club or something in the area, most of them have babysitting co-ops.
I know that bringing the kids with you can be a huge pain, but I have found that even though they complain about it at first, they actually enjoy walking through the mall with me. It becomes fun, because I let them walk through the toy stores (for things to ask Santa for) and the pet store. We also make a scavenger hunt out of it, looking for people in a red shirt, or a pair of green pants in a store window. It is a great way to get out of the heat and here in Phoenix it sure can be HOT.
We also play in the sprinklers in the back yard. I find that the kids love to run through them with Mommy and I don't have to worry about who sees me in the suit, because I'm in my own backyard. It may not be true exercise, but I find that I really can get my heart rate up by running with the kids.
Hope that these ideas help! Good luck!
Old 08-06-2002, 12:43 PM   #11  

Well, I could sit here and give you a few tips or advice..but that would just be a big bag of poopie am givin you. I am the worst in the world exerciser when it's hot and humid out. I can barely stand to even walk to my car or go get my mail when it's like this. NY humidity is horrible. So, I will just not respond since I need some motivation too! LMAO...hahahaha

Old 08-06-2002, 05:00 PM   #12  
Jen

Height: 5'3"

I'm with Jenniffer, I just don't exercise when the humidex is up around 40C. It is even too hot to go outside to get into the car to go to the mall. When you come out of the nice cool mall back out into all that heat it is just too much.

The best suggestion I can give is to get up super early when it is still relatively cool and go for a walk. Can you get up like at 5 am or so and walk while the kids are still sleeping? Maybe you can catch a nap later on in the day if they have a nap too. I was going out at about 7 am on those days when it was hitting 40C in the afternoon and sometimes it was already too hot!

Hey, soon it will be fall and that nasty weather will be gone and we'll all be inspired to exercise like mad.
Old 08-06-2002, 05:01 PM   #13  

Try exercising at the coolest part of the day... early morning, or late at night (less people around outside at those times also, if you are feeling self-conscious). Good luck!

Karen
260.5/168.5/140
Old 08-06-2002, 09:46 PM   #14  
Old Cackler

bike ridiing with a child seat?

not sure...

i walk at about 6:30 am on these icky days. the ozone really bothers me [asthma], so i can't walk at night after sunset because the ozone levels actually peak just then.

keep us posted!!!! i always need good ideas.
Closed Thread