Old 11-02-2009, 05:50 AM   #16  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Hey there TraceyElaine.... You still there? Have you had a chance to read the responses? Any thoughts? How've you been doing?
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:46 AM   #17  
Kae
. * . * . * . * . * . * .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
But the thing is, upon giving up the sugar/carb/fat laden foods, my tastes CHANGED. I did detox from those other foods, which woke up my taste buds to the deliciousness of wholesome, nutritious foods. I now crave foods that actually benefit my body.
I have experienced this too... The cravings for junk do subside AFTER you go through that detox period. That's not to say they are completely gone... like anyone who is addicted to something, it does stick in the back of your mind... but it doesn't control me anymore. I can't enjoy it as much... it's not worth it. And quite frankly, some of the junk I used to love so much just doesn't taste as good to me anymore. White bread, for instance, just tastes like flour to me... I've adapted to whole grains. And sugary candy actually can taste too sweet to me now... it gives me a headache. And super fatty foods make me feel sick to my stomach and tired...

You can do this. You just need to cut the junk completely to allow your body to adjust.
Kae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 09:56 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 275H/148/165ish

Height: 5'10-5'11

TraceyElaine,
Thanks for starting this thread. I too am a binger. Most of the time on the weekends. By you starting this thread and all the other ladies inputting their advise, it started my wheels churning...... so I went to the bookstore this weekend and found a pretty good read. It is "Take It Off and Keep It Off" it has a lot of OA members that share what works for them. Just as people have pointed out above..... like an alcoholic it is better to not have that "one drink"..... this is my relationship with food. When I have that one ______ that is loaded with sugar...... all of the very hard work I have done all week with staying on plan has gone out the window. BUT, if I don't take that one bite.... I am fine. So, for me doing without completely is the only way to go..... I do agree that some do have what it takes to eat whatever in moderation, but for me..... it is NONE AT ALL.

In this book, there is something that is stuck in my head.... it is an acronym K.I.S.S which stands for Keep It Simple Stupid.... which is not "nice", but it works for me. Just simplify your plan and make it work for you......

I wish you the best..... and if you need a binge buddy.... PM me.

Thanks for everyone else's input..... it has been great!
ladyrider72472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:26 AM   #19  
nirvikalpa samadhi

S/C/G: 369.5/ticker/169.5

Height: 5'8"

Carb addict. Not that I wanted to, but I was addicted. Moderation does not work for me, only avoidance. Like Robin, those foods are completely off-limits for me. Carrots cause me to crave carbs just as badly as carrot cake. It's a physical addiction. I definitely sympathize.
DCHound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #20  

Height: 5' 8" on a good day

Complete and total addict here
I'm so thankful for this thread - it's been a shot in the arm.

I've been struggling since about the 4th of July and am in the process of accepting that there are certain foods I can't EVER eat again.
I'm actually nervous, angry & grieving a little over that fact.

For the last 9 years I keep gaining & losing the same 25 - 30 lbs.
What happens to me is that I manage to get on track for a couple of months then something always comes along (usually a holiday), and then I get back into the binging cycle & gain all my loses back.
Today is the first day of trying again

Last edited by susiemartin; 11-02-2009 at 10:47 AM.
susiemartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 11:35 PM   #21  
is recommitted

S/C/G: 338/see sig/150

Height: 5'6"

"Every day is a start over day"

Man, I hear you loud and clear. And you know what? I'm learning to embrace the fact that I am NOT perfect, and that slip ups will happen. Maybe you eat a cupcake, but you can say to yourself, "Ok, that was a mistake, but I won't let it ruin the rest of my day" - pick yourself up, and forgo the takeout and additional cupcakes.

I know it's hard, and it's something I still struggle with... like RockinRobin said, the best option might be cold turkey. I'm not sure I can trust myself with one bite, one little bit... we are like addicts. I've known this for awhile, and that's what makes it so hard to change.

But the good news is that we CAN do it. So hang in there and keep trying, even if you have to start over a thousand times. We are all there with you.
rakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 06:09 AM   #22  
3 + years maintaining

It is a hard pill to swallow, that's for sure. Which is why it probably took me 20+ years to make the change. I resisted it and resisted it. I had heard that that was the way to go. Get rid of the sugar, flour-y, carb-y stuff. And I figured that I'm doomed. doomed. Because I could *never* live without that stuff. Well after getting sick and tired enough, after trying the moderation route time and time and time again with no progress being made, with just getting bigger and bigger and more and more miserable, it was time. I couldn't go on the way that I was. SOMETHING had to change. I could no longer live WITH that stuff in my life. The price was just too high to pay.

Upon giving it up, very strict in the beginning, I can tell you that it WAS the right decision. "They" were right. After a difficult period, not even two weeks, it then became, dare I say, almost easy. There, I said it. I am telling you that once you do do it, you will wonder why you didn't do it sooner.

So yes, if you have to start a thousand times, well then do so. But I urge you to start now and continue. Make peace with it. Is your life really worth some "food"? Is it? Make this "the" time. There is no time like right now. I wasted sooooo many years. I LOVE my life now. Love. Love. LOVE IT. I would never, ever go back to my old life. Not for a billion dollars. Why would I? Eating those foods never, ever provided me with happiness. Not the food itself and not what it produced. A miserable, under productive, lethargic, mope-y, poorly dressed, inactive, sad, unhealthy, in pain, constant heartburn, underutilized person.

It is no deprivation to be without these foods. The deprivation is eating them and remaining morbidly obese and settling for an inferior quality of life. And most likely a shorter one. Don't dread these changes. Look forward to them. Embrace them. Get excited about them. Because you will transform your life. Discover who you were meant to be. Today. Because you can tomorrow away your life. Don't waste another precious second settling for second best. Not when first is well within your reach.

I feel badly that TraceyElaine has not popped back in, but it appears that others have found this thread beneficial. I know I have.
Old 11-03-2009, 06:49 AM   #23  
Jennifer

S/C/G: 250/250/135

Height: 5'3"

Default rockin robin

Wow..you really don't eat carbs or flour? That's amazing! I couldn't imagine..how long has it been?
jenichip1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:08 AM   #24  

S/C/G: 204/195/148

Height: 5'5

I read everyone's post here you guys really made me think and reflect on myself thank you!
cheerios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 07:20 AM   #25  

Height: 5ft6'

So the very night I posted this I ate copious amounts of chips and chocolate. It was, after all, Halloween. For the last 3 days I have been exercising like before and eating spot on. It has beeen a torturous few days. Last night I had a bad "i want something" moment and so I popped one of those little 1 square Caramilk bars. I put it in my mouth and let it sit there a moment. And it dawned on me. I don't even like these bars. And in 5 min I will still "want something". So I spit it in the compost bin and toughed it out. I even cried a little.

So I am doing this. Again. I am still not over that rough patch. I hope that after a week or so of being spot on with my plan I will start to feel like it's more habbit and less torture lol. I know it will come. I was there not long ago. I was to the point where I craved healthier things. And I'll be there again.

For now I am trying to keep busy because I am a big "i'm bored" eater. So my house will be imaculate by weeks end lol. I am thinking about picking up a hobby. I am very artsy fartsy. I find that if i am doing something creative the whole world melts away. And it's been a long time since i have done anything creative. I always think i dont have time. But I need to give myself that time. I need to do all of this for me. And all others will benefit as a result.

Alot of soul searching going on for me. That's part of the process I guess. For me anyway. I always ate to fill some empty spot. I was bored or sad or tired or angry. When i "wanted somthing" it was never food. But food is what made the feeling subside. It's hard to be sad or bored in a food coma. It's also hard to be happy in one.

So the trudge continues and enlightment goes on. You guys are great. It makes such a huge difference to know you aren't alone. ♥

p.s. Robin you inspire the heck out of me and i love your no nonsense advice!

Last edited by TraceyElaine; 11-03-2009 at 07:27 AM.
TraceyElaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:42 AM   #26  
3 + years maintaining

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHound View Post
Carb addict. Not that I wanted to, but I was addicted. Moderation does not work for me, only avoidance. Like Robin, those foods are completely off-limits for me. Carrots cause me to crave carbs just as badly as carrot cake. It's a physical addiction. I definitely sympathize.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenichip1 View Post
Wow..you really don't eat carbs or flour? That's amazing! I couldn't imagine..how long has it been?
Oh I eat tons of carbs. Just the healthy, unrefined ones that are found in veggies and fruits. In the months that I was losing, I did away with all added sugars and flour, rice, pasta, etc, with the exception of Fiber One cereal. I probably did have a few added and planned items further along into my journey, but I can't recall exactly when. I did go cold turkey though. Now that I'm in maintenance I do have an occasional sugar/flour-y item - in a controlled setting. But there are people stricter then me. Like DCHound.

Is it amazing? Well not really. Once you DECIDE to do it and really, really stick with it, it becomes kinda simple! And freeing. And life transforming. What IS amazing - the results. What is it they say, in order to achieve extraordinary results, you've got to use extraordinary measures. And really, again, once you're into it, it's NOT that big a deal. And whatever "hard" it is, which again, is not all that hard when you become accustomed to it, is a waaaaaay less hard then that of the hard of being morbidly obese. THAT was hard. Really, really hard. All day. Every day.

I have a condition - compulsive overeating which leads to obesity, which leads to a lower quality of life and very often an early death. That is the harsh reality of my condition. Fortunately, with careful monitoring it can be managed. So that's what I do - manage my debilitating and deadly condition. The truly amazing thing is that I didn't do it sooner. That I was taking my health and my life for granted. But not anymore. Those days are long gone. This lifestyle is no hardship or burden. It is a joy and a blessing. And the truth is this is what I should have been doing all along.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 11-03-2009 at 10:47 AM.
Old 11-03-2009, 11:22 AM   #27  

S/C/G: See Ticker

Height: 5'3.5''

If I eat just one , I end up donut diving into the whole box... so buying them is not an option...
I agree w/ rockinrobin... get off the processed carby junk... healthy cooking can so yummy !!
marigrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:29 PM   #28  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

TraceyElaine, I totally relate to you. I've even spit candy out into the garbage before, ha! Hang in there, chica. We're totally cabable of achieving whatever we want. The hobbies have helped me, despite the fact I've been knitting and unknitting the rows of my lap blanket for the last two nights bec of mistakes (!)
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 01:56 PM   #29  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

Another addict here. Seriously, I sometimes feel like its as if food is my "crack". It has control over me and I dont like it at all!
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:37 AM   #30  

S/C/G: 245/see ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

This thread has been very inspiring for me as well. It's funny that in ALL other areas of my life I accomplish much, goal oriented, focused and succeed but with FOOD oh good lord ...I mean I have asked my self a million time why NOT???why not in the area of my food????? My weight???? geeeeesssshhh

and of course GOTTA LOVE THAT ROCKINROBIN ugh is she not incredible or what??????? for real Robin where's your book? I am sure you have written and published one by now

Well now I am pouring some of my "ambitious" ways in all the other areas of my life STRAIGHT into my new healthy way of living. It might be tough for a little while but SO FREAKIN WHAT......I want to be there for my family, I want to live a happy fulfilled life. I truly feel like NOW is my time to be "reborn" so to speak....if that makes sense.....

readytobeme2010 is offline   Reply With Quote