Old 10-23-2009, 06:33 PM   #31  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

Ok, I am back from my ortho appt and it isn't good news. A total knee replacement is my only option. I have bone on bone under my kneecap (almost a perfect triangle) and there is a weird divot on the lateral side--dr was totally surprised to see that. that's why the other surgery is no longer an option. He said he "could" technically do the other one, but it would only last 3-4 years and then I would need a total replacement. I had an idea this was coming, but I'm trying to wrap my brain around it. Now it's REAL.
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 12:56 AM   #32  
Reluctant Adult

New to this thread, but here goes:

MJ5, what a blow. Even though you were expecting it, it's still an ordeal to be got through and a lot to process. On the bright side, everyone I know who's had knee replacements (and I know a few) have no regrets -- it will be so good when it's all over! Be kind to yourself.

Slashnl, I've decided that getting BACK on track is the big secret... we're all going to slip, but it's the ones who manage to come back and keep plugging away who eventually succeed. So good for you for doing it!!

TXMary2, Snickers Dark... mmmm.

lottie63... TOM is the worst... fortunately, that's all behind me now.

Beverlyjoy, you're a good daughter. Glad your mom is doing well. Now take good care of YOU!

nicolen, it's great to see you around. Well done for getting the recycling out... and what of the yummy trainer? How was that last session?

Me: Had a good first week back on plan (South Beach) and stuck with my exercise routine, too -- alternating days of fat chick yoga and interval walking. Been busy with work but managed to eat healthfully today despite the challenges.

Breakfast: 2-egg omelet with peppers, onions and 2 slices turkey bacon
Lunch: 1 cup of white chili chicken soup with 1 TB sour cream
Dinner: spinach salad with tomatoes, hard boiled egg, oil and vinegar and 1 fillet of Barramundi roasted with sliced onions
Snacks: 1 cup LF yogurt, 1 cup SF cocoa

Best to all! - Rae
raebeaR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 01:52 AM   #33  

S/C/G: 311.5/289.5/150

Height: 5'6"

Boy, fat people have a whole repetroire of reasons why they can eat, not exercise, ad naseum. Today was my regular swimming day but I told myself it wouldn't hurt to miss a day (I missed weds last week) to go to Canada to the grocery because it was so far to drive if I went swimming first. (90 miles vs. 130 miles); yes I have to drive 90 miles RT to swim. I live in the boonies. Anyway, I was trying to make up my mind and sat in my chair zoning out and kind of stepped outside myself and took a look and realized that the miles were just my convenient excuse to not only miss my exercise, but to go to Canada shopping to get FOOD. The whole bottom line thing was to go get food, even if it was on my food plan. So, I went swimming. God. Have to watch myself 24/7.

Today I ate my usual swimming day fare:

1 17 gr protein drink (EAS)
6 chicken nuggets w/ a little mustard
1 side salad with 1/2 dressing
1 vanilla cone
1 bowl tomato soup
1 deli sandwich bread
2 slices of cheese
1/4 cup mixed low-salt nuts
Total calories 1400

Now that the lovely summer fruit is gone I have to rework my nightime food to include at least one. I or course eat many veggies, and seasonal fruit on my non-swim days.

Last edited by Suezeeque; 10-24-2009 at 01:55 AM.
Suezeeque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 09:47 AM   #34  

Good-morning all!

This is my first time posting here, thought I'd give it a try. Please bear with me as I try to learn who everyone is.

Suezeeque-Excuse is my middle name. I'm a pro at justifying why I did something unhealthy!

raebeaR- You can do it!

mj5- Sorry about the knee. But think how much better it will feel when its done. My dh is going to need one eventually, I dread it. Not the surgery, its just that my dh is the worlds biggest baby when he doesn't feel well. I would rather have all 3 kids sick at once, then deal with 1 sick husband!

lottie63- You made me homesick! Eat n Park! I grew up in Pittsburgh area. My mom worked there for several years when I was kid. It was the place my friends and I always went for dinner and late night snacks!

Beverlyjoy- Hope your mom is doing well.

JustBeckyV- Do you like the Wii fit plus? I've been trying to decide weather to get that or the resort one. I like the price much better on the fit plus! LOL

Hope everyone has a great day!
aubrylin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 10:24 AM   #35  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

aubrylin, hey I live in south oakland, I go to teh squirrel hill eat n park and the one out at the waterfront.
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:20 AM   #36  
mj5

S/C/G: 299/see ticker/140

Height: 5'4''

Good Morning everyone! It's great to see some new faces around!

I am still kinda in shock from my appt...I know I need to do this, but now I really wish I had pushed myself and was closer to my goal weight. Can't beat myself up over it, but it would make recovery easier not having all the extra weight.

I have been thinking a lot about the training we just had at work too, Psychology of Motivation. We talked about writing down a plan and making it known. That's what I am going to do this morning. I am going to print it off and post it on the refrig. I'll probably put it other places too as a reminder. I am going to stop using a separate calendar as my "reward" calendar--I am going to use the calendar in the kitchen where we write appts, bdays, and other important events. I think by using a separate calendar it was like "keeping a secret"--so if I wasn't being on plan, then no one knew, but me.

If nothing else, this surgery has given me a "real" goal. Not that I didn't always want to lose weight to be healthier, but this just makes it more real. Guess it does take a medical issue for some people to really "get it".

Phew....that's a lot for an early Sunday morning!!!

Rae--Welcome! Thanks. It will be good when it's all over. COngrats on a good 1st week back on plan!

Sue--Good for you for going swimming! For me, I plan to go to the gym all day...then about 3:00, I start thinking of "reasons" why it's ok not to go...

aubrylin--Welcome!!! Thanks. My dh is too, thank goodness its not him. I have a really high tolerance for pain BUT I am fiercly independent, to a fault sometimes...yea, gonna have to work on that! LOL!

Beverlyjoy--How's your mom?

Diane--How was hunting? Hope you had nice weather to be outside.

lottie--Hope you had a nice weekend!!!

Rhonda--Hello! Pop in and let us know how you are doing when you get a chance.

Ok, I need to go make my list. I'll share what I come up with. That's all part of "saying it out loud"....and being accountable.

Have a great OP day!
mj5 is offline   Reply With Quote