Old 09-25-2009, 03:42 PM   #16  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think this really is a demographic issue. Because in central Illinois where I spent most of my life, I knew and saw a lot of obese and even morbidly obese people of all ages (at least in the last couple decades, as obesity has become much more common). In Illinois, I suspect that elderly obese were less active and less mobile and therefore less visible. At least the elderly obese that I came in contact with (through working in social services).

However, moving to Wisconsin, I see a lot more obese and morbidly obese. According to obesity stats, Illinois has a 21% obesity rate, while Wisconsin has 22%, so I really shouldn't be able to notice that much of difference, but there is a HUGE difference, and largely it seems to be an attitude difference. On one hand, it seems to be more acceptable to be obese. Maybe not so good, but maybe not so bad, because it's not assumed that obesity means bad-health and inactivity. There are far more active obese here, and for that matter there are far more active people of all ages and sizes including the fat elderly.

In fact, there are so many fat, active elderly in our area that I really do suspect that the activity component really may be a bigger component of longevity, mobility and health than obesity alone. I also find that there is a greater emphasis on "good" food. I'm not saying that fast food and junk food aren't as prevalent here as anywhere else, but the availability and demand for healthy, fresh, local meat, dairy, eggs, fruits and vegetables beats anywhere I've lived in Illinois.

Last edited by kaplods; 09-25-2009 at 03:45 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:37 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I would love to be a little old lady when I grow up.

Last edited by Beverlyjoy; 09-28-2009 at 06:31 AM.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 09:55 PM   #18  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

I see a LOT of older men AND women that are obese where I live.
I worked as an outreach worker with seniors, and I saw even more.

Like others have said, maybe it is a demographic issue, but obesity and weight issues seem to affect all ages and all socio-economic groups where I live.

And - for the record - I am little (thanks to many of you for helping me on my journey), I am old, and I am certainly a lady (thank you Mom for DRILLING those manners into me)
but I am NOT a "little old lady"
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:39 AM   #19  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

I was always aware of the fact that you just didn't see too many 50 year old people walking around my size and it frightened me. I had it in the back of my head that if I didn't take care of my weight by the time I was 50, I might never have the chance to take care of it at all, because I'd be dead.

It's funny because I've thought it to my self LOTS, but didn't look at it so literally till you folks just pointed it out. I thought of it as I'd be dead, didn't look at it so literally, that I may be alive, just NOT WALKING AROUND (no mobility). Hmmm. Interesting. Though I'm certain for myself, it wasn't a case of not being able to walk, it was a case of I'd wouldn't be living - period. I'm certain of it.

I started my journey when I was 42. Too bad I hadn't had it my head that I didn't see too many 40 years olds walking around my size. Oh well.

And I'd love to be called a little old lady. I've got no problem with it. In about 45 years or so.

Last edited by rockinrobin; 09-28-2009 at 01:11 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:48 AM   #20  

I work in a hospital and take care of hundreds of patients a years.I see many obese people.I can probably count the obese people I have taken care of in their 70s and 80s.Very very few.My guess is these people die from complications of this disease way before they reach this age.But of course when I hear the word "older".I think of people age 70 and up....its a medical professional thing.....
harrismm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 05:09 AM   #21  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs up Little Old Gentleman

Little Old Gentleman checking in.

Nope, never been called that; the elder phrase for guys seems to be "Dirty old man" which I would object to being called.

I started my journey four years ago at 62. One of my motivations was to avoid being overweight when I retired, or when I got "old" - which, of course, is always an age older than I am now, LOL. Another motivation was the awareness that many older folks I knew didn't have the mobility to start heavy exercising, so I had better start while I still could. Subsequently I have come to know some older folks who continue serious exercising.

I, too, have noticed few obese older folks. It's almost been a bummer to face the thought that my journey was wasted because old people just naturally lose the excess weight, by some magic process that I don't know about. I'm guessing, because it hasn't been mentioned yet, that my fantasized natural weight loss doesn't happen.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:35 AM   #22  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

I know a number of elderly obese people, relatives or friends of my mother. Obesity does not necessarily mean an early death. I think that your genetics play a part in this also. My obese grandmother lived to be 98. My active grandmother lived to be 100, so I have genetics in my favor. But...., and it is a big but to me, mobility is an issue for the elder obese people that I know. At the moment, I can't think of one exception. I know them because of my mother, you won't see them out and about except at the doctor's office or maybe church. You certainly won't see them passing me on the walking track. Obesity can be a quality of life issue, IMHO.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 12:27 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Hmm, I don't know what to say, because I see a lot.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 01:29 PM   #24  

S/C/G: high285/resrart276/ticker/140

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubergirl View Post
I see morbidly obese older people all the time.

But then again, I work in a hospital.
I don't work in a hospital, but I am a big people watcher and I see obese people of all ages, races, sexes, etc constantly. I also notice more and more overweight people it seems, but who am I to judge... I will always be an obese person, even when I hit goal.
findingfawn is offline   Reply With Quote