Old 08-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

Height: 5'6"

The only time I had a cashier really pause was when all I picked up was a box of condoms, some rope, a candle, and clothespins.... and yes... that was a VERY fun night [/QUOTE]

I have a great imagination! Now that was fun!
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #17  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

My cart is my business, no matter my weight. The only time I've ever been a bit embarassed at the checkout is when I've had to buy feminine supplies and there are only male checkers. I don't know why, but I can't JUST by feminine supplies. Condoms, yes but femine supplies, no. I have to buy something else with it, I guess so it doesn't scream out that I NEED feminine supplies, where if I just happen to be picking them up when I'm doing my other shopping, I feel less insecure. But, it probably actually makes it more obvious, tampons and chewing gum? I've actuallyl considered this when making the purchase (hmm, what is a less conspicuous combination?) Ice cream and tampons? No, that says I'm going on a TOM binge. Tampons and disposable razors? No, that says I'm PMSing and hairy. Tampons and a gallon of milk? Getting better...

Yeah there's still plenty of craziness in my head.

98% off topic, but it reminds me of a story my husband told me of his college days. He and his friend would play a game in which they would take turns trying to shock late-night cashiers. I don't know how they determined who "won," but you got extra "points" based on the cashier's facial expression. He said on one occasion, as they were getting into the car, they noticed the cashier peering through the glass, writing down the license plate number. They expected to get a visit from the police, but never did.

Last edited by kaplods; 08-12-2009 at 12:08 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:10 PM   #18  

I tend to agree with Nellie! Well actually I agree a lot. Where those choices are a bit better than a burger at your local joint, they really aren't good quality choices. Just look at the sizes? They have to be like that because of all the crap they put to still keep within a calorie limit they are looking for. These types of meals will leave you hungry soon after eating which will lead to unhealthy snacking (as opposed to healthy snacking) You can get the same calorie count for most out of 5oz chicken breast, 1 cup of pasta and a cup of veggies and you you will have a MUCH larger portion.

Also just a tad bit of info! Most of the labeling we see in the grocery stores is completely false!!! I can show some examples if you like!
Guess Who is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:17 PM   #19  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Sometimes I feel weird about buying stuff. My skinny extremely healthy husband has eaten a bowl of ice cream nearly every single night since I've known him (13 years). So Ice cream is in my cart along with my lean cuisines. He also eats other stuff that some would consider junk on occasion, so that stuff is in my cart too. I have a daughter that gets to pick out one goody once a week while we're at the store. Sometimes she wants popsicles, little debbie cakes, or cookies. But sometimes she wants fruit, yogurt, or cheese. So that stuff is in my cart as well.

My cart probably looks funny sometimes to people but I try not to really care. I probably could look at those same peoples carts and see weird stuff too.
There's something that someone very wise told me once... It's none of my buisness what other people think of me. So anytime I start feeling strange about what someone is thinking I repeat to myself "It's none of my buisness, It's none of my buisness..."

And if I cant get over it there's always the Self Checkout line! (In most grocery stores that I go to)
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #20  

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpnodat View Post
Sometimes I feel weird about buying stuff. My skinny extremely healthy husband has eaten a bowl of ice cream nearly every single night since I've known him (13 years).
Skinny maybe, but I would not consider that to be healthy in the slightest. Ice cream is not only more than half fat, but saturated fat at that.

Skinny people can be carrying large amounts of bodyfat compared to their lean body mass. MY friend is an OR nurse, you would be surpised the ratio of skinny people vs fat people comng for bypass surgeries and procedures due to diet or lack there of.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:40 PM   #21  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
Skinny maybe, but I would not consider that to be healthy in the slightest. Ice cream is not only more than half fat, but saturated fat at that.

Skinny people can be carrying large amounts of bodyfat compared to their lean body mass. MY friend is an OR nurse, you would be surpised the ratio of skinny people vs fat people comng for bypass surgeries and procedures due to diet or lack there of.

That may be true for some but there is nothing wrong with a person having a bowl of ice cream if done in moderation and an other wise healthy diet.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:45 PM   #22  

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanceDiva View Post
That may be true for some but there is nothing wrong with a person having a bowl of ice cream if done in moderation and an other wise healthy diet.
Oh you are absolutely right! I agree 100%, however she mentioned that he has it every single night for 13 years! That is far from moderation.
Old 08-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 255/ticker/135

If it's accounted for and the rest of his food intake that day is reasonable, what difference does it make if he has ice cream every night or something else? Obviously he's not overindulging calorie-wise. One serving of ice cream, even if it is every night, is still indulging in moderation.
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:02 PM   #24  

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachael View Post
If it's accounted for and the rest of his food intake that day is reasonable, what difference does it make if he has ice cream every night or something else? Obviously he's not overindulging calorie-wise. One serving of ice cream, even if it is every night, is still indulging in moderation.
Please by all means don't take me wrong here! If the man wants to eat ice cream then let him eat ice cream. However you are talking about it on caloric level, and I was talking on a healthy level. That much saturated fat every evening is not healthy in the least! You can stay within you calorie limits all day long with Crisco only but I can gaurantee you that you will be in the express lane to your death bed.

Also, you mention eating that or anything else as long as you are within your caloric limits. You will lose scale weight if you eat nothing but butter within your calorie limits, HOWEVER you will NOT lose fat! Your weight loss with mostly be of muscle and your body being drained of fluid.

I think on a much different level of calories/calories out type of weight loss, but that was not what I was getting at here.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:19 PM   #25  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I know just what you mean.
I don't ever buy the ww foods but I have to have lost a certain amount of weight before I'll be seen buying a dieting magazine!
I'll practise remembering that basically, no-one gives a dmn. And if they do, it's they who're sad, not me!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #26  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Not to nitpick (well, I guess mabe a little), but I don't think you can call daily icecream moderation or not (whether the aim is health or weight loss, but for argument, let's use health as the standard) unless you know the type of ice cream, how large the serving, as well as everything else he's eating, as well as his activity level and the specific status of his health. It's the fat (saturated and not) in the entire diet, not one food (and a half cup serving of a mid-range fat-content icecream, could easily be incorporated into a healthy diet. Choosing a leaner protein for dinner such as chicken or fish rather than beef, could easily "save" enough saturated fat calories to account for the one serving of icecream).

Also, not all icecreams are 50% calories from saturated fat. There are a wide ranges of fat contents in frozen desserts. The regulations have also been loosened on what can be called icecream, so many store-brand of icecream would actually have been classified as icemilk under the old standards.

My husband and I don't eat icecream often, but we recently bought Walmart's brand of Great Value Pomegranate Blueberry icecream. It was a berrysyrup/jam ribbon swirled in vanilla icecream. I don't remember the fat content, but it wasn't 50% calories from fat, and the calories were only 120 calories for 1/2 cup serving. Even assuming it was 50% saturated fat calories, that's still only 60 calories from that fat. 60 calories out of a 2,000 calorie diet (actually if he's a thin adult male, it's probably closer to a 2500 calorie diet) that only accounts for 2-3% of the daily calories. Plenty of room for the rest of his calories (and where they come from) to fall well within healthy guidelines.

It's important to remember that it's the "big picture" that is important. Small servings of almost anything can be incorporated into a healthy diet (even on a daily basis). I eat a serving of nuts daily, but my serving is 1/2 ounce (about 65 calories from fat).

My father eats a bowl of icecream almost every night. They've always bought the less expensive brands (so less fat, but price not fat-content was the choice). He also worked a very strenuous job and his cholesterol levels were always fantastic. After retirement, he had to change this habit (he quickly added a spare tire, and his cholesterol levels while still good, were starting to creep upward). Instead of giving up his nightly icecream, he switched to lighter brands, and cut his serving size in half.

Their favorite brand/flavor is Edy's SlowChurned Rich and Creamy (chocolate chip)

Nutritional facts

Amount per 1/2 Cup

Calories 120
Calories from Fat 40

Total Fat 4 (g)
Saturated Fat 4 (g)
Cholesterol 20 (mg)

Sodium 50 (mg)

Total Carbohydrates 17 (g)
Dietary Fiber 0 (g)
Sugars 13 (g)

Protein 3 (g)

Calcium 6 %

Kosher Light Gluten-Free Nut Allergen-Free

Last edited by kaplods; 08-12-2009 at 01:47 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:39 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
My cart is my business, no matter my weight. The only time I've ever been a bit embarassed at the checkout is when I've had to buy feminine supplies and there are only male checkers. I don't know why, but I can't JUST by feminine supplies. Condoms, yes but femine supplies, no. I have to buy something else with it, I guess so it doesn't scream out that I NEED feminine supplies, where if I just happen to be picking them up when I'm doing my other shopping, I feel less insecure. But, it probably actually makes it more obvious, tampons and chewing gum? I've actuallyl considered this when making the purchase (hmm, what is a less conspicuous combination?) Ice cream and tampons? No, that says I'm going on a TOM binge. Tampons and disposable razors? No, that says I'm PMSing and hairy. Tampons and a gallon of milk? Getting better...

Yeah there's still plenty of craziness in my head.

98% off topic, but it reminds me of a story my husband told me of his college days. He and his friend would play a game in which they would take turns trying to shock late-night cashiers. I don't know how they determined who "won," but you got extra "points" based on the cashier's facial expression. He said on one occasion, as they were getting into the car, they noticed the cashier peering through the glass, writing down the license plate number. They expected to get a visit from the police, but never did.
Love this!! I would say go with tampons and maybe notebook paper, or office supplies?
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #28  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I eat ice cream every night granted it's WW
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 01:43 PM   #29  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I so want some ice cream right now.....
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 02:04 PM   #30  

Height: 6'1

Some of these answers are funny. The only time that I have been embarassed is when we needed toilet paper one time. My mom asked me if I could go to Walgreens and pick some up. I didn't want to buy just that, so I think I picked up some candy or something like that to go along with the tp.
shasha17a is offline   Reply With Quote