3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   100 lb. Club (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club-55/)
-   -   ? about loose skin and weight loss (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/100-lb-club/178378-about-loose-skin-weight-loss.html)

chubbs 08-04-2009 10:54 AM

? about loose skin and weight loss

I want to lose at least 100 lbs. but my concern is the loose skin afterwards - surgery would NOT be an option. Does anyone have any tricks or ideas to help prevent this? I sometimes think that I'd rather be fat than to have the loose, sagging skin.

carol2208 08-04-2009 11:13 AM

Trust me, loose, saggy skin is way better than fat... for both health and estetics ...

In my case, refirming lotions and exercise (weight training) helped... also, give it a year to your body to adjust once youīve lost the weight, once I lost the weight I had a lot more saggy skin, a year later with more or less the same weight (doing weight training), the skin had improved considerably... I still have saggy skin in some areas, arms and legs specially bother me, but itīs way way WAY better then when it was fat !!

diyana 08-04-2009 11:17 AM

Chubbs - Thanks for posting the question. I was wondering the same thing.

Carol2208 - Thanks for posting the answer! May I ask how old you are? I've heard skin doesn't go back as easily the older you get. I'm in my mid 40s.

rockinrobin 08-04-2009 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chubbs (Post 2859067)
I want to lose at least 100 lbs. but my concern is the loose skin afterwards - surgery would NOT be an option. Does anyone have any tricks or ideas to help prevent this? I sometimes think that I'd rather be fat than to have the loose, sagging skin.

Really? You'd rather be fat that have loose skin...... Wow.

Well, I've been fat with no loose skin and now I have loose skin, but I'm not fat.. And I can tell you, that my life is waaaaaay better now that I'm not fat, but have loose skin. I'm healthy. I'm fit. Productive. Energetic. Full of stamina. Full of self-confidence, self-esteem, self-worth(all things I was lacking). I wear extra smalls, size 4's and with this crazy vanity sizing, I wear loads of size 2's and even an occasional size 0. I no longer "fear" restaurant booths, folding chairs, beach chairs, barber chairs etc..... I no longer dread socializing and getting invitations to weddings and the such. I'm a clothes horse and every day walking around in this slim, fit body is a joy and a blessing to me.

The only "tip" I would give you is to stop fearing loose skin. There is nothing whatsoever to fear. My loose skin stays nice and hidden under clothing. That would be my size 2 and 4 clothing ;). Like Meg once said, if you're that unhappy with the loose skin, you can always gain the weight back.

Oh - and exercise. Cardio and strength training.

beerab 08-04-2009 11:20 AM

Weight training is definitely supposed to help the skin- I also agree to moisturize to keep your skin hydrated which should help with firmness.

Also losing weight at a good pace will give your skin time to shrink as well. Your skin is a breathing organ and will definitely adjust as you adjust.

So far out of the 95/100 lbs I'm trying to lose I've lost 23 and I haven't had a loose skin issue- but then again I've lost it very slowly- not that I want to though lol.

Onederchic 08-04-2009 11:22 AM

No way would I ever want to stay 330 pounds so I wouldn't have to deal with the extra skin :nono:

Here's a link to a FAQ here on this subject http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/body...skin-faqs.html

lottie63 08-04-2009 11:23 AM

a girl who worked at my school had wls, lost VERY quickly, and said she doesn't have loose skin because (and her doc told her this) that she's young enough that it would stretch back into shape. (She's in her mid 30's) which is good to hear since I"m 29, hoping not to have too much of an issue there! But I'd rather be thinner!

carol2208 08-04-2009 11:38 AM

Hey Diyana,

Iīm 29... but I have tons of streach marks and my skin still improved after a year... donīt get me wrong, I still have saggy skin, but it is better than it was before...

When I was considering surgery and consulted with a couple plastic surgeons, two of them also actually told me that ideally itīs best if you wait a year after loosing the weight, not only to make it less plausible that youīll gain it back, but because your skin needs time to adjust to your new size...

rockinrobin 08-04-2009 11:42 AM

I definitely think age is a factor. Also how heavy you are and how long you've been that heavy for. And genetics plays a role as well.

better health3 08-04-2009 11:51 AM

I know for me, I let this be an excuse to not lose extra weight for years. It pales in comparison to a heart attack, cancer, stroke, and diabetes.

It is a case by case basis. I've been obese for so many years that my skin in the lower abdominal area has lost it's elasticity. There is NO WAY it will ever go back to normal.

girlonfire 08-04-2009 12:34 PM

Well for me personally, I have been obese for about 6 years(and I'm only 19!), but I have been told that due to my age my skin is still pretty elastic. I am still worried about it though because I have that stupid lower belly roll and I'm afraid that will never look good!

MugCanDoIt 08-04-2009 12:40 PM

Im so very worried about my chin skin. I had a super huge double chin when at my largest weight, and now that Im losing, its getting smaller, and I hope to God it doesnt leave me with an old woman looking floppy gobbler. Im only 33 and I dont want a saggy neck/chin. Sigh...................

Momto2Ms 08-04-2009 01:05 PM

I'm still in the infancy stages of weight loss, however, after a lot of introspection the past few weeks I've realized that one of the biggest hindrances for healthy weight loss for me in the past has been fear. Fear of commitment. Fear of failure. Fear of the unknown. The unknown being one of the biggest fears.

I don't know what a 150 lbs LeeAnn will look like because I've never known her. I do know that her body won't look like her 150 lbs friend who has been a runner her entire life and not had children, or her 150 lbs friend who recently had a 20 lbs weight loss, or her 150 lbs mother-in-law who lost 250 lbs through gastric by-pass.

And I'm finally okay with that. The body I have and will have will tell the story of the life I have given it. It is the body that belonged to me as an overweight little girl, obese teenager, bulimic college student, twice pregnant mother, and again obese adult. I've used it and abused it, and now I am taking care of it. What I'm left with is yet to be seen, but regardless it is mine.

Best of luck to you!

HotWings 08-04-2009 01:19 PM

Has anyone ever tried that neck slimmer thing they advertise on TV?? Exercise thing with springs in it of varying strengths. I was curious about it, but so much of what they advertise on TV is bunk!

H8cake 08-04-2009 01:22 PM

I'm 45 and have lost over 100 pounds and I do have saggy skin. I agree totally with what Robin said, I can cover it with my much smaller clothes and look great. I didn't feel great or look great at 265 pounds, even in clothes. I think it has so much to do with heredity and how the weight is distributed and age. Each person is going to be a little different. The worst areas on me are my lower stomach and my thighs. I think the stomach is getting better. My thighs are still shrinking, so it's too soon to tell in that area. I love wearing bermuda shorts, they cover the saggy thighs, but I look good in them and they are the slimmer cut ones:carrot:
Mug- don't worry about your chin. As young as you are the skin will most likely shrink nicely. I'm a lot older than you and was concerned about it since that is one area that is harder to cover. At first it looked bad, but it has improved greatly in the last couple of months. I'm only two months into maintenance and actually still losing slowly.
My Mom always used saggy skin as an excuse to not lose weight. She died of heart failure after a long fight with diabetes. Her quality of life could have been so much better the last 20 years of her life if she had taken better care of herself. I'll take the saggy skin gladly if I can avoid going through what she did.

Heather 08-04-2009 01:28 PM

When I first joined 3fc and heard about the loose skin, I was kind of scared and freaked out.

Now I'm maintaining a weight loss of about 100 pounds and yep, I've got some! There are some times when it bothers me, but mostly I am just THRILLED to be able to life my life with loose skin, rather than sitting on the sidelines with firm skin and morbid obesity!!

matt_H 08-04-2009 01:36 PM

Loose skin is going to happen, but the good news is that most of it will go away with time. Clothes hide the skin and I'd totally choose a bit of loose skin over obesity. I already have some loose skin and I look at it as a good sign (there is no fat there anymore!).

If you are relatively young and a non-smoker, most of the loose skin will tighten up over time. It can take up to two years. Adding muscle and keeping your skin moisturized would definitely help.

annie175 08-04-2009 01:40 PM

What rockinrobin said is right on the money. Perfect answer.

rockinrobin 08-04-2009 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Momto2Ms (Post 2859344)
I don't know what a 150 lbs LeeAnn will look like because I've never known her. I do know that her body won't look like her 150 lbs friend who has been a runner her entire life and not had children, or her 150 lbs friend who recently had a 20 lbs weight loss, or her 150 lbs mother-in-law who lost 250 lbs through gastric by-pass.

And I'm finally okay with that. The body I have and will have will tell the story of the life I have given it. It is the body that belonged to me as an overweight little girl, obese teenager, bulimic college student, twice pregnant mother, and again obese adult. I've used it and abused it, and now I am taking care of it. What I'm left with is yet to be seen, but regardless it is mine.

I'm so glad that you've come to terms with it. :hug:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heather (Post 2859388)
Now I'm maintaining a weight loss of about 100 pounds and yep, I've got some! There are some times when it bothers me, but mostly I am just THRILLED to be able to life my life with loose skin, rather than sitting on the sidelines with firm skin and morbid obesity!!

Well put, as usual. That's what I was trying to say, you just did it more succinct and to the point.

Quote:

Originally Posted by matt_H (Post 2859401)
Loose skin is going to happen, but the good news is that most of it will go away with time. Clothes hide the skin and I'd totally choose a bit of loose skin over obesity. I already have some loose skin and I look at it as a good sign (there is no fat there anymore!).

If you are relatively young and a non-smoker, most of the loose skin will tighten up over time. It can take up to two years. Adding muscle and keeping your skin moisturized would definitely help.

I'm really not sure about most of it going away with time. Although having maintained now for 2 years, I've definitely seen improvement. Not sure how much more improvement there is in my future. Sure I'd like some, but am beyond to pieces thrilled with the turnout, loose skin and all.

Oh and adding muscle doesn't change the skin, just what's under there.

diyana 08-04-2009 01:47 PM

Thanks for all the great info! I am eager to lose the weight regardless of whether or not I end up with saggy skin. As so many of you have said, it's not visible while wearing clothes. I'm losing weight mostly to feel better, be healthier and have more energy. Looking better will be an awesome bonus. I am doing weight training and will continue to do that. I can already see that I'm losing one of my chins with no saggy skin, so hopefully that will be the same with the rest of my body. I'm really striving to tone up my triceps so I don't have a double and triple wave!

Heather - I so agree with ya'. I too would much rather live my life with loose skin than sit on the sidelines with taut skin over my morbid obesity!

RockinRobin - You are an inspiration! I am so looking forward to the day when I am walking around in a slim, fit body! I can hear the confidence, stamina and energy in every word! Thank you so much!

I'm very grateful to you all!

TJFitnessDiva 08-04-2009 01:56 PM

I can't add any that hasn't been said already :)

I do have loose skin but it really beats hauling around an extra 130lbs! No wonder I was so tired before :lol:

CLCSC145 08-04-2009 02:04 PM

I'm embracing the need for plastic surgery and put away any extra money I have for it. You don't have to live with it if you don't want to.

rockinrobin 08-04-2009 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLCSC145 (Post 2859465)
I'm embracing the need for plastic surgery and put away any extra money I have for it. You don't have to live with it if you don't want to.

I've got three kids. 2 in college, one of which has one more year and then will be headed to grad school and my third child is in her senior year of high school headed to college. Extra money? Oh no, no, no. There will be none of that for many, many, many years. Most likely never. I'd prefer to spoil my grandchildren ;).

As long as it doesn't affect my health or my quality of life, plastic surgery is out of the question and therefore I will have to live with it. But again, it is no hardship to do so. I hardly ever think about it. Although many people, bless their little hearts have ASKED me about it......

Not sure what I would do if I did have some extra money, if even then I would consider having surgery. Well, nothing to think about. It's not an option.

Onederchic 08-04-2009 02:25 PM

Yeah, definitely I don't have any "extra" money to put back and save for surgery :nono:. I am coming to terms that the skin will be okay, at least I won't be moridly obese and in bad health anymore :nono: :D

MugCanDoIt 08-04-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HotWings (Post 2859372)
Has anyone ever tried that neck slimmer thing they advertise on TV?? Exercise thing with springs in it of varying strengths. I was curious about it, but so much of what they advertise on TV is bunk!

Ive wondered the same thing myself but theres a little voice that tells me it does not work. Would be nice though...I'd get one and try it.

quiffy 08-04-2009 02:39 PM

I'm with C.C. and embracing or accepting the need for plastic surgery once moved to maintenance.

I was told by ... you know someone who knows someone.. type of told, that using compression clothing as you lose the weight helps with the sagging. I figure it might work just because it minimized the affect gravity has on the empty space. I have no clue if it really works, but I've been using it as a method. So far I have only been wearing something for my stomach area. I am getting to a point where I need something for inner thigh and upper arms, if I am going to continue with this method.

CLCSC145 08-04-2009 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinrobin (Post 2859494)
I've got three kids. 2 in college, one of which has one more year and then will be headed to grad school and my third child is in her senior year of high school headed to college. Extra money? Oh no, no, no. There will be none of that for many, many, many years. Most likely never. I'd prefer to spoil my grandchildren ;).

I don't have anyone, so what am I saving it for? :D All I meant by suggesting it was that if it REALLY upsets you, there are ways to remedy it. It doesn't make you selfish to want to fix it - and for some people it's a medical necessity - and it may take years to save up the money, but you can get rid of it.

TJFitnessDiva 08-04-2009 05:04 PM

I'm planning to nip/tuck one day :) I'm giving myself a couple of years of maintaining before I do though!

chubbs 08-04-2009 05:18 PM

Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions! I know that I'm lucky because even though I'm 287 lbs. I am able to get around and do better than some at 187 lbs. My biggest problem right now isn't so much the food issue as it is the fluids - I've never been a big drinker and I have to force myself to drink water cause I can go all day without drinking anything. Not good! I'm doing better but I still have to work on it.

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar070...2/200/287/.png

kiramira 08-04-2009 06:25 PM

Why is plastic surgery seen as a value judgement? I will sacrifice for others and have batwings (implication -- I won't be evil and selfish like those of you who would deprive your grandchildren for a vain and egocentric cause)?

I think if you wanna fix something, FIX IT. Be happy! You only have one life!
And if you have grown, well-educated children in reasonable jobs, you deserve to spend a little something on yourself...I know all 3 of us kids have reasonable jobs and tell our parents to leave us with nothing but debt. After all, they EARNED their money and we EARN our own. They can spend theirs on first -class cruise tickets til the cows come home, OR plastic surgery if that is what turns their cranks..

JMHO

Kira

rockinrobin 08-04-2009 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CLCSC145 (Post 2859546)
I don't have anyone, so what am I saving it for? :D All I meant by suggesting it was that if it REALLY upsets you, there are ways to remedy it. It doesn't make you selfish to want to fix it - and for some people it's a medical necessity - and it may take years to save up the money, but you can get rid of it.

100% agreed - there is no selfishness whatsoever, IMO to getting plastic surgery. You're in a totally different position then I am. And I bet you're going to LOVE the results.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chubbs (Post 2859761)
Thanks to everyone for your comments and suggestions! I know that I'm lucky because even though I'm 287 lbs. I am able to get around and do better than some at 187 lbs. My biggest problem right now isn't so much the food issue as it is the fluids - I've never been a big drinker and I have to force myself to drink water cause I can go all day without drinking anything. Not good! I'm doing better but I still have to work on it.

http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar070...2/200/287/.png

Don't worry all THAT much about drinking water. I know for me, FOOD was what made me heavy, not NOT drinking water. ;)

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiramira (Post 2859858)
Why is plastic surgery seen as a value judgement? I will sacrifice for others and have batwings (implication -- I won't be evil and selfish like those of you who would deprive your grandchildren for a vain and egocentric cause)?

I think if you wanna fix something, FIX IT. Be happy! You only have one life!
And if you have grown, well-educated children in reasonable jobs, you deserve to spend a little something on yourself...I know all 3 of us kids have reasonable jobs and tell our parents to leave us with nothing but debt. After all, they EARNED their money and we EARN our own. They can spend theirs on first -class cruise tickets til the cows come home, OR plastic surgery if that is what turns their cranks..

JMHO

Kira

Ummm, no one has said that plastic surgery was seen as a value judgment. I'm not sure - at all- where you got that from my post. Evil & selfish? Come now.

If it were free - of money, of risks and of pain - I'd do it without hesitation.

We all have to do what makes us happy. And for right now it makes me happy, very, very happy to give my kids an education. And I greatly look forward to having grandkids and spoiling the heck out of them. That's my choice. I sure hope you're not judging me for that. ;)

kiramira 08-04-2009 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinrobin (Post 2859494)
Extra money? Oh no, no, no. There will be none of that for many, many, many years. Most likely never. I'd prefer to spoil my grandchildren ;).

Sorry, Ms Rockin -- I guess there were two of us who interpreted the above as a value judgement...as in -- I'd rather sacrifice and spoil my grandchildren then spend any extra money on myself...

Sorry if I/we misunderstood :o

Kira

rockinrobin 08-04-2009 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiramira (Post 2860032)
Sorry, Ms Rockin -- I guess there were two of us who interpreted the above as a value judgement...as in -- I'd rather sacrifice and spoil my grandchildren then spend any extra money on myself...

Sorry if I/we misunderstood :o

Kira

I don't see it as a sacrifice to NOT have plastic surgery and spend my money as I see fit. And I really don't like having to defend my choices as to how I do or do not spend my money. You're making me look like the bad guy because of it.

Kira - you my dear ARE putting me down and judging me for what I'd prefer to spend my money on. Do you see that??? I'm not really sure why you're doing that. But I sure wish you'd stop. Okay??? :dizzy:

kiramira 08-04-2009 08:56 PM

Like I said -- sorry about the misunderstanding...I thought you were wondering why the conclusion was drawn so I just did the quote and explained why I came to clearly the wrong conclusion. And it wasn't just me, so I was apologizing for my misunderstanding and was explaining why more than one of us came to this conclusion.

Of COURSE you are entitled to spend your hard earned money any way you can. As we are ALL free to do.

Again, sorry I misunderstood your post :o

Kira

rockinrobin 08-04-2009 09:42 PM

If my excess skin was tearing away at me, eating out my insides every single day, making my life miserable, I guess I would some how, some way find the way to pay for it. But that's not the case or even close.

But Kira, in all honesty, I didn't see any other posts that thought that I was judging the decision to have plastic surgery :dunno:. You were the only one who I saw judging ME so harshly. But that's neither here nor there.

And... oh never mind.

Yes, a misunderstanding. Let's just leave it at that..... :smug:

A misunderstanding. On the internet - who wouldv'e thunk it???? ;)

junebug41 08-04-2009 10:02 PM

I had/have loose skin.. and my stretch marks GREW!

But I'm with Robin, I will take this weight with some loose skin than my old weight. I've never heard anyone say they regret their weightloss because of loose skin.

It was worse on my breasts and my inner thighs and upper tummy. ALL of those areas have improved quite a bit (and things have-ahem-"perked up").

No regrets here.

Vivian27 08-04-2009 10:16 PM

This was quite interesting. I have thought about this issue but did not give it that much importance. I have had 3 c-sections so I know I will have loose skin but heck I rather be healthy than worry about some skin.

CountingDown 08-04-2009 10:26 PM

Yup - have lots of loose skin.

Yup - it has gotten better with time, but will never go away completely.

Yup - I wouldn't trade my loose, saggy, baggy skin for the fat for ANYTHING!

Nope - not gonna have surgery (and now that the kids are mostly through school, I could swing it). I see the extra skin as a battle scar - a very good reminder of what COULD happen again if I am not vigilent.

Honestly - it doesn't bother me. I look great in clothes, and DH thinks I look pretty good out of them :o

I'm with Robin on this one. My size 2s and 4s look fab and I would much rather spend the money on things that I value (quality experiences with my loved ones) rather than on my physical appearance.

Each of us makes choices baed upon our values and life experiences. Nothing wrong with each of us choosing based upon what we consider our priorities. For me - the money is better spent on spending more time with those I love :D

CLCSC145 08-04-2009 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rockinrobin (Post 2860119)
But Kira, in all honesty, I didn't see any other posts that thought that I was judging the decision to have plastic surgery :dunno:. You were the only one who I saw judging ME so harshly. But that's neither here nor there.

And... oh never mind.

Yes, a misunderstanding. Let's just leave it at that..... :smug:

A misunderstanding. On the internet - who wouldv'e thunk it???? ;)

I think Kira was talking about me. I admit I felt that a few responses to my post saying I am probably going to go the surgery route felt that my decision was being judged negatively because I'm planning to spend money on my body rather than on others. I don't think you intended your post to be judgmental, but the way I read it, it did get to me. And my reply to your post was snarkier than I wish it had been (sorry).

Personally, I'd go into hock to not have to walk around with the extra skin. I have tried, but I can't make peace with it - I don't want to. And I'm grateful as can be that there is a choice out there so I don't have to. But we all have different feelings on the subject and different bodies that carried fat differently and are at varying points in our lives. I think it's important that no matter how each of us decides to deal with the issue, that we all respect each others' decisions.

No hard feelings I hope.

rockinrobin 08-05-2009 01:14 AM

CC, I feel badly that my response evoked such feelings in you. I tried to keep it light, while expressing my views. I really didn't take your reply as snarky though. I guess that went right over my head.

Quote:

Honestly - it doesn't bother me. I look great in clothes, and DH thinks I look pretty good out of them
This pretty much sums it up for me. Ummm, including the part about DH (mine, not hers). As usual Counting Down did a great job at expressing my feelings. In fact, the more I think about it, the less the skin bothers me. I don't think about it much, except for when threads like these come about. Now granted, I won't be wearing a bikini or hot pants anytime soon, but I'm more then okay with it.

Call me crazy, but I love and adore my body. I mean I really, really love it.