Old 07-17-2009, 01:51 AM   #16  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I am sorry that happened to you Some people don't realize that they JUST DON'T NEED TO SAY ANYTHING. It's not a requirement to be an a&& hole!!!!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 01:58 AM   #17  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I will never forget getting mooed at while jogging down the street by some middleschoolers. Worst, the mom driving them laughed. Way to teach your kids to be upstanding citizens!

Sorry you had to deal with that. But stupid is stupid, and they'd come up with something stupid to say regardless of weight, I think. If it's not one thing, it's something else...once I was at goal weight, I got a taunting comment from some teens about my shirt. Yes, my t-shirt. Seriously? Seriously.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:19 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 280.0/205.8/100.0

Height: 5'2"

I'm sorry that happened to you. It shouldn't hurt when strangers make rude comments but it does.

Next time someone's a jerk tell them that you're overweight and you can lose the excess pounds but they're ignorant and there's no cure for stupidity.
CamiToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:20 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 256/251/145

Height: 5'6"

I am so sorry this happened. I have often seen heavy people out walking and jogging and I think to myself, good for them. Wonderful! Next time I am going to yell that out. I'm ashamed to say, I have never done this, next time I will.
scarletmeshell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:45 AM   #20  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

Sadly it's something you need to ignore. If you allow yourself to feel down about something so negative it could cause a back slide. They were immature thugs that karma will get sooner or later.

I have never had anyone except family say rude and mean things to me though.
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

I agree that they are going to be rude regardless of weight or looks. They just pick the easiest thing for their simple minds to taunt about. If you had no legs they'd make fun of that. Or if you were bald. Or old. Or whatever.

I got called a fat cow when I weighed about 165 pounds. If only they could see me now!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:22 PM   #22  

It really bothers me that any visual recognition of an imperfection is such an easy goto to taunt someone about.
I hate that the 'fat card' can be played at any moment.
I personally love to argue, and apreciate a good slam or comeback, but the whole 'you're fat' comment in any form is such a weak childish copout. Which is why it probably bothers me so much.

I find those comments hard to ignore, they're mean but true (which is why they are used-easy way to be mean and stun someone, takes almost no thought or effort) and the only way to get rid of them for good is to lose the weight and make those comments impossible.
thisisnotatest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:29 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by thisisnotatest View Post
It really bothers me that any visual recognition of an imperfection is such an easy goto to taunt someone about.
I hate that the 'fat card' can be played at any moment.
I personally love to argue, and apreciate a good slam or comeback, but the whole 'you're fat' comment in any form is such a weak childish copout. Which is why it probably bothers me so much.

I find those comments hard to ignore, they're mean but true (which is why they are used-easy way to be mean and stun someone, takes almost no thought or effort) and the only way to get rid of them for good is to lose the weight and make those comments impossible.
All very true - which is why it makes me want to say "Wow, that was clever! Did you come up with it all by yourself?"
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:14 PM   #24  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

I remember being in a car with my DH (before he was my DH) and some of our co-workers, years ago, all going to lunch.

We were driving down the road, and a larger person was jogging by the side of the road. One of the guys snickered and said something rude inside the car -- I can't remember what -- just to us, to get a laugh or something. And my DH STOPPED the car, turned around and said:

"Yeah? Well, at least he's OUT there MOVING his butt. And you just SIT on yours all DAY. Maybe YOU should get out there sometime. It's not like YOU'RE doing anything...so STFU..."

And my DH started the car back up and we all went to lunch. Never heard ANY stupid remarks from any of the guys ever again!

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 07-17-2009 at 03:14 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 05:33 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Thanks everyone for posting, it's nice to hear I'm not alone in this.. because being overweight makes me feel alone. Definitely given some things to think about, and I guess it bothers me to hear people call me fat because I haven't fully accepted it. Like I'm somehow in denial about the obvious. I was also teased endlessly when I was in grade 8 about my weight, when I was a normal weight. I really had to pull all my strength together and I went to the principle after nothing was done to stop them. I threatened to place sexual harassment charges, and everyone but one boy stopped. I don't want to fight that hard, I feel immature saying this.. but I just want to fit in. I don't think it'll ever happen, because we all have something that sets up apart.

I went for a walk today, with earphones. But I still went!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:00 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 249/189/155

lottie63 said:

Quote:
I decided a long time ago that I'm not going to let a complete stranger who will never think of that moment again, have that much power of me and my life.
This really resonated with me! I've thought the same thing in the past when I've run into similar situations - I always think something like, "It happened, let's move on, I'm not going to give that person the satisfaction of having their comment ruin my day." Of course it's hurtful, but the most helpful coping mechanism for me has been to stubbornly repeat something like that to myself.
Jessers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:02 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 74.4kg/58.8kg/54kg

Height: 161cm/5ft 3 1/2 in

That`s rotten and always hard to brush off - for me anyway. Inthe next moment, however, I`ll think "I`ll show you!" It hurts terribly, but in a way, it also spurs me on to make sure that it will stop, for good.
Stella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:04 PM   #28  
Never surrender

S/C/G: 251 current/237 minigoal/180

Height: 5' 9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lila Leeds View Post
Yeah, I thought a wry witty comeback would have been lost on them. I don't swear very often, but sometimes in the right context a carefully placed F word is entirely appropriate.
a woman after my Brooklyn heart! more F bombs per square foot here than any other place in the world, I'd wager.

you're really cute, Amy, and you have a sweet heart. like everyone else here has said, that kind of as*holicness is not fun to deal with. and it sucks when it comes at a time when you feel especially vulnerable. curse him out in your head a bunch of times, (if it's past the point you can do it to his face, heh heh)
dragonwoman64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:21 PM   #29  
In it to win it!!

S/C/G: 312/ticker/150

Height: 5ft 3in

Yeah it happened to me too. I had a teenage boy say to me "Move it fat a**!!!" like I was taking up the whole sidewalk (he was slowly passing on his bike) I said "Thanks for noticing my fat a** do you like it?!" He was blushing and obviously was embarrassed!! Oh well.
Vivian27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 08:53 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivian27 View Post
Yeah it happened to me too. I had a teenage boy say to me "Move it fat a**!!!" like I was taking up the whole sidewalk (he was slowly passing on his bike) I said "Thanks for noticing my fat a** do you like it?!" He was blushing and obviously was embarrassed!! Oh well.
That was fabulous!
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote