Old 07-01-2009, 02:22 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 312/ticker/160

Height: 5'8

Default ? about swelling

When I go on a long car ride my feet and ankles swell terrible. It has only happened twice once was two yrs ago on a trip from wisconsin to missouri and then just about a month ago from wisconsin to colorado. But thats the only times. well I started walking and my hands started swelling and feel tight while I walk. Then tonight my Hubby and I played tennis (we are beginners it was more like chasing the ball around) for about 2 hours and my left hand swelled so bad I had to take my wedding ring off it was way to tight and normally its so lose I worry about it sliding off. I hold the racket in my right hand and it did not swell. Anyone have any idea why? Should I be concerned? I am 33 and no health problems other then obesity Thanks Kel
babyfattimes3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 06:18 AM   #2  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

It would be sensible to check it out with the doctor.

I've always had a bit of a tendency to swollen ankles on long trips, also swollen fingers, slightly, if I go on a long walk. I think an element of that is almost natural but recently, in my case, it was associated with high blood pressure, for which I now take meds.

Curiously, I'm having an incredible water whoosh at the minute, and my ankles, which still tend to be a bit puffy at the end of the day, are now bony, like they used to be 20 years ago! It's like I'm losing 20 years' fluid retention all at once!

Can't hurt to get it checked though.
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:48 AM   #3  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

I'm almost 32 and when I was first out walking my fingers swelled terribly. I could only bend them partially.

And a couple of summers ago, and I still notice a bit of a tendency now, my feet swelled up something awful and I had to stay home from work for days and days. They did have a name for it -- erthym????

I'm sorry I don't have any medical insights, other than to tell you I'm around the same age and also get swelling. I do have PCOS, but I don't think that's a factor. It doesn't really worry me yet, but if you're concerned you should ask your doctor.

Last edited by chickiegirl; 07-01-2009 at 07:49 AM.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 07:53 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

It's not unusual for people's ankles and feet to swell when sitting for long periods, and it's not unusual for hands to get puffy after walking, because they hang at the sides of your body. That's probably also why your left hand swelled but your right hand didn't during tennis--you were using your right hand and arm differently.

But see your doc--just to make sure it's not because of some clinical condition.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:09 AM   #5  
Searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
It's not unusual for people's ankles and feet to swell when sitting for long periods, and it's not unusual for hands to get puffy after walking, because they hang at the sides of your body. That's probably also why your left hand swelled but your right hand didn't during tennis--you were using your right hand and arm differently.

But see your doc--just to make sure it's not because of some clinical condition.

Jay
I concur with what Jay said, and I too suffer from swelling in the hands with walking.
rochemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:12 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 273.5/251/245

Height: 5'8"

I have the same problem and am the same age. It has happened pretty well all of my life. In my case I was told me that was edema (water retention) which can be caused by lots of things.

WebMD has some good information on it as does diagnose-me.com.

Best of luck and get it checked out if you are at all concerned!
FutureFitChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2009, 08:20 AM   #7  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Both these things happen to me and have for years. I watch my salt intake for a day or two before traveling and that helps. Elevating your legs at night after you have traveled will help get rid of the fluid.

You may need your thyroid checked. I have hypothyroidism and it does cause edema (swelling). The times that I needed my medicine adjusted my edema had increased. I agree with the others that you should check with your doctor.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote