Old 06-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #1  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Default Can we talk about rewards?

I am from the old school that says I needn't be rewarded for weight loss. Notice I said "need not" and I didn't say "should not." I'm doing what needs to be done, well and good. That's reward in and of itself.

On the other hand, I just finished reading "Changing for Good" by James Prochaska. Based on research, he writes that self-changers help reenforce their new habits with rewards. Regular and consistent rewards help a person continue to take the action necessary to keep the change happening.

So, what are your thoughts? Should I be planning little rewards for myself? Or should I not worry about it? We are strapped financially at the moment...and I honestly don't really think I *need* them--but should I indulge anyway?

Where do you stand on this issue? If you do reward yourself--what do you do?
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 12:58 PM   #2  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

I say reward. As with anything in life -- your job, your relationship, etc -- you probably wouldn't keep with it if there wasn't something rewarding about it in some way (the Dr. Phil school).

I don't think rewards have to be big or expensive. Is there something you wanted to do but weren't able or too embarrassed because of your weight? A night out? A ride at an amusement park?

A new outfit or top from someplace like Wal-Mart can also be pretty economical.

I think some of the ladies have mentioned manicures, pedicures, that sort of thing too.

Reward Alana! You've worked hard and deserve a treat as you succeed!
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:01 PM   #3  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

I tend to buy myself what I want when I want it, so "things" as rewards do not really work for me. I am the kind of person who does nice things for myself when the mood strikes - I'm not likely to wait for something I want like getting my hair done or a pedicure by setting it as a goal. If I need it, I'm going to take care of it.

For me, the weight loss is a reward in itself. The easier movement, not getting tired doing ordinary things, loose clothing, and positive comments from friends are good incentives for me right now. Results are my reward for the hard work.
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 270/ticker/135

Height: 5'2

You can save money by rewarding yourself every 5-10lbs with some money in savings, then at a bigger loss(like25lbs or 50lbs) You will have enough for a nice top or outfit, but you won't have to break the bank every 10 lbs.
Mikayla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:19 PM   #5  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

I'm with CLCS, I'm the type if I want something I get it (hey, could that have gotten me to 300??? hahaha) and I don't think that things like bubble baths or books or haircuts are a reward, they're necessities!! So what I did was have a little piggy bank, and the money i WOULD have spent on fast food (breakfasts & lunch were pretty much staples in my old life) and subtract what I spent on "good food" and what's left goes into the piggy bank, and then I buy something ridiculous with it when I get enough! I normally wouldn't spent 80$ on a shower curtain, but i loved it and saved the money thru easy means so voila! it makes it kinda fun whatever works for YOU
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:22 PM   #6  
No Fear

S/C/G: 294.6/294.6/280

Height: 5''3

While I like rewards for anything. Seeing the scale go down & my clothes fitting looser is enough for me.

Last edited by Tracy; 06-15-2009 at 01:23 PM.
Tracy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:24 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 280-->150

Height: 5'7"

So far, my weightloss has been its own reward, and has boosted my confidence like nothing else. But I'm of the opinion that you should "use whatever works". I joined Three Chicks because I wanted to tackle this thing from every possible angle. And if rewards help even a little, I'm gonna use them!
Jo Kittibuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:26 PM   #8  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

I don't reward myself for weight loss. When I need or want new clothes, I buy them; I need my hair cut every three months, so I do that; when I want or need new beauty products, I buy them. To be honest, avoiding the feeling-like-utter-crap is pretty much all the motivation I need for healthy eating; and even one day or meal of minor indulgence is plenty of reminder about how THAT feels. My exercise and good sleep I do also because my body feels the need, not because I am "being good," so I see no reason to reward myself for that beyond the reward gained by actually doing it.

When I feel like the "weight loss thing" is too emotionally or mentally taxing, then I take a break from being obsessed with every detail of it for a while, and simply continue to make healthy choices.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:32 PM   #9  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

As long as it is NOT FOOD, a reward can be helpful now and then. But again, it must NOT involve food. A new item of clothing, an afternoon at the beach or at a park, renting a favorite movie.

But also, be sure that you don't stick a number on it. As in, "I will go to the beach when I weigh X." Make it geared more to staying on plan.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:33 PM   #10  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

I think acknowledging your successes along the way is important. If you don't say "Yah!!! I DID it!!!", then how will you feel good about what you are doing?

These acknowledgements (or rewards, if you like) don't have to financial in nature. Perhaps to me that is the difference between an acknowledgement and a reward. I don't set goals and then buy myself something when I get there. I don't think this is, for me, very healthy, because it makes me, well, goal obsessed. I'm not doing this for my health or sense of well-being, I'm doing it for the manicure at the end of x pounds. And if I DON'T get there, then I don't "deserve" the manicure. So this means that I am placing judgements on myself and deeming myself "worthy" or "unworthy" of treating myself well.

Acknowledgement of success for me is a different thing. I WILL post on 3FC if I meet a goal or did something particularly well. I WILL seek that positive reinforcement, with others who say "way to go" and pat me on the back. And this costs nothing. If I've had a particularly good work-out, I WILL acknowledge this by taking extra time in the bath -- it makes me feel good and relaxes my muscles and seems like a great way to acknowledge my success.

So I guess I acknowledge but don't reward!

Kira

Last edited by kiramira; 06-15-2009 at 01:34 PM.
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:41 PM   #11  
Once more, with feeling!

S/C/G: 235/ticker/135

Height: 5'4

I shamelessly bribe myself. But when I think about it, I'm usually rewarding myself for doing something fitness-related rather than weight loss. For example, I don't reward myself for losing 10lbs, but I do for meeting my monthly exercise-minutes goal.

I like rewarding myself with iTunes songs. Only $.99 (broke college student here!) and keeps the workout music fresh and jamming.

Other rewards I've used are pedicures, new workout gear, etc.
KnitALisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:48 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 292/T/160

Height: 5'8"

I have rewards planned for myself because I always have put myself on the back burner. Be it friends, family, my kids, job, church resposibilites... whatever, it has always came before LeeAnn. And, when I decided that I was truly ready to do this, I realized that my entire outlook on myself must change. In doing so, I have started putting myself on the list.

Just my personality does not allow me to go and buy for myself on a whim, so I had to do them as rewards. Initially, they were number related (when I lost the first 10% I get yada yada), but now they are rewards for sticking to plan. My first one will be for sticking to plan for two months (which will be July 11th! Yippee!).

I'm realizing more and more, that this isn't just about changing my body, but also changing myself and making me matter to me.
Momto2Ms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:59 PM   #13  
addicted.

S/C/G: 270/270/150

I haven't been rewarding myself for weight loss numbers...but have been trying to treat myself better in general. I have been making hair appts more regularly, trying to wear better clothing, and I even bought some new bras this weekend. The nice expensive ones.
Cinnamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #14  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Interesting responses so far--lots to think about.

Thanks everyone!
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 02:14 PM   #15  
Step away from the buffet

S/C/G: Hi294.4/Restart 276/ticker/180

Height: 5'10

I am motivated by rewards, but I have set them up to be things that I need anyway. I need a new pair of boots, so I found a really nice pair of Ariats that will be my 25# reward. I have wanted a western style purse for years, and my current purse is getting threadbare, so that will be my 50# reward. I am still thinking about my 75# and 100# rewards, but I am thinking clothes for 75 and maybe a new saddle for the horse for 100. At goal I am getting a new tattoo!

We are all different, if you don't need rewards, you should not feel obligated to buy something. But if you think it will motivate you, why not have some free/cheap rewards. Maybe instead of spending money you can ask someone close to you to do something nice for you. Not sure if you have a husband or kiddos, but if so maybe have dad watch the kids so you can have some free time. Or maybe plan a day with a good friend that you do not see very often (make sure it is not food centered, go for a hike or something!) To me, books are a treat so the library is my refuge when I am low on cash, that could be a reward too!

Wow, now I am feeling guilty that all my rewards are $$$$!

Last edited by Hello Nurse; 06-15-2009 at 02:14 PM.
Hello Nurse is offline   Reply With Quote