Old 06-17-2009, 11:48 AM   #31  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I think "the weight loss itself should be reward enough," is a false assumption. We generally think that way about a lot of long-term or delayed rewards, but the truth is that people who succeed at tasks with long-range or delayed payoffs, are more likely to give themselves short-term rewards (it may only be the warm glow of victory when losing weight, saving money, studying, or working towards other behaviors that have a delayed "pay-off").

In some way, the behavior has to be "worth the sacrifice." Keeping the goal in mind, is one way to remind us that the effort will eventually pay off, but it's not the only way. Sometimes little rewards and incentives make the difference when maybe some of us might suspect that the long term reward is unacheivable or might not be all we hope for - that's when short term rewards come in handy.

As someone who has always struggled with my weight, with more failure than success most of my life, I "know" that there are many rewards to being smaller - but I have no experience with long-term success. So, part of me wonders whether long-term success is even possible, but even if my head goes there, I have the short term reward as a back-up plan. When I can't see how the next few pounds are going to make a difference, and suspect that I might never be able to get to goal for all the reasons I gave up in the past, the short term reward is still there. It's a game, I play with myself, for many reasons, but the least of which is not becoming bored or impatient with the slow progress. Once I write down my next reward, the rule I set for myself is that I can't buy it or aquire that specific item for myself until I lose the weight, or have completed the exercise quota. It may seem silly or even pathetic that I'm likely to work harder for a specific book checked out at the library, than I can for the prospect of better physical and mental health, better social status and treatment, and the aesthetic benefit of looking better, finding clothes easier, and all of the benefits of being at a healthier and more attractive weight.

Short term rewards are the hallmark of overeating (mmm, this sure tastes good even though I know I'm going to pay for it later), so combating short term rewards with short term rewards is a logical choice - fighting fire with fire.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:02 PM   #32  
Ray of Sunshine

S/C/G: 243/241/140

Height: 5'4"

I shop too much to begin with so treats like clothes and 'stuff' as rewards just don't work for me. I do have something that I'm going to do when I get below 200... I'm going to go tree top ziplinng
http://www.alpinezipline.com/adventu...e-canopy-tour/

Right now, I'm heavy enough that I'm too close to the weight limit to want to risk it on their scale (they cap it at 250 for safety) and quite frankly I don't think I could bring myself to get in a ziplining harness at this weight. I think it will be very freeing when I get there.
YogaGal08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #33  
Starting over

S/C/G: 257.8/242.4/135

Height: 5' 5"

Kaplods, you are so wise. You obviously know yourself very, very well.
Quote:
It may seem silly or even pathetic that I'm likely to work harder for a specific book checked out at the library, than.....
So, please don't say it's silly or pathetic! Not at all. No, no, no.

Short term rewards seem to work for a lot of you. For some it's tied to taking action to treat yourselves better than you have in the past.

Some of you don't do it because it would put too much pressure on yourself, you buy stuff for yourself whenever you want, and for some of you it sets up the wrong mind-set of "derserving vs, not-deserving.

It's a fascinating cross section of responses from a group of really thoughtful people--you all know yourself well and what will work for YOU!

I'm not sure what will work for me. We are really behind the eight ball when it comes to finances right now: so much so that I can't justify even a nail polish which costs less than $5--not if I'm going to spoil myself with fresh peaches and strawberries which is more important!

Thank you all so much.
Alana in Canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 01:59 PM   #34  
banned

S/C/G: 190/114/125

Height: 5'3"

I just rewarded myself with a brand new swimsuit. This is not an easy task the way I am shaped. I cannot go into a store and just buy one. I pulled out all my suits from last summer (size 18W) and they literally fell off me everywhere (not that I am upset by this). I went to Walmart and bought a tankini thinking I could judge the fit without trying it on, LOL The bottoms were an 8 and they were too big, the top was a 12 and it was too big except for the part that is supposed to cover the "girls"......there was not enough material there to cover the nipples, LOL So in desperation I ordered a swim mini (little skirt with panties) in a size 6 and a tankini top with DD cups in a size 8 from LandsEnd. Got it today and woohoo it fits perfect!!! I've never felt or looked so good in a swimsuit in my life! This is gonna be a great summer! Sorry this is so long, I am just not used to being confident in a swimsuit.
TamiL is offline   Reply With Quote