Old 06-15-2009, 03:01 PM   #1  

Height: 4'11"

Default Day 20

Yesterday was my 20th day without junk food. I really miss it. I'm NOT going to give into my longing, because truthfully the anticipation was always better than the actual junk. But on days like today when the kids are driving me round the bend (which they usually don't-- I normally love being with them) I could really use some sugar to soothe me.

Anyhow, it's best if I just don't think about it.

I've lost 2 lbs over the past 3 weeks, not changing anything else about my eating. Not bad, but I had hoped my loss would be greater. I guess I need to think about the next modifications I need to make. Any suggestions as to what I should do next? I do get regular exercise, so I'm doing alright in that department, not ready to kick that up a notch just yet. My diet is mainly whole foods now, I don't eat many pre-packaged foods. I could probably cut my carbs some, even though they are whole wheat. I could also probably stand to cut my fats. Or drink more water and less diet soda.

What do you think?
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:03 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

If you're eating mostly whole foods and not a lot of processed foods, your fats are probably just fine. Good fat isn't evil, it's necessary! I actually struggle to make sure I'm eating enough healthy fat every day.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:06 PM   #3  
Never want to go back!

S/C/G: 338.4/190.8/165

Height: 6 ft

Congrats on the 20 days!!

What about taking a week to figure out how many calories you are eating? It sounds like you are eating well, so maybe weighing/measuring your food being very honest with yourself about everything. It may help you identify the things that you could most easily modify to help kick your weight loss into gear.

Still, remember 2 pounds is better than a gain or no loss at all!
CLCSC145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:19 PM   #4  
Live with Intention

S/C/G: 260.6/see ticker/160

The only way to know for sure how much your eating is to track your calories diligently. No matter what plan you chose to follow bottom line is that it's about calories in vs. calories out.

As to missing junk food, I find for myself that finding alternatives instead of deprivation is the key. For instance I love sweet popcorn and now make my own with Splenda, cinnamon, and a little butter spray. It's a much better alternative to Crunch and Munch and taste terrific!
Pita09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:27 PM   #5  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

Two pounds a week is great! Maybe you don't need to change anything if you are continuing to lose! Just a thought....
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #6  
Metric Member

S/C/G: 140/120.3/90kg

Height: 163cm (5' 4")

It sounds like you need to come up with some way of rewarding or comforting yourself that doesn't have calories. You need to find yourself a new treat that fulfills that "I deserve this" corner in your brain.

I use tea, lots and lots of posh herbal tea in my snoopy tea pot, and also diet soda - it's got no nutritional value, so I only drink it for a treat. I also sometimes go and get a cappucino instead of my usual coffee, or hire some dvd's and spend the night on the couch. You can also plan a small treat of say 100cal everyday - some people find that useful, personally it doesn't work for me. Or maybe stick the kids in front of the tv and go and have a few minutes alone. Or call up your mum and have a rant. Anything that makes you feel like you are treating yourself well.

Good luck.
Couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:14 PM   #7  
Right foot, left foot ...

S/C/G: 285.4/262/170

Height: 5'11"

I was just looking at your junk food count on your signature a while ago and thinking -- wow, she's made it 20 days.

Big congrats on that thinpossible, it's quite an accomplishment!

As for next steps, a few thoughts. Is the whole wheat whole grain (a step up that will help keep things moving -- thus losing -- if you know what I mean)? Are your meats lean enough? Do you have a lot of deli meats or other foods high in sodium? Are you getting enough veggies?

With exercise and whole foods in place, those would be the basic questions for me. And 1.5 pounds a week is very respectable -- right in the healthy range to be dropping. So although it may seem slow now, it'll add up fast enough.
chickiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 11:17 AM   #8  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glory87 View Post
If you're eating mostly whole foods and not a lot of processed foods, your fats are probably just fine. Good fat isn't evil, it's necessary! I actually struggle to make sure I'm eating enough healthy fat every day.
Well I've been heavy on the nuts lately, since it seems to curb the sugar cravings so although I'm not specifically counting my fats, I'm almost sure I'm eating too much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CLCSC145 View Post
Congrats on the 20 days!!

What about taking a week to figure out how many calories you are eating? It sounds like you are eating well, so maybe weighing/measuring your food being very honest with yourself about everything. It may help you identify the things that you could most easily modify to help kick your weight loss into gear.

Still, remember 2 pounds is better than a gain or no loss at all!
Yeah, I think loggin my calories would probably be the best next step.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pita09 View Post
The only way to know for sure how much your eating is to track your calories diligently. No matter what plan you chose to follow bottom line is that it's about calories in vs. calories out.

As to missing junk food, I find for myself that finding alternatives instead of deprivation is the key. For instance I love sweet popcorn and now make my own with Splenda, cinnamon, and a little butter spray. It's a much better alternative to Crunch and Munch and taste terrific!
I have to be careful about sugar free substitutes. Sometimes they're a slippery slope, and I don't want to slide back into the sugar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickiegirl View Post
I was just looking at your junk food count on your signature a while ago and thinking -- wow, she's made it 20 days.

Big congrats on that thinpossible, it's quite an accomplishment!

As for next steps, a few thoughts. Is the whole wheat whole grain (a step up that will help keep things moving -- thus losing -- if you know what I mean)? Are your meats lean enough? Do you have a lot of deli meats or other foods high in sodium? Are you getting enough veggies?

With exercise and whole foods in place, those would be the basic questions for me. And 1.5 pounds a week is very respectable -- right in the healthy range to be dropping. So although it may seem slow now, it'll add up fast enough.
Yes, I do get plenty of fiber, though not enough veggies, I really don't like them, and only manage about 2 servings a day. I mainly eat lean ground turkey, occasionally I'll have dark meat chicken or fish, and about once every 6 months I'll eat beef. I don't eat much processed foods like deli meats or things that come from boxes, although I do love the gourmet soups they sell at the deli in King Sooper, I only have about one serving a week because they're loaded with sodium. We eat out about once a week. Occasionally twice a week because I struggle with depression and sometimes I just don't want to cook another meal (DH doesn't cook).
Old 06-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #9  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Holy cow, ThinPossible --- 21 days is AWESOME!

I know how hard this is and how those darn craving can sneak up on you in the middle of the kitchen, bash you over the head with a oven mitt and have you stashed in the car and on your way to JunkFoodPlaza in a flash! You are ROCKING in this personal challenge of yours!

The very first place I tend to get off-plan is in portion sizes, so if you have a similar tendency, you might want to look there. And using one of the various calorie calculators just to see where you are hitting on a day-to-day basis can be pretty darn illuminating (at least, it was for me!) Don't worry, you will figure it out --- I can feel the determination all the way over here on the other side of the terminal!

Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:41 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 332/270/160

Height: 5"7'

You are doing so great! I'm so happy for you!
SnowboundChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:50 PM   #11  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

20 days is just wonderful. WONDERFUL!!!

Nuts are very yummy. And they're healthy - in moderation. They are VERY caloric and really can't be eaten mindlessly. You can get into as much trouble with them as you could with potato chips - or sugar laden foods. The only way I ever eat nuts is chopped up in a salad or some other recipe. This way I don't overeat them. For me, they can not be snack food.

And yes, like the others have said - I think it may be time to track those calories. You're working hard anyway - just a bit harder and you'll really see some sensational results!

I know for me, eating healthy foods ALONE never ever worked. I needed/still need the accountability and forced portion control that counting calories provides. It is the only thing that keeps my eating in check.

As far as soups - make your own! They're delicious and healthy and most freeze beautifully. You can make a big batch and have it for a long time.

And on the veggies front - OMG - there are soooo many veggies out there and sooo many different ways of preparing them. I urge you to experiment and be creative and find different methods of cooking them.

Getting back to the calorie counting, it may seem daunting at first, but like anything - once we get used to it - it's easy shmeazy. Really it is. And it can get you closer to your goals. Which is a wonderful thing.

Keep up the good work and I think it's great that you're looking for ways to improve.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 02:28 PM   #12  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numina View Post
Holy cow, ThinPossible --- 21 days is AWESOME!

I know how hard this is and how those darn craving can sneak up on you in the middle of the kitchen, bash you over the head with a oven mitt and have you stashed in the car and on your way to JunkFoodPlaza in a flash! You are ROCKING in this personal challenge of yours!

The very first place I tend to get off-plan is in portion sizes, so if you have a similar tendency, you might want to look there. And using one of the various calorie calculators just to see where you are hitting on a day-to-day basis can be pretty darn illuminating (at least, it was for me!) Don't worry, you will figure it out --- I can feel the determination all the way over here on the other side of the terminal!

Yep, I usually try to eat my meals on salad plates, w/ no seconds, but I have given myself some leeway during the first few weeks of kicking the sugar. I do need to watch the portions, so thanks for the reminder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrobin View Post
20 days is just wonderful. WONDERFUL!!!

Nuts are very yummy. And they're healthy - in moderation. They are VERY caloric and really can't be eaten mindlessly. You can get into as much trouble with them as you could with potato chips - or sugar laden foods. The only way I ever eat nuts is chopped up in a salad or some other recipe. This way I don't overeat them. For me, they can not be snack food.

And yes, like the others have said - I think it may be time to track those calories. You're working hard anyway - just a bit harder and you'll really see some sensational results!

I know for me, eating healthy foods ALONE never ever worked. I needed/still need the accountability and forced portion control that counting calories provides. It is the only thing that keeps my eating in check.

As far as soups - make your own! They're delicious and healthy and most freeze beautifully. You can make a big batch and have it for a long time.

And on the veggies front - OMG - there are soooo many veggies out there and sooo many different ways of preparing them. I urge you to experiment and be creative and find different methods of cooking them.

Getting back to the calorie counting, it may seem daunting at first, but like anything - once we get used to it - it's easy shmeazy. Really it is. And it can get you closer to your goals. Which is a wonderful thing.

Keep up the good work and I think it's great that you're looking for ways to improve.
Yeah, I know I do need to count my calories. I have done it in the past and really it's not much trouble. I just thought I would concentrate on one thing at a time, and since I'm over the major hump with sugar, I will start being more conscientious, cut out the nuts, etc.

Thanks for the encouragement everyone!

Last edited by thinpossible; 06-16-2009 at 02:29 PM.
Old 06-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #13  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

I think concentrating on one thing at a time is really smart! It is obviously working for you and that way, you are making one PERMANENT change at a time. Once you have Area A under control, you can move on to Area B. It really makes a lot of sense!

(Watch out for that Area 51, though, ok?)

Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 04:28 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numina View Post

(Watch out for that Area 51, though, ok?)

Old 06-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #15  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

You'll be at 30 days in no time. Congratulations. Take Baby steps. You're doing great!
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote