Old 06-13-2009, 05:46 PM   #16  
Not so starving student

S/C/G: 152.3/ticker/130

Height: 5'4"

Men are incredibly dense beings who really need things spelled out for them. Working out is a good excuse for "alone time" however. Good luck with your walking! To get new shoes I'd go to a local running store. They'll look at your feet and help you pick a good pair of shoes. My feet turn in when I walk or run, which I never knew, and now I have shoes to correct the problem.
rosekeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #17  

Height: 5'5"

Yay for walking a mile - especially in 88 degree weather. Just wanted to add - my husband is supportive in the ways he knows how to be. I used to want him to be supportive in very specific ways - and spell out to him exactly what that looked like to me - but he didn't really seem to get it even then. It wasn't until I understood that his eating well doesn't look like my eating well, and his exercise doesn't look like my exercise that I made peace with it. We are planning on playing tennis tonight - his exercise form, but doesn't burn enough calories fast enough the way we play it to work for me - but I informed him I needed an hour to go run before we played. The bottom line is you found a way for him to be supportive, and it worked for both of you! Congratulations!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:45 PM   #18  
Closed

S/C/G: 244/165/137

Height: 5' 7"

Good for you! Guys just don't get the hint, LOTS of time. I have to spell it out in capital letters and then do shadow puppets on the wall before DH twigs onto what I am saying. Typical conversation:
Me: Hon, I'm going to yoga. Do we need any groceries?
DH: Umm...it's 10 am.
Me: I KNOW. Do we need any groceries?
DH: For what?
Me: For dinner! Do we need any groceries?
DH: Aren't you going to yoga?
Me: ARGHH!!! """stomp to the fridge"""stomp back"""(hmm, we need salad fixings...)OK, I'm off!
DH: OH, could you pick up some salad fixings for dinner on the way home???

THIS is a typical day!

You handled it AWESOMELY!!!

Kira
kiramira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2009, 09:49 PM   #19  
A Turtle loser

S/C/G: 254/239/200

Yeah!!! glad you worked it out!! I bet you feel closer and strong too.
Michelle1210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:38 AM   #20  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

Height: 5'6"

**Side note to Kira: I think I've had that same conversation in my house.**

Yep, I think that men need it spelled out. They don't think the same way we do, for sure.
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2009, 11:55 AM   #21  
Getting Started

S/C/G: 275/257/145

Height: 5'6"

Thanks girls for all the supportive. I absolutely agree that it is my responsibility to work out, just as its mine to choose what I eat. I know my husband works very hard during the week, a physically demanding job. He told me he just wants to relax on the weekend..

I think in the end I'll feel an even greater sense of pride and accomplishment knowing I was able to do it on my own. I'm grateful that he doesn't mind watching the kids so I can have my exercise time. I know my getting healthy is just as important to him as it is to me. He just shows it differently.
mel hughes is offline   Reply With Quote