Old 05-06-2009, 07:38 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

Default Exercising when sick?

Do you or don't you?

I don't want to get knocked off of my exercising routine again but I am alternating between stuffy/runny nose, a bit of a cough, a bit of an irritated throat... nothing major but enough to feel like I am running in slow motion. I am tired and VERY blah.

I went Monday, mostly because I thought this was just allergies. I know better now. I feel a tad bit crummier then Monday, but again, not horrible.

I was thinking if I stuck to the circuit training stuff and avoided the cardio, I'd be okay. I am too congested for cardio. Of course, even if I sanatize all the machines after I use them is that really fair to everyone else at the gym?

I really don't want to stop. I had a bad week last week and I want to see a decent loss at my next weigh in. What do you do about exercise when you feel cruddy? Is it true I can make myself sicker if I go and overexert myself? What do you guys think?
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:28 AM   #2  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I have not exercised (other than housework yesterday) for three days because I felt so incredibly like poo. I did have a high fever though and could barely get off the couch... just a snuffy nose and cough would scale me back but I think I'd maybe get out for a walk and take it a bit easier.
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:37 AM   #3  
tamIam

S/C/G: size16/size14/size10

Height: 5'7"

Good Morning Sarah!
Nice job on staying motivated to keep moving.
#1 It might be just me, but I would personally avoid the gym for the sake of other people. It's very considerate of you to think of how your cold will affect others.
#2 Maybe you could go for some outside exercise or work out around the house. You could check out some 'on demand' programs on TV or you tube some yoga or something? That way you don't have to worry about getting to the gym and feeling too crummy to get a good work out?
Anyways feel better!
T
greeneggsandtam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #4  
yay! summertime!

S/C/G: 265/235/135

Height: 5'7"

Hey, IrishSarah!

Sorry you are feeling crappy. I am impressed that you are even thinking about exercise while you are sick --- go, you! My uneducated guess is that you should stay moving, but keep everything pretty low-key (drinking lots of fluids) and allow your body to rest and recuperate. You don't want your enduring love of exercise to turn this into an enduring cold or flu!

Hope you feel better soon, Sarah!

Numina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 12:12 PM   #5  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

I have been out of ANY activity for a week...ugh. I keep trying, for 5 minutes, going into a coughing fit and having to sit down, which I consider my body's way of saying "not yet, dearie". I would definitely not go to the gym because of the cross-infection issue. Why not take a nice walk outside to get things moving?
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 06:12 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

Thanks. It is raining cats and dogs, so I don't think a walk is a good idea. I don't want to get anyone else sick....

The gym is open until 10:00pm...

Oh crap. The baby is up and he is SOAKED! Husband left the bottle in his crib. Grrrrrrrr....now I have to change the sheets...AGAIN!!!!!!

Changing sheets is exercise isn't it? The beds are upstairs, the washer in the basement. 5 beds+1 crib has to equal someexercise.

We'll see....
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2009, 10:29 PM   #7  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

I find that I recuperate faster if I stick to my workouts during illness as long as there isn't a fever. Especially if I have head congestion, the movement helps my sinuses drain.
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote