Old 04-29-2009, 07:09 AM   #16  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime
The only thing missing was the defibrilator.

I saw those breadbowl ads too. I thought it looked really yummy. Of course! That's what an ad is supposed to show. Would I eat one? No way.

We have a choice about what we eat. If I'm going to eat 1000 calories in one meal, it is going to be a d***ed good meal! Not crap from a pizza place.

Jay

Last edited by JayEll; 04-29-2009 at 07:09 AM.
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 07:10 AM   #17  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

The first time I heard an advertisement for that bread bowl, they were touting it as "environmentally" friendly as there would be no trash to dispose of. My thirst thought was "save the earth and kill yourself." How ironic is that? It's like they were trying to convince the masses that they actually cared about something other than the almight dollar.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:22 AM   #18  
Serious Ju Ju!

S/C/G: 260/see ticker /175

Height: 5 10 ( I hate being taller than all the cute guys!!!)

Here's a link to the nutritional info on this carb and calorie nightmare. Not only does it look gross, but the stats on it are gross too.

www.yumyucky.com/All%20Pasta%20Combined.pdf

Last edited by seashell; 04-29-2009 at 08:26 AM.
seashell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:02 AM   #19  

S/C/G: 201/198.6/140

Height: 5'4"

Wow, I'm shocked that it's "only" 700 calories! I would have thought it was a lot more. But yeah, the stats are gross - yowza the sodium!! I'd be retaining water for weeks.

And yeah those KFC concoctions are just scary...I always wonder what they'll come up with next. Ewww!!
sept15lija is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:06 AM   #20  

S/C/G: 272/ticker/145

Height: 5'9

It's not only 700 calories though! There are 2 servings per breadbowl!! That is ridiculous...they make their nutrition stats look lower by upping the number of servings. That could be someone's whole caloric allotment for the day...right there in one breadbowl...ick.
foxxy511 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 09:15 AM   #21  
Shairing her ESH...

S/C/G: 350/321/TBD

Height: 5'6"

Why on earth do they think this is a good idea??? I don't get it.

As for diet soda....I save that for special occasions, like when I am out with friends having a rum and diet coke.

Pepsi Throwback? Glad I didn't hear about this one BEFORE I gave up sugar! LOL
Jen415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:13 AM   #22  
Workin' It

I actually drank a Pepsi Throwback last night. I haven't given up sugar, I just don't have a lot of it, and I have maybe one soda every couple of months. Sometimes that soda is a diet, sometimes it isn't. I budgeted the calories in for the day, and afterward I didn't find myself snacky like I often am after a diet soda. I liked it, would probably do it again with the proper planning. They also have a Mountain Dew throwback, that one I'll skip.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:17 AM   #23  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

While I think that it is a terrible product, I don't like the idea of the USA having food police. But why aren't they required to have food labels like packaged products we buy in the grocery store? Sometimes you have to go to extraordinary measures to get the nutritional information. When I walk into a restaurant, I want to know what I am getting even if I did not have time to search it out on their Web site. At the very least, be able to hand me a paper copy of the nutritional information. A warning label like is on cigarette packages seems appropriate also.

A few years ago, Ruby Tuesday's added the nutritional information for every item they serve to the description on the menu. It did not take long before they replaced that menu because they said that it hurt business. When people saw that they were ordering a dish with 1500 calories they thought twice..... as they should. If all restaurants had to add the nutritional information to the menu, I think it could make a difference.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:27 AM   #24  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime View Post
This is how I felt about some horrible thing that KFC was selling. It was a bowl filled with mashed potatoes, topped with fried chicken chunks, corn, and then smothered in gravy. The only thing missing was the defibrilator.
sure it has buttery instaflake-style mashed potatoes, sweet kernel corn, KFC's signature artery-clogging gravy, KFC's equally fat-tastic popcorn chicken, but you forgot that it's all topped off with three kinds of melted cheese!! OMG can you say heart attack in a bowl!!! BUT their poutine is even worse!!! (fat and calorie wise) I've never even tried poutine, it sounds revolting even to the fatty me LOL

But as revolting and unhealthy as it is, I do NOT think the government should regulate what people can eat. If someone wants that as a day's calories so be it, it's not up to me to decide for anyone else! I DO however, think a very specific LABEL on everything should be a matter of course.

Last edited by Trazey34; 04-29-2009 at 10:30 AM.
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 10:43 AM   #25  

Height: 4'11"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windchime
The only thing missing was the defibrilator.

I don't think food should be regulated, if people want to eat that crap at their own risk, have at it! But I do think it would be nice if corporations made an effort to be health conscious, and at least pretend like they cared about our health instead of only caring about the bottom line. If there are any genies reading this thread, I wouldn't mind having a million dollars deposited in my bank account either
thinpossible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:14 AM   #26  
Diane

S/C/G: 294/258.0/180

The one good thing I saw (I think) is that KFC came out with grilled chicken. Now, I have not tried it or checked into it because I would just as soon grill my own chicken, but I wondered about it. I can't tell from the ads if the skin is left on, or how much "seasoning" they add.

Crazy stuff! We all have to be careful and watch out for ourselves!!
Slashnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:17 AM   #27  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Food manufacturer's and restaurants are in the business of selling food, and they make what they know they can sell. They don't make "healthy" food, because it doesn't sell well. More people say they want healthy options, than will purchase the healthier options. Anyone remember the McLean Deluxe at McDonald's - one of the biggest flops in fast food history?

In our area, salad bars have become an endangered species (or are filled with mayonaise-based prepared salads, and barely edible iceberg lettuce).

I think the changes have to come from the bottom up. When consumers demand (and buy) healthy options, we'll see more offered, but as long as most of the market says they want healthy, but only buys unhealthy - unhealthy will win out.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:17 AM   #28  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Whatever sells is what they will make. If people demanded more healthy foods, then that is what manufacturers would sell.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 11:36 AM   #29  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Quote:
Diane originally posted
The one good thing I saw (I think) is that KFC came out with grilled chicken. Now, I have not tried it or checked into it because I would just as soon grill my own chicken, but I wondered about it. I can't tell from the ads if the skin is left on, or how much "seasoning" they add.
I tried the chicken breast and liked it. There was some skin on it but not much. It looked like they had tried to remove it but missed some. It had a smoky flavor. It was much drier than the fried version but not too dry. They had posted pictures of plates to suggest a healthy meal with the grilled chicken, green beans and corn on the cob. I will get it again, especially when traveling.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 12:10 PM   #30  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/150

Height: 5ft 4 inches

I never thought those KFC bowls looked healthy! My husband with the metabolism of light speed, eats them.
I am curious about the grilled chicken. I may try that out sometime.

The bread bowls...ACK! A few months ago, I might have really wanted to try it. Now, no way!

The topic of sugar was sorta touched upon so I am going to add my 2 cents and then run for the hills...

For the LIFE of me, I can not figure out who decided making some chemical concoction to take the place of sugar was a GOOD idea. Nutrasweet, Saccharin, high fructose corn syrup...are you kidding me? Sugar is natural, it comes from a plant. You can get it in a very non processed version and in moderation there is not a single thing wrong with it. (The exception being of course, those with diabetes, this is not meant for them though.) The closer something is to its natural state, the better it is for our bodies, so why replace sugar with something made in a lab? Our bodies are not designed for that! My thought is that because most people have not learned the word "moderation", science thought it was doing us a favour, that is the only thing that makes sense to me.
I can not have even a DROP of Nutrasweet, not a granule, not a sip of diet pop, nada or I get a KILLER migraine. I don't have that problem with sugar. I have talked to people who have told me that they used to get headaches from artificial sweeteners but after they got used to it, they went away.

AFTER THEY GOT USED TO IT?! Are you kidding me? Is 16 calories per teaspoon worth that?
My aunt and uncle have PH.Ds in Chemistry and if I wasn't convinced before not to use that stuff, I was after talking to them.

To be fair, I am neutral on Splenda. I don't know enough about it to come out for or against it. I do know that I have consumed Splenda without a problem, but I don't go out of my way to use it either.

I know this isn't a very popular opinion but it has always bothered me. I am gonna go hide for awhile now.
irishsarah is offline   Reply With Quote