Old 04-19-2009, 09:41 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 226/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Default How often do you weigh yourself?

I know this has probably been discussed but I didn't find a thread on it.

I weigh myself at least once everyday. I can't help it. It's like an addiction. Very often I weigh myself in the morning and before bed. I think it's good and bad. It's good that it keeps me focused and bad that I rely on it.

I update my ticker each time it's lower too. I like to see my lower number and by doing that and seeing it, it makes me want to keep going.

Am I just crazy? lol

How often do you weigh yourself?

Last edited by Crazy4Kenny; 04-19-2009 at 10:10 AM.
Crazy4Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 09:48 AM   #2  
rainy

I live a scale-free life since I was addicted to weighting, and, my personal opinion, I find that weighting everyday only adds up with stress and it may slow down your slimming, like it was for me.
I weight *occasionally* (that means not more than twice per month and anyways not regularly) when I notice my clothes are loose and want to track the progress in numbers too.
But my main method to track the progress is a rank of clothes I made, knowing which are smaller and which are bigger, that used to fit me in the past. I try on the outfit that is on my next step about once a week till I fit in, then I move to another outfit, on a higher step.
Old 04-19-2009, 10:01 AM   #3  
Happy Plodder

S/C/G: 238/158.9/138

Height: 5'2"

I vary.
When I first start a diet, I weigh daily, to make sure I'm heading in the right direction.
Then I move to weekly - less than that and I can't guarantee motivation.
When I get close to a signficant number, like when I was breaking into the 190s recently, I weigh daily again.
I only ever weigh once in a day though, after breakfast, which means after bathroom, no clothes (just an audience of surprised looking dogs). That's when I'm lightest. If I weighed during the rest of the day, I'd be subracting clothes-weight in my head plus the weight of the sandwich I just ate and so on.

It's that medium between accountability and obsession that we all need to find!
Rosinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:20 AM   #4  
Loving life!!

S/C/G: 360/159/145

Height: 5' 8"

I weigh every morning but only record my weight on my official WI day....which is Saturday Not everyone obsesses over it when they WI every day. It's gotten me to really think about what I do eat and I'm truly amazed on how human bodies work. As long as you keep it in perspective that no one's weight loss is totally linear and it's normal to have the scale go up and down on a daily basis then it's all good!
TJFitnessDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:28 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 170/169/130

Height: 5'5

I try to weigh in every day. I have to, or else I can't keep myself motivated to keep going. It becomes too easy to cheat, and get onto that slippery slope that has me gaining 10 pounds.
butterflyangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:44 AM   #6  
Takin it 1 day at a time

S/C/G: 200/165/130

Height: 5' 6"

I weigh myself almost everyday, but I too only keep a log of the weight once a week.

It can be a bit frustrating looking at the scale everyday - it seems to have no rhyme or reason sometimes. The darn thing will go up by 2 pounds one day - then down 3 the next. I don't know why I do that to myself
debbies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:45 AM   #7  
WW on-line since 1/1/2009

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'5"

In my experience, I can only weigh once a week or I get completely OCD about it. Once upon a time, I had a pretty serious eating disorder and it wasn't unusual for me to weigh myself up to ten times per day. Even when I'd have my "official" weigh-ins back in those days, I had a very specific ritual: I would have to weigh completely naked, after I used the restroom, the first thing in the morning. I had to take a certain number of breaths before I stepped on the scale and stand a certain way. I had to weigh myself until I got the same weight three times in a row on my digital scale. It was (almost literally) insanity.

Now that I'm in a much better frame of mind re: weight loss, I know that I can only weigh myself once a week, ONE time, period.

Don't let the scale run your life.
Jennelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #8  
Amazing will be me

get some digital scales.
I weigh myself weekly , but can never resist the temptation to jump on now and then. I think if it gives you extra motivation to keep going and as long as its not to over the top then why not.
lucky8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:50 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 280-->150

Height: 5'7"

I weigh pretty much every time I go into the bathroom. It's become a bit obsessive, I'll admit. At first my day's happiness depended on those numbers, but watching the crazy ups and downs have calmed me. Now, it's just a way to keep track of how my body's behaving.

I imagine if I went to weighing once a week, my emotions would once more revolve around those numbers. Don't want that, it's quite demotivating to me.
Jo Kittibuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:53 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 255/see ticker/130

Height: 5'4

Everyday in the morning.
althepirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 10:58 AM   #11  
Keep on going!

S/C/G: 278.3/see ticker/135

Height: 5'5

thats exactly how I am lol .. I try not to more than once a day , but a lot of time ill weigh at night too
really does help me though to stay motivated
alsten02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:29 AM   #12  
Happy Camper

S/C/G: 274/264/220 then re-eval

Height: 6'2"

Every morning, after potty break and before anything else. My *official* day is Saturday and that's the day that i share my weight with others but i track it every day on my iTouch. I find some comfort in the slight ups & downs. Makes me realize it's not cut & dry.
barefootnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:42 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 243/142/120

Height: 5'2"

I weigh twice a day. In the moring it's for motivation to stay on plan for the day and when I get home from work it is for a sanity check. Generally if I weight the same or within 1 pound of my morning weight before dinner then I will be ok the next morning. Interestingly though my body is changing its behavior the last couple of weeks. I have been struggling to firmly stay in onederland. Two Friday's ago I woke up to great progress after an up and down week. I was so excited. Then I watched the entire weeks loss slip away over the weekend, all while staying on plan. Monday morning is my official weigh in day and it was a real bummer. Fast forward to this last Friday, same exact story. At least this time I was expecting it. I was 195.6 Friday and I got on and off the scale about 10 times to be sure. Saturday it was 196.6 and this morning 199, ouch.

So here is my plan.... I am changing my weigh in date to Friday! It's just a mental trick, but the feeling I have had the last 2 Friday's is so great that I figure it will be a great motivator. At least temporarily.

I am going to try the once a week weigh in thing in May. We will see if I can actually do it. It is harder for me to stay off the scale than it is to stay on plan.
Blackie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:53 AM   #14  
300+ Chick

Was a daily scale nut,used to weigh 3 x a day.

Now, since my scale does not work..I get weighed monthly at the medical doctor and focusing on inches.
Liliann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 12:41 PM   #15  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

i lost my weight with weekly weigh ins.. and have stalled doing daily ones (I'm a self sabatoger) back to weekly weigh in's starting today actually.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote