Old 03-27-2009, 11:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 290/See Ticker/HEALTHY

Height: 5"6

Default Realistic goal?

I am finally ready to make a goal and a time frame and I wanted to get ya'll opinion if you think it is attainable or if I am wanting too much too soon. I do not want to set a goal that will set me up for failure.

My goal long term goal right now is to lose 81 pounds in 12 months. I want to be 199lbs by the end of March 2010.

I'm not following any diet program,however, what I am doing is eating healthy, making better choices when it comes to food, I stopped drinking diet soda (i never liked regular soda) and turned to water, and I am exercising. By doing this I have managed to lose 10 pounds so I believe I am on the right track.

What do ya'll think?
Inkabetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:30 AM   #2  
So close to onederland...

S/C/G: 271/ticker/160

Height: 5'-8"

I think you've made a great start. I would use your time frame as a goal, but I would try hard and not be disappointed if you don't make it. That being said, there are people who have hit that amount or more in a year, I'm hoping to be close to 80 or so lbs by the time I reach my first year. Weight loss isn't predictable, and even if you've only lost 60 lbs the first year, it still much closer to your goal. Welcome!

Last edited by sprklemajik; 03-27-2009 at 11:31 AM.
sprklemajik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 11:35 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/134/118

Height: 5'3

Good job on losing 10lbs!! I think it's great that you cut out diet soda, just remember drink LOTS of water. I too just started exercising regularly, I hate doing it but I feel great after and proud of myself I think that your goal is reasonable as long as you keep making healthy choices and keep up the exercise. Even if you don't make it to exactly 81, you will lose weight and be healthier! I don't consider any amount of weight loss a failure. You're doing awesome, keep it up!
Caleighsmommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:14 PM   #4  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Your weight loss in any timeframe will entirely depend on the effort you put into it. The harder you try, the more likely it is that you will lose larger amounts.

I am on track to lose about 80 pounds by my 1-year anniversary, and it has been a lot of work.

In order to lose a significant amount of weight (50 to 100 pounds) in a one-year timeframe, you will probably have to:

-- Eat a very clean (no junk), calorie-controlled diet extremely consistently.
-- Become very dedicated to a regular (daily) habit of exercise, which includes both cardio and strength-training in the schedule.
-- Get enough sleep daily.

I'd say those are common elements amongst the quicker losers around here. Exercise alone, without significant dietary changes, will probably not bring you much of a weight loss--perhaps 20 pounds total in a year.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:31 PM   #5  
NEVER EVER going back

S/C/G: 377/240's/150

Height: 5 feet 5 inches

I think it's realistic but it WILL take lots of hard work and determination. Being very regimented and planning will be your friend for that year. I wish you the best of luck!!!!
cfmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 01:30 PM   #6  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Good for you on the 10lbs. so far, and the commitment! It took me 2 years to lose 75 lbs, but you know what??? I'd rather lose 20 pounds and keep it OFF than lose a ton but put it all back and then some! I think your year goal is very reasonable, but like someone already said - don't be too disappointed if you don't make it. WEIGHT OFF is a victory, no matter what!!!

I'd also try to look at it as losing 10 pounds 8 times right?? 81 pounds sounds like sooooo much, but 10 measly pounds pffff you can do that! and then do it a few more times yay!

stick around here and join us, that's a great help for sure
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 265/132/150

Height: 5'5"

I think you can definitely do it. Like the other posters said it will take hard work and determination, but totally doable! I was hoping to lose 100 pounds in one year and fell short by about 15 pounds. I was not upset about not getting the whole 100 pounds off, I was ecstatic that I came so close. The weight does slow down the closer you get to goal so as long as you allow for that you will be fine.
H8cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 03:30 PM   #8  

Height: 5' 6

That sounds like a very reasonable goal. My doctor says that you can safely lose one percent of your body weight per week. So you shouldn't lose more than 2.8 pounds a week, since you weigh 280.
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #9  
Cie
Maintainer

S/C/G: 240/129/130

Height: 5'5"

I lost 85 pounds in 2003 using South Beach. I walked 6 miles daily too. It was hard work and I don't think I could have done it without a program. It is doable.
Cie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 06:44 PM   #10  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabetty View Post

I'm not following any diet program,however, what I am doing is eating healthy, making better choices when it comes to food, I stopped drinking diet soda (i never liked regular soda) and turned to water, and I am exercising. By doing this I have managed to lose 10 pounds so I believe I am on the right track.

What do ya'll think?
You most certainly are off to a FANTASTIC start.

But on the lines of what Cie said, I do think if you're looking for steady, sustainable, longterm weight loss with a particular goal in mind, at some point you may have to change up what you're doing a bit. But that's okay. That's how LOTS of folks start. You start off one way and then your eating and your plan "evolves as needed, because "the better choices" thing *may* (may not too) continue working for you. You might have to be a bit more stricter and do some *formal* tracking of your caloric intake and the quality of foods that you are eating.

So yes, continue what you're doing, but be open to change and tweak things as necessary. Keep plugging away. Work hard. Be consistient. Keep on finding what works for YOU. Continue and stick with it and the pounds WILL come off. The absolute only way for you to NOT reach your goal (weight wise, not time wise) is if you STOP. It's all up to you!!!!

Last edited by rockinrobin; 03-27-2009 at 06:53 PM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 07:12 PM   #11  

Thank you all so much for the tips and encouragement. It helps me out so much.

I have tried every single diet plan out there and have come to realize that I can not seek a miracle pill to take all this weight off. I know that I have to eat right, exercise, be dedicated, and keep going no matter what.

WarMaiden: I have adapted an eating plan along with an exercise routine. I am taking this slow right now. I plan on changing things as I go.

My plan is to stay on track and stick to this forum. It is full of so much positive energy, I don't plan on staying away.
Old 03-27-2009, 07:46 PM   #12  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inkabetty View Post
WarMaiden: I have adapted an eating plan along with an exercise routine. I am taking this slow right now. I plan on changing things as I go.
That's certainly the thing to do, as Robin says. I don't think there's a one of us who has not changed anything as we've learned during the weight-loss process. I started out much like you did--my one and only commitment was to not eating sugar. I wasn't exercising, I wasn't counting calories, I was just not eating sugar. That was the right place for me to start, but my plan now looks a little bit different--I've added a lot of additional "effort" on top of my original commitment not to eat sugar, because that's what it took to keep the weight loss going.

You'll get there as long as you're committed
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:56 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 312/see ticker/175

Height: 5-4

Default Smaller Mini Goals

I agree that you should set some smaller goals along the way! You might want to record what you are eating, exercising, drinking, this really helps me as to being aware how I am feeling. Plus, it is a good guide when you have a great week!

Good luck to you! May you and me both be skinnier in 2010! Cheers
Fishing Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 10:37 PM   #14  

Y'all are awesome! I haven't felt this much strength and encouragement in a long time.
I have decided to lose it in 5 pound increments for now. Mini goals are the way to go.