Old 03-26-2009, 08:57 AM   #16  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

It gets easier. In fact, your body will start to crave it. Can you imagine? I couldn't a year ago--NEVER could I imagine that.

I hear you on the low energy days. I did find that red meat made me sluggish after eating it. I have cut it out all together now. Maybe there could be a trigger for you. The only way to know is to journal (foods, weight and exercise) your and see if there is a link on the days you have trouble moving. Good luck. You will do this thing--heck, you already are. The walking is AWESOME. So great for you to do it no matter what--good job!
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 02:43 PM   #17  

S/C/G: 331 highest 308/see ticker/185

Mug, it does not get better! Oh wait, I have no credibility....I can't seem to get my arse in gear!
Redflame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:27 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

I don't know that it gets easy - as soon as something becomes easy you step it up so it's hard again. But I think it becomes more satisfying. As you see results, you become more willing. The body gets in shape sooooo quickly, you can just tell that despite the pain, this is something we are meant to do. But I don't think it's ever easy.
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 08:26 PM   #19  
banned

S/C/G: 213/ticker/135

Height: 5'5

It gets easier and it gets a lot more fun. I love riding my bike and I can't wait to ride, and it's easy to ride 10, 20, 30 miles, and you wind up looking forward to your daily exercise.
sunflowergirl68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 09:47 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 275/245/140

Height: 63inches

There are definitely days I have trouble getting through my workout and I have discovered those are the days I didn't eat something before going to the gym. Nothing heavy. Just a snack, like yogurt or some fruit. Other days I am a rock star! But on the days it is hard it feels so good to have finished the work out and not given up!
Buttercup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 10:02 PM   #21  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Monday was the first time I was able to go 30 minutes on the elliptical. Then Tuesday I had an appointment with the trainer, so she could show me some more machines. I really didn't work all that hard with her but just that little bit of work I did do prevented me from doing longer than 15 minutes on the elliptical.
I was sort of disappointed in myself but then again proud all at the same time because when I first started going to the gym, I could only do like 4-5 minutes before I felt like I was going to pass out.
One thing that I have noticed that has helped me is eating something prior to exercising, being well hydrated and make sure I can park myself underneath a fan. The breeze from the fan helps tremendously!
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 02:01 PM   #22  
Trying so hard....

S/C/G: 298/298/145

Height: 5'7"

Do you guys think that if I do like 2 minutes on an eliptical it will actually help? I cant do more than that, I just can not. Not right now. I can walk swiftly up to 40minutes, but that machine....I just cant. Do you think it would even do any good to do 2 minutes (heck I dont even know if I can swing 2 minutes my legs burn so badly). Then maybe I can work up from there............
MugCanDoIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:19 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 290/ticker/165

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MugCanDoIt View Post
Do you guys think that if I do like 2 minutes on an eliptical it will actually help? I cant do more than that, I just can not. Not right now. I can walk swiftly up to 40minutes, but that machine....I just cant. Do you think it would even do any good to do 2 minutes (heck I dont even know if I can swing 2 minutes my legs burn so badly). Then maybe I can work up from there............

i remember a few years ago i joined the gym and heard how good the eliptical was so i couldn't wait to try it i got on it and i seriously only last for 20 seconds .. lol i gave up after that i guess that would be why i am where i am today .. i had never felt my legs burn the way they did on that machine!!
haleysmommy5402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 04:43 PM   #24  
XOXO

S/C/G: 268/249/145

Height: 5'4"

Mug-forget that machine, don't torture yourself. Find something you like and do that. When it gets easy switch it up. I hate that machine and won't go near it. I will do basketball drills, go to a batting cage, walk on the treadmill I do a lot of different things. Switch it up, do what you really like because if you do something you hate you won't want to exercise at all.
Devsmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:08 PM   #25  
I'm on a Low Crap Diet

S/C/G: 272/228/under 200 for now

Height: 5'0"

Quote:

I'm gonna tell you the same thing that a little old lady at the gym told me.

"You never will know unless you try it."

I actually think it will do you good. My first time on the elliptical I only lasted 2 minutes. I hated it but I kept on trying and eventually I noticed how many calories I burned when I used it. Now I can go 30 minutes, its only been 6 months. Its the one machine that doesn't bore me to death and it always challenges me.

I'm a bit ADD and OCD and I have a problem with pushing the buttons on the machines. I can't seem to keep my hands off of them, but with the elliptical, it keeps my hands, arms and legs moving all at the same time.
hpnodat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 08:41 PM   #26  

S/C/G: 202/160/135

Height: 5 ft 6 in

Quote:
Does it get easier? Well, I wouldn't say it gets "easier", but there comes a time when all of a sudden you stop and realize - hey, that used to take me 40 minutes, now it takes me 30 minutes, etc.

It doesn't get easier in my opinion, you are just able to do more. But that's the point - you never want exercise to be easy, you want to feel sweat on your body, feel tired afterward and like you had a great workout!

I think that absolutely you should do 2 min only on the elliptical if your goal in the future is to do the elliptical for a longer amount of time. In two weeks or so (if you are ready), try 4 minutes. and on and on until you are at your goal.

~Choirgirl~
choirgirlhotel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:02 PM   #27  
gin

S/C/G: 295/270/175

Height: 68 in.

Just a suggestion, if your gym has one try an elliptical with an adjustable incline grab one of those. Then put the incline down, it really helped me be able to do a LOT longer on that machine because on the higher setting it was killing my back. Or just do something else that you can do and enjoy (:

Jen
gin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #28  

S/C/G: 312/see ticker/175

Height: 5-4

I joined an 8 week challenge. I am by far the biggest girl! And I would say only 1 or 2 that I would say need to lose weight. But I know I inspire the other people too! Some of them give up early, I try to modify an exercise if I am unable or can't do something. I still keep moving!! Its like "last chance workout" every M/W/F. I hurt! But I do Love it!!!

Oh except running, I still hate that! Think I always will!
Fishing Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:10 PM   #29  

Height: 5'11"

I purchased an elliptical because I remember what a good workout it used to give me at the gym. The first time I got on it about 6 weeks ago, I made it 11 minutes. I had to rest many times and I was shaking when I got off. I just kept gradually increasing, but I have to admit that I wasn't really being regular enough and wasn't seeing super great weight loss.

This week I decided to step it up. I put a motivational saying on a piece of paper that covers the clock so I am not constantly watching it, and I also put a little graph where I can chart my weight up there. I also made a committment that I would increase by a minute a day, every day, for a week. Today when I weighed in I was 4 pounds down over last week! Woo hoo!!

Whenever I think of quitting or stopping my workout, I see my little notes to myself and I keep going! I wanted to insert a picture of my sign but need to research how to do that.

Last edited by Windchime; 03-27-2009 at 09:11 PM.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 09:13 PM   #30  

Height: 5'11"

Oh, I wanted to add something else about the elliptical: I found that making the resistance a little higher actually helps me. Otherwise, I find myself pedalling like a crazy woman when the resistance is at the lowest and I quickly wear out.
Windchime is offline   Reply With Quote