Old 01-16-2009, 01:00 PM   #31  
Made of Starstuff

My honest suggestions are:

Begin by eating 2,000 calories a day.
Drink your water like you have been.
Start exercising slowly (by taking short walks or even just parking farther from a building).

Use mostly healthier foods to fill those 2,000 calories. (Because 2,000 calories of Doritos isn't gonna cut it, of course) Such as: Fruits and Vegetables, Whole Grain Breads and Pastas, Brown Rices, Reduced Fat Dairy Products, Lean Meats like Chicken. But, leave room for a few favorites that you can plan into your meals.

I know you realize that this might take at least 2 years, but that's why we all want this to be sustainable for you. These changes that we're making are helping all of us get to our goals, but honestly, after doing this for so long it's making me feel healthier and that in itself is a great reward.

Listen to the people who have "been there, done that, doesn't work".

If I may give you an example of some of the foods I ate yesterday:

B: 2% Cottage Cheese, Low-Fat Yogurt, Apple

Post work-out Snack: Luna Bar

Lunch: Salad w/Mixed Lettuce, Cabbage, tomatoes, alfalfa sprouts, Fat Free Feta (2 oz), Grilled chicken breast strips (3 oz), 1/2 an Avocado, Low Calorie Spray Dressing

Snack: Pear, Greek Yogurt w/Agave Nectar, Fiber One Bar

Dinner: Salsa Chicken w/Extra Tomatoes, Peppers, Onions, Garlic & topped with some parmesaen cheese.

Dessert: 2 dulce de leche jello pudding cups

So I can note three things on menu that weren't the most wholesome of wholesome things. But, I did get a lot of fruits & veggies in. Got some lean protein, and some fat from cheese & dairy. Not my worst day But you can see how you've got to make this live-able.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:01 PM   #32  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbubloox View Post
I just added the small things I had with my food yesterday, like butter and olive oil. and I have had about 1,841 calories. is this better?
Absolutely that's MUCH better. We can't forget to add in butter/olive oil/little slices of cheese.

It all adds up to daily calorie intake. So be cautious & be meticulous.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 01:06 PM   #33  
FB

You know - I just wanted to offer a HUGE hug and my admiration. It's totally freaking awesome that you're taking everyone's great nutrition advice and doing this right. You rock!

Seriously, when I first started reading this post I was scared for you, by the end I had a huge smile on my face that you're so willing to experiment and find the right thing for you.

xox! You can do it! Keep trying, keep asking questions and keep experimenting!
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:25 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 253/253/209

Height: 6 Feet

Yes, I am listening to what all of you are saying, and using your advise. I am adding every thing i use. butter, olive oil etc. I am keeping track in my fit day. I am about 1661 calories today. Thanks so much.

I was feeling like I was starving. not in my tummy, but my overall feeling. I felt so good eating a nice T-bone and eggs this morning. Thanks all so very much!
xbubloox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 04:13 PM   #35  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

A few thoughts, from someone who is also sick of being fat & has tried many many MANY different plans.

It sounds like you are low-carbing it. Is this right? Having a serving of something carby/starchy in the morning will give you fuel. My trainer said not to eat carbs after 8pm, so I would suggest adding a serving of something healthy, high fiber, that has whole grains & very little sugar to give you some energy first thing in the morning.

Now I hate oatmeal as much as the Hatfields hated the McCoys. But I eat it 3 times a week. My cholesterol has come down 13 points. (dude seriously i hate oatmeal) If you are like me & can't choke it down, one of the best tips I've ever gotten from 3FC is to mix in a spoon of peanut butter. You want something non-hydrogenated in a peanut butter, otherwise you just made it unhealthy. So read the label before you buy it. I also sprinkle on Vietnamese cinnamon because as I have mentioned, I need to make it taste good or I won't eat it.

If you can't do oatmeal, I like Healthy Life bread, it's low in calories AND sodium & you can have 2 slices & it counts as a serving. Because who doesn't want toast with steak & eggs? They have a flaxseed one that you can do with a pb & j (spreadable fruit for me!) or you could make grilled cheese, or whatever floats your boat.

As far as the oil, canola is getting a bad rap. I'm Italian & we use olive oil for cold things only like salads. If you want to mix it up, canola is not that bad for you. Also, don't forget to measure your oils & butter. That helped me a LOT. Also nuts & fresh avocados are a good source of healthy fat, but these must be measured as well.

If you are lactose intolerant, please ignore this next piece of advice, but try adding some skim milk in there as well. If you're gonna do yogurt, get the Greek yogurt, it's got way more protein & to me, tastes like sour cream.

You might want to try a less fatty cut of meat than a turkey snausage. Boneless skinless chicken, lean beef, shrimp, unbreaded fish, etc. I know for me I would get bored of snausages pretty quickly, except my veggies ones. They also sell cartons of just egg whites, you could supplement your egg breakfasts with those. I've done it & no one even noticed.

If you're gonna add calories, I'm thinking cheese is not the way to go, for right now. You can eat so much more fresh veggies for next to no calories, and they really fill you up. Back in the day on the exchange program from one dietician I saw FRESH cucumbers, mushrooms & spinach were considered free foods that you could have up to 3 cups of each per day w/o having to count those calories, AS LONG AS YOU EAT THEM PLAIN!!! If you're a dip or dressing person, that's fine, just count it in there w/your fat servings. Have you ever tried to measure 3 cups of cucumber slices, let alone eat them? Oh, the things we do for thin thighs!!!

As far as you asking, "But will I still lose weight", yes, yes, you will. Your body needs those calories, so if you aren't getting them with food, it will start on your muscles first, not your fat. So keep that in mind when undereating. You WILL lose weight, but you will not lose fat.

And it goes without saying, but w/o exercise, even just a half hour walk to start out is better than nothing, you'll plateau after awhile on the new eating plan.

Welcome & congrats for deciding you want to do this for yourself. I know you can do it!!!
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #36  

snausages? lol I love that! - I love oatmeal, ill try that. My weight has not moved in 2 days, could it be because i got my period this morning?
Old 01-18-2009, 11:29 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I don't think you should expect to lose weight every day, or every 2 days. I just worry that you will let the scale set your motivation (yay, it's down, I'm doing great! Keep on! Boo, it didn't move, dieting sucks, I quit!). You can't control the scale, focus on the things you can control!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:13 PM   #38  
if only she'd lose weight

S/C/G: 360/see ticker/180

Height: 5'7

You should only be weighing yourself once a week & yes, during your TOM (time Of Month) the scale moves a little slower.
SuchAPrettyFace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 10:53 PM   #39  
unabashed

S/C/G: 344/321/220

Height: 5'5

great advice for her everyone! I also have been there, done that, didn't work.

I 'dieted' my way to 299 lbs. I ALWAYS gained weight back after dieting.

it kind of makes me sad to see people so frustrated that they want to starve themselves. i mean, like I said, been there, done that, and it WAS sad. My heart would beat funny, sometimes i wouldn't eat for weeks at a time. I always lost fast, then stopped losing for a long time and trust me, it's hard to keep going when you aren't eating at all and not losing weight either. then you just BINGE.

Good luck girly!
lottie63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 12:38 AM   #40  

Yeah, i would never actually starve myself. I am eating alot better now. And i am not seeing it as a diet at all, but a lifestyle change. I now understand how wonderful veggies taste, and a nice juicy steak? Oh man, I am just focusing on all the good things i like about my veggies. I mean, i have always loved my veggies, but liked the sweets a little to much. So now that I am off the sugar, i feel great! and that scale is moving all of the sudden, my Ketosis sticks are dark purple, but i make sure i am getting all good veggies and meats. I am very happy. I even feel a warmth in my body, not a fever, but a warmth from the inside. Thanks all!