Old 12-05-2008, 11:46 AM   #31  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

Height: 5'7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoChick View Post
Oh I love yellow and red peppers but they're so danged expensive!!!

If you have a Costco near you I have found they generally have really good red and yellow peppers and they are quite reasonably priced. They come in like a bag of 6 I think.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:56 AM   #32  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

Height: 5'7"

A mental adjustment I've tried to make and had a little success with is to consider vegetables actually the foundation of my meals, rather than meat or grain/carbs being the foundation of my meals. So at dinnertime, the question becomes "What should we have with this broccoli?" rather than "What should we have with this chicken (or rice)?" The meat and grains then become the condiments to the vegetables, rather than the other way around. Without that little mental switch, it's too easy for me to forget vegetables.

I really need to focus on doing that more on weekends, especially, when I have more freedom with my meals and cooking. (Since more freedom usually means more room to get off-track.)
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:14 PM   #33  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I like making vegetable a tofu stir-fries with spinach, onion, zucchini, tomato, peppers (sometimes), and whatever else I have on hand. I also eat a "big salad" for lunch a lot, which I enjoy even though I too don't really care for salads usually. I throw EVERYTHING into these salads -- spinach or mesclun as a base and then avocado, some cheese, tomato, cucumber, roasted red peppers, and etc. so it's satisfying and it doesn't feel like I'm chewing cud for lunch.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 12:19 PM   #34  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I love red/yellow peppers too and I used to buy them at Costco but their prices have gone up quite a bit. I think Trader Joes has them for about the same price but usually my asian market has them the cheapest.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 09:29 PM   #35  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

Thank you, everyone. I bought cabbage and butternut squash tonight and will cook them tomorrow. I am committing to trying new veggies!
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:17 PM   #36  

Wow Im glad to know im not the only one who doesnt like a lot of veggies. I grew up in a household were only the standard veggies were offered, corn ,peas, green beans, carrots, black eye peas, spinach.

I cant stand broccoli and I tried it the other day because I made some for my son, I even melted a little piece of cheese on it and it didnt work..lol I love carrots but hate just about any raw veggie. I have to have them cooked and I hate salad. I dont like lettuce or tomatoes which is basically what makes a salad. So i have only a handful of veggies i eat. The other I do what someone else said. Puree them and add them to something. like the other daay I added a tad of spinach to my english muffin pizza.

But After readin this thread I think I will try something new next grocery trip. I do have a husband though who refuses to eat fresh veggies!!! His mom was a pop open a can kinda girl I guess. So i buy mostly frozen for us as a family. But I might try and get some fresh for me and G to eat for lunches.

Last edited by eilla05; 12-05-2008 at 11:19 PM.
eilla05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2008, 11:33 PM   #37  
career counselor a-gogo

S/C/G: HW:~330 325/ticker/145

This thread has inspired me to try some new veggies. I think I will buy one thing I've never had or haven't had in a long time and then try to research a good way to cook it. I love roasted asparagus so I plan to try that with other veggies too.

Nelie - that's a bummer about Costco peppers. I moved so the nearest Costco to me is about an hour away so I only go when I'm visiting my mom.
rodeogirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:38 PM   #38  
One day at a time!

S/C/G: 301/see ticker/160

Height: 5' 2"

As a part of my commitment to trying new veggies, I cooked butternut squash tonight. It was pretty good and I will definitely be cooking it again.
time2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:42 PM   #39  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Yay. I love butternut squash. I've been on a kick lately making soup from it that I take to work. Yummy and filling and low cal.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:51 PM   #40  
BELIEVE!

This thread and all the great comments are inspiring me to try many more new veggies. I've been doing a pretty good job with them, but I know I can do better. Tonight I tried the freezer section steamed bag of Brussel sprouts with butter sauce. Honestly didn't care for it....but I'll keep on trying!
BarbPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 09:56 PM   #41  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

"Focusing on vegetables" is the healthy habit I'm about to focus on, and this thread has been ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL !!! Thank you to everyone who's contributed to it.
Xan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:04 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 288.6/288.6/188

Height: 5'3"

Butternut squash is great! Sometimes I cube it, bake it and mix it with pasta and a little parmesan cheese or bake or boil it and then mash it up. Yum.

Acorn squash is also really good (and sweet). I bake the halves and then serve them with couscous and a little sweetened sliced almonds - the crunch, sweetness and filling couscous go great together.
skinnymrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:09 PM   #43  
Mentally ready

S/C/G: 314/266/165

Height: 5'8

Something I like is cucumbers cut into quarters, in low fat plain yogurt, with fresh garlic smooshed, and mint leaves dried and crushed, all to taste. It's super flavorful and healthy!
Beautiful Ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:17 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/150

Height: 5'4

I'm mostly eating frozen veggies from green giant that have mixtures of carrots, brocoli, green beans, etc. Mostly bc I'm not sure how to cook fresh veggies.
Smiling_Sara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 08:25 PM   #45  
Getting my Halle bod! :)

Height: short stack

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinnymrs View Post
Butternut squash is great! Sometimes I cube it, bake it and mix it with pasta and a little parmesan cheese or bake or boil it and then mash it up. Yum.

Acorn squash is also really good (and sweet). I bake the halves and then serve them with couscous and a little sweetened sliced almonds - the crunch, sweetness and filling couscous go great together.
Thanks for sharing! I bought some the other day and was trying to figure out how to cook it and what to do with it!
butterflygurl is offline   Reply With Quote