Old 12-01-2008, 04:15 PM   #16  
One pound at a time...

The same issue is going on now with me. I have people commenting all the time. I know everyone wants to give me a compliment but sometimes it does not come out the right way. I am trying to enjoy the extra attention but sometimes when someone says "Whoa, have you ever lost a lot of weight!!" it makes me realized how bad it was before. I know it will die down after awhile and I know I am excited being to fit into normal sizes now.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:21 PM   #17  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

When I initially lost 75 lbs, people of course noticed it and commented. I never got offended when they said, "Wow, you've lost a lot of weight" but I *WOULD* get offended if they went on and on about how fat and huge I used to be. I would also get annoyed if they asked me how I was doing it (diet and exercise) and then proceeded to critique my plan and tell me how I *SHOULD* be doing it. Actually, the latter was even more annoying than the former.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:24 PM   #18  

S/C/G: HW/232 SW 215/ CW 133/GW 120's

Height: 5.7 and 1/2

Only my closest friends know the number of pounds I have lost--and of course all the chics at 3FC. When someone (especially a hater) asks me how much weight I have lost I just say--I don't use a scale I just go by my clothing and the way it fits.
Thighs Be Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:32 PM   #19  
One pound at a time...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLK View Post
I would also get annoyed if they asked me how I was doing it (diet and exercise) and then proceeded to critique my plan and tell me how I *SHOULD* be doing it. Actually, the latter was even more annoying than the former.
Ditto. When people ask me what I am doing, I simply respond that I am just cutting back on what I am eating. It is true and it gives a good answer and proving that there is no such thing as a silver bullet.
ChocLabLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #20  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I thought saying "I've just been watching what I eat, and I started exercising regularly" would be a pretty safe answer too... but no lol. Someone even told me that if I REALLY wanted to lose weight the "right" way, I'd eat a whole lemon each morning. I smiled politely and said, "Maybe I'll give that a try!" but umm... no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLabLover View Post
Ditto. When people ask me what I am doing, I simply respond that I am just cutting back on what I am eating. It is true and it gives a good answer and proving that there is no such thing as a silver bullet.
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 07:40 PM   #21  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

I have a friend who used to respond to advice (any advice) by saying "What a great idea" We all felt complimented. Then she did whatever she wanted to do anyway.

I've tried to adopt her method. (Since my method had been to explain why their advice would not work or did not fit the situation or was just plain wrong. It cuts down on conflict. I now sometimes tell folks that I don't care if they follow my advice...I just want to give it!
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 10:07 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I think the worst thing ever was when my close friend travelled 9 hours to visit me. She hadn't seen me in one year. I had been 168 or so when she saw me last. Imagine her shocked face when I opened the door at 245 pounds. She didn't say anything. But a mutual friend told me that when she got home she sat on her couch and cried, and said, "How did that happen to her?"

ouch...
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 04:10 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 305/172.6/135

Height: 5foot 4 inches

When someone asks me "how are you doing it?" I usually just say " just trying to eat healthy and be more active" which is true. And their usual response is something like " oh, you're doing it the hard way" Is there any other way to do it? I mean honestly....no matter what your method of losing weight is, it's not easy!!
HVEECK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 07:57 AM   #24  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

I can't wait for the day that I lose enough weight for people to notice. And, I really hope the do say something! Pandora, your co-workers are bums!
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 09:45 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

Rhonda,

I can't let that stand. They aren't bums...they genuinely didn't want to hurt my feelings and were concerned about my reaction. (And to complicate the situation, I'm the boss, although not their direct supervisor.) I just still don't understand why they would be nervous about saying something along the lines of "you look great".
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote