Old 08-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

Default Curious..

As as a part of the plan I am doing, one of the rules is that I have to eat a Nutritious Breakfast... so I'm curious.. what does that mean to you? I haven't entirely figured out what that means for me just yet! I'm hoping you all can shed a light on me to help me figure out what it means!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

A good bit of protein, some carbs (since I try to eat most of my carbs during the day), whole foods (not boxed cereals, pop tarts, or anything of that nature) ...

In other words, a healthy start to my day and something that will stick with me.

Options include:
Homemade yogurt and blueberries
2 eggs scrambled in a whole grain tortilla w/ cheese and salsa
Crustless quiche made with 2 eggs and veggies
Oats or quinoa with peanut butter stirred in and fruit
Oats or quinoa with cheese stirred in (sometimes I like savory for breakfast, rather than sweet).
Turkey breast on a whole grain english muffin, fruit
Protein shake made with orange juice and protein powder, and a whole grain muffin or toast

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 02:57 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 197/135/?

M-W-F I have oatmeal (just switched to steel cut oats) with 1/2c blueberries and 1/2 banana; with a latte (a little less than a full cup of 2% milk). I add cocoa and cinnamon but no sugar.

Tu-Th I have 1/2c 2% Greek yogurt with 1/2c blueberries and 1/2 banana and 1/2c Nature's Path Flax Pumpkin Seed Granola; with a latte

Saturday morning I make eggs (1 yolk 2 whites) with veggies in it. I've been having a sweet potato (plain) with that, but now I'm having whole multigrain bread, because I missed it. And my latte.

Sunday morning I have whole multigrain pancakes with 1/2c 2% Greek yogurt (with 1t maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon) and strawberries (1/2#), and my latte.

I really enjoy this. I like my oatmeal. I love my yogurt with fruit & granola. I enjoy my lattes. And I really enjoy my eggs and pancakes breakfasts. I don't really see this changing any time soon Breakfast does *not* feel like dieting in the least.
JulieJ08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:41 PM   #4  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

What they said. Protein + carbs + fiber, basically. I love eggs, and I also love yogurt with granola, and I also really love oatmeal with a tablespoon of peanut butter stirred in. Breakfast is the meal at which I consume the most calories of any of my meals, and the only one where I don't have to stress about my carb intake, so I really enjoy it.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:41 PM   #5  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I think a nutritious breakfast would have a little bit of each protein, carbs and fat.

I use for my breakfasts on a regular basis:

1/2 cup greek yogurt (either 0% or 2%), 1/2 cup lowfat granola (140 calories), 1 cup chopped strawberries (60 calories), 1 tsp honey (20 calories)

Or protein pancakes: Blend 1/3 cup lowfat cottage cheese with 1/3 cup rolled oat and 1 egg, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Cook like pancakes. Top with 1 cup of blueberries cooked to make a syrup.

And coffee with milk on the side
I eat these 2 breakfasts for about 5 days out of the week.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 03:44 PM   #6  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberlover View Post
Or protein pancakes: Blend 1/3 cup lowfat cottage cheese with 1/3 cup rolled oat and 1 egg, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Cook like pancakes. Top with 1 cup of blueberries cooked to make a syrup.
Hey fiber, do you know roughly how many calories are in these pancakes?
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:13 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Oh the protein pancakes are yummy. I make them a lot and instead of adding sweet things, I add savory spices and have them for snacks. Here’s the recipe from my blog:

1 cup oatmeal
1/4 cup cottage cheese (I used the 4%, but you could probably reduce the cals by using 2%)
4 egg whites
2 packs of Splenda (optional)
sprinkle of cinnamon (optional)

Mix well by hand and cook as you would pancakes. Makes 4 good sized pancakes. Each pancake is 104 cals, 1.5 g of fat, 2.2 g of fiber, and 8.6 g protein. Yummy.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

I try to have protein, carbs, and some fats at breakfast. Most important - I do need protein.

Here's an example of some of my breakfasts:

If you like cottage cheese...add in a serving of lite canned peaches or pears, or half banana. I eat Weight Watcher bread - 50 calories with natural peanut butter or almond butter, too

Boca 'bacon' Strips (soy) YUM on peanut butter toast along with some fruit.

Nuke three egg whites (about 99 seconds) - eat with some ketchup or lite cheese - toast with I Can't Beleive it's Not Butter spray or npnb. - along with some fruit

Kashi waffle with pnb - along with a piece of fruit.

Turkey breast on bread with mayo and fruit.

Have you noticed a trend here....I often eat natural peanut butter for breakfast (usually 1/2 T. at 45 calories)

I need to have protein at breakfast - it helps me from getting hungry right away.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:45 PM   #9  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoz View Post
Hey fiber, do you know roughly how many calories are in these pancakes?
Yes - using 1% cottage cheese they are about 230 calories, not counting the blueberries. Makes 3 decent size pancakes.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:52 PM   #10  
Burning it away

Height: 5'2

Thanks photo and fiber, will be giving these a go
Spoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Ohhh I just had a post about this on my blog, and I got so many great ideas in response! Here's the link, be sure and read the comments for more suggestions (there's like 30 comments!)

http://escapefromobesity.blogspot.co...breakfast.html
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 04:59 PM   #12  
aka Sarah

S/C/G: 289/193/159

My weekday breakfast is a shake I make in my blender of 1/2 cup frozen spinach, 3/4 cup frozen blueberries, soy protein powder, 3 tbsp ground flaxseed, ground ginger, and a little bit of sucralose to sweeten it. Has about 300 calories, 25 g protein / 25 g carbs / 9 or so g fat? / 11 g fiber.

On weekends I try to take the time to make myself a couple of scrambled eggs with a bunch of veggies in them--onions, garlic, mushrooms, tomatoes, whatever else we have. Salsa on the side. And I'll have a piece of whole-grain toast with that.
WarMaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:13 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Thanks, Lyn!!

More great ideas!
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 07:24 PM   #14  
start march 29 2008

S/C/G: 286/140/135

Height: 5'4''

I eat hardboiled eggs every morning to get protein in. 4 egg whites (16 g protein) Sometimes I eat a yolk for my fat and to up the calories other times I will eat two strips of microwave bacon- overcook it and dry off any fat.
If I have time -in addition fiber 1 cereal or presidents choice blue menu fiber cereal (which I actually prefer). I tend not to have fruit in the morning as it actually makes me hungry by mid morning- if I do it is strawberries- I think the fiber in them helps (takes down the glycemic level)
lifechange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 11:49 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Thanks everyone!!! This morning I had 2 eggs scrambled, and fresh whole wheat bread from the bakery nearby. My thought was that wasn't too healthy, I think I might be wrong! I don't usually like to mix fruit with breads, leaves my stomach feeling all wonky. I normally have a breakfast smoothie, but sometimes I like to eat something, ANYTHING else! lol.

I may branch out on my non-work days, so thanks for all the great tips!!

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote