Old 06-23-2008, 09:06 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 256/242.1/175

Height: 5'3"

Hi Beveryly Joy,

I really feel your pain. I know everyone's been there, and reading this thread is just what I needed myself. I haven't been posting lately, though I do come by every day just to keep up. I've really been floundering. When I started here I weighed 250, got down to 248, and now I think I'm about 253. So pretty much I feel at least I haven't gained a ton, but I'm also not progressing as I'd hoped. I had such confidence that "this time I'll do it for real! this time I'm going to lose the weight!". What happened to me? I know all the reasons I need to get healthy. I've been to the doctor and been told I have high blood pressure. I've had my kids tell me I need to lose the weight. I've had my brothers tell me I need to lose the weight. Why can't I do it?
Well, enough venting. I'm just here to support you, and tell you that I know you can do it. I am inspired by all of you, and I know that one day we will all be healthy together!
avi0903 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:11 PM   #17  
Ironman in Training

S/C/G: 302/205/150

Height: 5'5

I think with those of us who lose a lot... we get to a spot where we are comfortable with our bodies (not in totality but way more so then we have been in years) so it tends to absorb some of our more strict control and it takes even more focus to keep going... There isn't as much urgency I guess.

I've not been the best with food lately either and my loss the last 2 months has been slow since I've gone under 200. I've decided I need to focus on making food choices that I know won't lead me to a place where I have less control. New week. Clean slate... just move on forward.

Just know your not alone.
Idealmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 11:31 PM   #18  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
I think with those of us who lose a lot... we get to a spot where we are comfortable with our bodies (not in totality but way more so then we have been in years) so it tends to absorb some of our more strict control and it takes even more focus to keep going... There isn't as much urgency I guess
I think that's a really good point. I know that while I really really really want to lose another 30 lbs, I am very happy with the huge difference between where I am now and where I was a year ago. It still amazes me that I can fit into a pair of size 12 jeans and that I'm wearing skirts (little short flirty ones) and that I'm not afraid to put on a top that's form fitting (although not too much!).

So yeah, I think that's a good theory as well and has a lot of merit to it. It is harder now because I'm SO very happy with where I am ... even if I know I'd be thrilled beyond words in 30 more lbs.

>
PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 10:41 AM   #19  
beth

S/C/G: 344.8/see ticker/299

Height: 5'5"

I think Trazey has a good point, too. I know I was feeling a little unmotivated. So for a full month - I "gave myself permission" to maintain - which to me means 2-3 lbs fluctuation. And its amazing how much different about it all my thinking was!!! As a "maintainer" - I didn't feel guilty overeating on 1 day - if I forced myself to get back on track the next day.

Believe you me - I know what its like to make deals with myself - and to trick my brain into doing something. But I really felt like this worked for me. It helped get rid of a lot of guilt - and for the first time in a long time I wasn't either "On or Off". Since I feel like this is 90% in our heads - if we can work on that and not lose weight - I think thats ok.

All that being said - I know I need to get my self back in serious mode and take off more of this weight. And I believe that I will. Sometimes, as Dr. Phil says, we've got to "Fake it until you can make it".

Lastly - as I finish my rambling..... be kind to yourself!!! If you're anything like me - you've spent a lifetime immersed in bad habits, and bad mind-sets. That stuff doesnt go away overnight. And if it takes you 2 more years to lose the rest of the weight you want to - and you do it by working on your head, as well as your eating, then you will have accomplished something incredible!!!!

I read a lot of your posts here, BeverlyJoy, and I believe in you - and I believe you will live the healthy life that you desire
gr8smyl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 01:19 PM   #20  
NewnamesamePam

S/C/G: 287/247/135

Height: 5'7"

Smile BeverlyJoy, you can do this!

I posted on another thread about this same issue so I hope I am speaking to a different crowd here.

I too have found that when I have a slump I look back to see how often I have been posting here and sure enough I realize that it has been a week or so. Then, I get back to reading and listening and thinking and writing. I am re-energized.

We all want the same thing. We all have these waxes and wanes. We all fall down. Most of us pick ourselves up and dust ourselves off and resume what we were doing. However, sometimes the effort of getting back up is harder than other times. I think that is what you (and I) are struggling with right now.

I've been under a lot of unusual stresses this year. My mom has been seriously ill since the beginning of the year. I have co-power of attorney over her medical choices. Now, that is not easy to make life and death decisions for someone so close. Not once but several times.

My DH and I are facing a lot of debts we are paying off while, like everyone else here, trying to figure out how to pay for gas and groceries on what is left over.

My Dad is sinking into a depression over my Mom. He has almost given up on himself as well. He has been deemed a vulnerable adult as well. I am going to be returning to their home for 3 months (maybe more) to help him deal with the finances and other choices he is having difficulty with. He has his own health issues.

I am tired even after sleeping 9 hours each night, I am irritable and crappy a lot more than I like to be, I am scared and I am not sure how all of this will affect my weight losing efforts. However, I am still going to keep on keeping on. I truly believe that if I hadn't lost what weight I have lost, I would have had a heart attack by now from all of the stress I have been under. By eating healthy and losing weight, I have taken care of myself while I try to care for others.

I think what you are feeling is normal. I hit a complacency when I was able to finally get into some summer clothes that I had wanted to. After all, that was my goal last winter. I really hadn't thought ahead or "what next"? Right now just getting through today sounds good enough. I haven't found my new motivation yet but I am going to keep trying to do my best until it returns.

In the meantime, I bought myself a bike helmet and I plan to buy a bike when I arrive there. I am also going to get a season pass to their Olympic-sized municipal pool and go swimming ---often! I am packing all of my seasonings and non-perishable foods in one of my luggages so I will have those to help me stay on track with my food plan. And, finally, if I can, I plan on attending Daily Mass as often as I can.

Good luck and God bless, I hear where you are coming from.

Last edited by PamByr; 06-24-2008 at 01:22 PM.
PamByr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 11:20 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

Hey there Beverly, I hope things are going better for you now. You're such an inspiration and I want to see you keep on losing! We are going to reach our goals.

Sometimes what helps me when I am trying to switch myself back from bad habits to healthy eating, is I buy a ton of produce and just make myself eat it all day long. A big bowl of greens, or steamed veggies, or raw ones, really takes the edge off. WHen I am pacing the floor wanting cookies I MAKE myself get out a big bowl of strawberries or cut-up fresh pineapple and eat it until I am full. Then I don't really want the junk as much. After a day or two of doing that, it's like the junk is out of my system and I feel a lot better.

Let us know how you're doing! EVeryone struggles. It's good to have people who care!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:49 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Wow, again - I am touched that so many people care about me and believe in me and my journey. I guess I didn't realize folks were paying that much attention to my journey. Thanks again for your kind thoughts, ideas and wishes for me.

I printed out the motivation guide from the website, yoyoma. Some good ideas - especially, with me and exercise.

Yes, in the past couple months I have lost just two pounds - but, like Trazey says...better than gaining.

All of you have helped me. This 'living with food' can be a journey, all right. I had a healthy on plan day yesterday - that's two in a row. I am so grateful.

Thanks, again everyone. Hugs to you all....
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2008, 09:24 AM   #23  
Taking life by the horns

S/C/G: 302/ticker/215

Height: 6'1"

I hear ya-- I'm just coming off a full WEEK of "ahhh F*** it" and I'm struggling to stay on course...

I had to remind myself how far I've come and that I WAS feeling excellent adn really proud--- that I really messed up by getting pizza 4 days last week, eating over 2 dozen cookies (yeah, I know) and getting takeout several times... I went CRAZY and I binged horribly... and it's over. It HAS to be over.

Yesterday was my weekly weigh in and I was up like 10 pounds (but I know a lot of that is water weight from the high sodium and a lot of "build up" in there) and it kicked me in the butt. Funny enough, I went out last night to see a concert and a person I hadn't seen since January (when I started my journey) was like "holy CRAP jen! I didn't recognize you at first" and was sincere b/c he apologized for being stand-offish when I greeted him. So even after my 10 pound screw up... there still ARE results and there are still plenty more to get!!!

Last edited by BrandNewJen; 06-26-2008 at 09:25 AM.
BrandNewJen is offline   Reply With Quote