Old 05-15-2008, 04:02 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Health is definitely my biggest one. I've been pre-diabetic for a couple of years, but diabetes is not inevitable. I refuse to just give up and let it happen, not if there's something I can do about it.

Another one, though, is that I'm looking forward to having people's first opinion of me be about something other than my weight. I think it might already be going that way, although it's hard for me to tell. Between job interviews and the dating world, I just want people to actually get to know me, and not make assumptions (or rejections) based on my size.

Lisa
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 04:39 PM   #17  
FB

What motivated me to start was vanity.
What motivates me now is the way I feel living healthier. Every single day is easier than the day before, my mental clarity has increased, everything I do is more graceful, I haven't been plagued with little issues like aches and pains or sniffles, every day I feel more empowered.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2008, 05:00 PM   #18  
poco a poco

S/C/G: 246/166.5/158

Height: 5'5"

I like the mindless zombie image--I had always thought of those times as one-foot-in-front-of-the-other-head-down-into-the-wind days but now I'll think of mindless zombie when I keep on keeping on in spite of the lack of motivation.
'cause motivation does come and go.
Nada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 02:57 AM   #19  
I shall be released...

Height: 5'8"

Most importantly, I am starting to really feel the consequences of being fat, and I just want to be healthy and live a long life.

Also, I am getting married in March 2009 and would like to lose some weight before then... I also want to see if I can become healthy enough to have children. I don't really have periods because of my weight, and I'm hoping that can work itself out as my weight drops.

Last edited by JustSharing83; 05-16-2008 at 02:58 AM.
JustSharing83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 07:52 AM   #20  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

Wow! reading all your answers makes me feel bad as I think I'm losing my motivation or focus rather. I'm still searching for my motivation in a way. I think I've Plateaued at my current weight and I am feeling disappointed with myself. I need my scale to move so I can feel that all the hard work is paying off.

I've been overweight most of my adult life and last few years have just been terrible. I got to my highest ever this year and feel miserable. Right now I hate shopping for clothes and trying clothes in the fitting room as I cannot fit into "normal" size clothes anymore. I don't want to shop every time I gain a dress size. I also definitely want to feel healthy. Recently my knee started to hurt and I know losing weight would definitely help. Not to mention we have couple of vacations this year (July and September) and I'd like to be as much fit as possible before I go on my vacation. I'm hoping this will keep me going.

Last edited by pintobean; 05-16-2008 at 07:54 AM.
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:28 AM   #21  

S/C/G: 273/260.1/163

Height: 5'7"

My motivation comes from two places..

First, is the desire to feel normal, healthy, and be able to do all those things I've been putting off. I don't know if this is motivation so much though... I like the mindless zombie thing, I just keep doing this, day after day, because the alternative is not to do this, and that doesn't feel like an option.

Second, I am going NYC this year, and to California.. my first BIG trips anywhere, and I don't want to be worrying about fitting into an airplane seat, and I want to do some serious shopping, in NORMAL stores. Having to do research to find plus size stores in both these places just doesn't sound fun! So when I'm passing Starbucks or wanting to relax rather than workout - I remind myself of these trips and it gets me going (or not going... darn you evil Starbucks!!).

Phew - how long winded was THAT!! lol..

-Aimee
SwimGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2008, 09:55 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 245/178/145

Height: 5'4

My motivation is my sons. They are only 3, 2, and 1, so I still have a chance for them to love health food. I want them to be happy and healthy, not the fat kid in class. I want to run around with them and keep up with them. I want to be the best mother to them that I can be. My motivation will not falter. We've decided we're not having anymore kids, so it's time for me to get my body back and get my family healthy.
QueenBee3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 10:44 PM   #23  
M.S. + living balance

S/C/G: 325/200's/199

Height: 5'10"

My motivation comes directly from suffering from multiple sclerosis.

I have spent SO MUCH of the last couple years in bed and or so fatigued I couldnt hold my head up. I have suffered through so much crap that I vowed that if I ever got to a decent remission I would focus on my health so I wouldnt end up sick with regrets again. (I guess the up side is I know I can persevere weight loss because I can get through MS)

I'm proving to all the people that thought- including myself - that I'm not done living.

Last edited by valpal23; 05-17-2008 at 10:47 PM.
valpal23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 07:43 AM   #24  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Motivation: It seems like weddings are a big motivation for many folks. For others, it's wanting to be different--healthier, more active, slimmer, etc. Motivation literally is what gets someone going in the beginning.

But motivation doesn't last forever. Losing weight takes time, unless you only need to lose a few pounds. When motivation starts to wane, that's when you need to have...

Commitment: You have made a contract or promise with yourself to change. You have made losing weight and keeping it off a priority. Therefore, you evaluate your choices in terms of your decision--will you say to heck with it and go out to the fast food place and pig out? Or will you remind yourself that you made a promise, and fast food isn't part of it right now? If you are committed, you'll make the better choice.

Sometimes commitment wanes, too. Losing weight is hard work--it's hard on the body, it's hard to plan all the time, it's inconvenient... And that's when you need to have...

Discipline: This simply means that you have a plan and you stick to it--whether you feel like it or not. The "zombie" approach. What? You want to skip the gym? Hmmm... If you've established that the gym is something you just do, then you'll go anyway, on automatic pilot. If you know that you can eat two eggs and piece of toast for breakfast, then that's what you'll order--not the "farmer's breakfast" with literally everything.

And so, yes, it's great that you've found motivation in your sister's wedding! I hope that you keep right on going, after the wedding is over.

Enjoy!
Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 12:51 PM   #25  

S/C/G: 211.4/207.6/150

Height: 5'7.5''

I think the thing that motivates me the most is that I live pretty far from most of my family. So I really want to be thinner the next time I see them and surprise them all!
Mommywannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 03:28 AM   #26  

S/C/G: 254/ticker/140

Height: 5'4"

My motivations...

...I want to be healthy. I want to be able to do things, not sit by the side and miss out because I don't have the stamina. I want to feel "normal" not like the fat lady when I walk into a group. (Does anyone else watch to see if there is anyone else your size?) I want to feel good and feel as though I look great!

Pandora
Pandora123a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:27 AM   #27  
Thin Within

S/C/G: 320 / 291 / ???

Height: 5'4"

My motivation is my nieces. I have 3 young nieces (7, 4 & 2) and I want to be able to run & play with them. Right now it's hard for me to actually have fun with them when they come over because I get winded so quickly. I can't chase them around and do the things they (and I) want to do. I want to be there for them and not be the "fat auntie" that I am right now. I know I can do it!
kcontreras is offline   Reply With Quote