Old 05-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #16  

S/C/G: 252/210/145

Height: 5' 4"

My standard reply to anyone's rude remark is, "So manners are optional in your family?" I actually use it on my daughter's friends when they're catty about other girls. And on my daughters, on occasion. I know it's a rude response, but I do say it nicely and with a smile!
traci in training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 07:05 AM   #17  

S/C/G: 271/219/healthy

Height: 5'4 1/2"

Photochick...I LOVE that comeback. I will file that one in the back of my mind.

Trazey - you colleague was very rude. Sometimes people just don't think - are are totally clueless to begin with.
Beverlyjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:23 AM   #18  
Freedom in living

S/C/G: ?/ticker/180

Height: 5'2"

Photochick and Traci - I will have to remember your one liners. They will enable me to have more confidence when I can say something that will hold a person accountable to what they say!
JuliaDH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:24 AM   #19  
NROL4W-Stage 5

S/C/G: 207/148.5/125

Height: 5'1.25"

OMG...that's crazy. I can't believe someone would just say that. Sorry Trazey your friend had to go thru that. Totally uncalled for. Photochick nice response
pintobean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 12:15 AM   #20  
Clawing my way back

S/C/G: 290/ticker/140

Height: 5'

They say misery loves company. Some people just like to rain on other's parade...pathetic.

I've had to endure a few rude comments myself in the year and a half I've been trying to lose weight. Most people are supportive, but some make comments that are catty...I chalk it up to plain old jealousy. Maybe they feel threatened because they're afraid I'll look better than them, perhaps I remind them that they should get off their a$$es and fix something in their lives they aren't happy about. For years, I had the "role" of being the biggest staff member...that has changed. They see me losing weight, getting attention, getting confident, and they probably don't like the change. I have been told by some of my coworkers that others at work don't that I'm getting smaller than them. That's their problem and they are going to have to get over it.

Your friend is to be commended on her loss so far.

I'll get off my soapbox now (didn't mean for it to be so long!).
Ookpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 02:36 PM   #21  
Stepping Up

S/C/G: 228/ticker/160

Height: 5ft 9.5

i would have been tempted to kick her butt.... but i probably would have calledc her up on saying it right away.

im a pretty feisty girl and dont take things like that lying down AT all.
i probably wouldnt have been very nice about it to.
PrettyPaula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 03:10 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 248/230/160

Height: 5'9"

I love all the ideas for one liners! I'm totally gonna use them. Trazey please tell your friend good job for losing the 10 pounds from us, she totally deserves the praise! That woman is an idiot. I hope your friend realizes that.Your friend and everyone here are embarking on an amazing journey, one that that woman will never have the privilege of knowing. What an idiot, I have mentally punched her in the nose!
Sgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:39 PM   #23  
KLK
Karen: La Cicciona

S/C/G: Sz 24-26 / Sz 12-14 / Sz 6-8

Height: 5' 4"

I probably would have been really immature about it and said something like "Well, at least I'm not a miserable b*tch like you."

As ookpik said, sometimes people expect others to fullfil a certain role (esp. overweight people) i.e. Office Fatty, Fat friend, Fat Sister, etc. and they actually LIKE YOU FAT because it confirms their superiority (in their own minds). If your friend is able to lose weight, where will that leave the co-worker who depends on your friend being overweight for her own self-esteem?

What DID you friend say to her?
KLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #24  
Slowly but surely

S/C/G: 195/See ticker/125

I hope she replied something.... bullies need to be put back in their place and that comment was really out of line.
Sunnya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 05:49 PM   #25  

S/C/G: Size 26/22/8

That is one of the worst things I've ever heard. Jeez, some people.
My response is usually an icy, "Excuse me?" accompanied by dagger eyes. When I'm that shocked, it's all my frozen brain cells can eke out, but it gets the point across.
cheetara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2008, 07:32 PM   #26  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

awesome suggestions!! I cut and pasted them in an email to Tammy to let her know there are some NICE and supportive people out there!!

p.s. she works somewhere else - my coworkers are stellar!!!
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2008, 09:26 PM   #27  
small goals at a time

S/C/G: 281/276/250 (For now)

Height: 5'10"

My co-workers are great, it is some of my family that can be less then supportive. My typical comeback is

It isn't a mistake unless we fail to correct it

It often stops them in thier tracks
chubbypenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:23 AM   #28  
Thin Within

S/C/G: 320 / 291 / ???

Height: 5'4"

Wow - that is so rude and hurtful! It still amazes me to this day how negative people can be. It seems like when someone shares good news, there's always someone there to say "you could have done better". There's always a nay-sayer.

Your friend is probably hurt by it - but she should know that this woman who made the negative comment probably has a lot of issues that she can't deal with and it probably makes her feel better to say hurtful things to people.

She handled it well.
kcontreras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2008, 11:43 AM   #29  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

OMg that is just horrible. We could all wish our lost pounds to find their way to her coworker.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote