Old 04-10-2008, 03:36 PM   #46  
low carbin' it

S/C/G: ~256/153.5/154

Height: 5'6

I think you make some good points. I am only 2 months into maintenance and so far it's as much work. I am not trying to lose weight so I am actually exercising a bit less, eating about the same. For me I think both things are key, exercise and diet. My diet is for life because of diabetes so I feel like as long as I stay focused on that it will help me control my food. I do think I need to stay relatively active. I do notice I walk less now than I used to but my goal is never to walk less than 3 times a week. So far it's worked.

I had a worry moment about 2 weeks ago. I went on a short trip and it's just like you said, by design you have to eat out more. You can't cook on a vacation. And you try to make the best choices but the best choices aren't as cheap as some not so good choices. I gained maybe 7-10 pounds maybe, clearly that was due to some water retention cause I also wasn't having my required daily water. Anyway, the point is I got right back on my way of eating when I got home and I am now once again at my lowest weight ever and that's only with 3-4 days of walking a week. I did go right back to walking though, can't forget either one.

I think already that I am feeling that maintenance is all about controlling spikes, if you will. You watch that scale daily and get on top of situations as soon as you can. For me this almost always involves a trip. I am going to spend about 2 months away from home this summer and I am very worried about it but I am already making a plan on how to keep active and not eat out so much.

I do feel that keeping the weight off needs as much vigilance as losing it. Sadly that's the way of life for the reduced obese. We can't let out guard down.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 04:55 PM   #47  

Pamatga -- I'm with you -- I had paid off my credit card and low and behold, it's up there again.

I see a direct correlation to my weight/eating and my spending. To me, it's an emotional/control issue. I know what I should be doing, how I should eat/spend, etc. -- but sometimes it's "easier" to let it all go.

But it really isn't easier. Sure, it would feel easier to not control myself and my bad habits but in the long run, the dicipline it takes to lose weight, curb the spending will make me a better, stronger person.

It's going to be a challenge every day but if I'm up to it, it will only reward me.

I have an irritational fear that when I lose weight those around me will point out how fat I was and it will make me feel bad or that I will gain it all back and they will make fun of me. I swear it's my alter-ego trying to get the better of me -- let me tell you -- I'm ready to wrestle her to the ground and beat the crap out of her so she will leave me alone!!!

I decided this time it's very important to live through the day -- not think about next week, next month, next year -- If I can go to bed binge free, I always wake up ready to tackle another day.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:49 PM   #48  
started 1/28/08

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluex View Post
I think already that I am feeling that maintenance is all about controlling spikes, if you will. You watch that scale daily and get on top of situations as soon as you can.
Very, very well said! This time around, that's exactly what I'm going to do.

Congratulations on making & maintaining your goal weight and getting off your diabetes meds.
Merksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 10:53 PM   #49  

Height: 5'5"

This is an amazingly good thread. I have to say, in my lifetime of ups and downs on the scale, and even in my 11 months of being relatively successful at weight control, I have related to most everything said on this board.

When I am on plan, I feel so great about what I'm eating and how I'm feeling, I can't ever imagine how or why I would go off plan. When I go off plan for more than a meal or two, it can seem pretty overwhelming to get back on plan and commit to being on plan for life. Then, I can't imagine how anyone could possibly be successful long-term. I like what Traci said, and I wish it were the same for me. I HATE eating a whole bag of Oreos, but I know that I am still - despite all of this - inclined to do that. I have eaten past the point of comfort or even pleasure too many times to believe that the pleasure of food is my motivation for eating it.

For me, when life gets really crazy, I feel like I'm doing everything I can to keep it together and I just can't manage to get the exercise in. Then, I run out of healthy food, and I realize that it's so simple just to buy the inexpensive, nutrient-poor, calorie-dense food that it's so much easier to prepare for a large family or to do the fast food thing. The simple fact is - it's way easy to gain weight. If I don't exercise, I am not at risk of being fired. If I don't fnish a work assignment, I have to start wondering about where my family will live if I lose my house. And when I am working too much, I don't sleep much, so the scale is not my friend, and it's easy to decided that it's not worth the bother.

So, I absolutely see how she could regain it. I actually wonder if I keep sabotaging my last leg of weight loss because it's easier to stay focused on losing weight than maintaining weight loss.

Trazey, good luck to you and your friend. Please let her know that we here in the trenches have nothing but respect for her ability to fight on despite the setback. No one knows how hard it is like we do!
LaurieDawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:37 AM   #50  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by shelby897 View Post
I see a direct correlation to my weight/eating and my spending. To me, it's an emotional/control issue. I know what I should be doing, how I should eat/spend, etc. -- but sometimes it's "easier" to let it all go.
I was watching Suze Orman one night and she talked a little bit about how money and weight relate. She said often times when people get their finances under control, they tend to lose weight (if they had a weight problem). She thought that was an interesting phenomenon.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 11:33 AM   #51  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

In the past I worked very hard and lost 35 pounds, three times. I regained it PLUS some each time.

How I Regained Weight:
1. I stopped weighing. Ignorance is bliss.
2. When my clothes got tight I just put on the next higher size and didnt think about it. I wore a lot of stretch pants.
3. I stopped counting calories
4. I stopped exercising.

Turn those 4 things around and you really can't gain too much without effort...

1. Weighing daily and seeing the scale creep up is a reality check, and at some point you say, oh my gosh, I have to stop. It's not a shock of waiting 2 months and weighing in 20 pounds heavier.
2. Wearing jeans or non stretch clothes STOPS you from gaining too much or you'll be walking around naked. I get rid of all the fat clothes so going up a size is just not an option.
3. Counting calories even when you are off plan makes you stop and think. No more mindless packing in the food and ignoring reality.
4. Exercise helps keep you on track and burn those calories. Keep this healthy habit.

That's my plan, anyway!
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 08:30 PM   #52  
low carbin' it

S/C/G: ~256/153.5/154

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberlover View Post
I was watching Suze Orman one night and she talked a little bit about how money and weight relate. She said often times when people get their finances under control, they tend to lose weight (if they had a weight problem). She thought that was an interesting phenomenon.
I find that really interesting. Before my journey began, I got my finances under control. I began a budget designed to reduce my debt. I started writing down everything I spent and added it all up in an excel sheet. It was wonderful and spending became harder to do when I knew I'd have to account for it later. Slowly but surely, I've climbed out of my debt and I will be debt free by this September, some three years later.

After I began budgeting, I got diagnosed with Diabetes and I found the accountability that had really helped me with money, helped with food. It was easier to avoid food when I knew I'd have to write it down. For a few months, I wrote down everything I ate, trying to figure out what spiked my sugar. Anyway, I found that discipline very helpful during my weight loss.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote