Old 02-11-2008, 09:41 PM   #16  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

Height: 5'4"

Lisa - we are blessed that my favorite thrift store is run by our women's shelter. All clothes that I donate are used by the shelter for families or sold in the store and the proceeds are used to run the shelter.

So whether I am donating or buying, it benefits women and children in crisis
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 10:44 PM   #17  
Recovering Pizza Addict

S/C/G: 273/235/150

Height: 5'4"

Hahahah! Kaplods, I've only bought pants with drawstrings for YEARS. I have a wide selection of yoga pants, sweats, knits, you name it. I hate shopping for new clothes, so I've always tried to buy things that will transition up and down with me.

Of course, one of my goals is to fit back into my old Levi's, which used to be my favorite items of clothing...
hafowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2008, 11:07 PM   #18  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I have fibromyalgia and my clothing has to be exceedingly comfortable, especially during flares. To quote someone on one of the fibro websites trying to explain what clothing can feel like for some people during a flare, imagine wearing all of your clothing backward - with sunburn.

It's really funny, because when I look at the clothes I find most wearable, they really could be worn backwards just as comfortably (except for the bras - that would be a trick!). Tunics and pants and skirts with drawstrings or soft elastic waists. I have some outfits that prove that manufacturer's can make nice, and even very dressy clothing comfortable and "flexibly sized."

I've always thought there would be a market for clothing specifically designed to span sizes, whether it be due to pregnancy or weight gain/loss (or siblings mothers/daughters wanting to share clothes). A catalog could show the outfits worn by people at various stages across the size spectrums.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 04:31 PM   #19  

I just recently found a woman who can sew quite well who is willing to tailor some of my things quite inexpensively. She's a teacher and sews as a hobby. I would much rahter do this and save my money for when I can by fabulous clothes when I am fit and thin!
bbbssheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 09:04 PM   #20  

S/C/G: 257/219/145

I had to buy new clothes for the first time a couple weeks ago. There were a lot of sales going on and I had a coupon for the JcPenney's for another 20% off any sale items. I ended up getting two pair of very nice jeans and a cute shirt for next to nothing...I never bought myself clothing when I was heavy and it feels so great to be in things that fit nicely now.

But, I had a friend with me and we found this outfit that just fit perfectly, and it looked very, very good on me. I loved it But, even with half off sale it would have been about $50 for the pants and shirt and I didn't buy it. She was trying to talk me into it, but I told her I would put out that kind of $$ when I reached goal, but not for a size I plan on growing out of in a couple more months or so.

I might try Goodwill next time, but I just have no luck finding anything in my size at the two close to us. Now that I'm in a 16, should be a 14 or so before I buy again, so I might be getting small enough to find something there.
Purplefirefly is offline   Reply With Quote